DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

9 hours ago, Casey said:

I hate Jim Cornette’s podcast schtick as much as the next guy, but it’s not like the lawyer guy is just some nobody trying to make a name for himself.

Disagree. Inside of the wrestling world, even before he started representing wrestling related law disputes, he was jizzing money all over the place to get on shows. Ultimate definition of a money mark.

The Cornette connection only came after Cornette learned he was dropping five figures advertising on MLW & WV wrestling companies. He paid his way into the business. I'm not a fan if that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

He paid his way into the business. I'm not a fan if that.

I mean, so did Conrad and Tony Khan and a lot of the non-wrestling people who get involved in the wrestling business. For me it's more about what you do once you're in and the jury's still out on P New. So far the only guys I've heard speak up in his favor are Cornette and Ace Steel but Jericho's certainly making a case for his side of things

19 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I mean, so did Conrad and Tony Khan and a lot of the non-wrestling people who get involved in the wrestling business. 

This isn't directed at you cause I definitely understand what you mean, but I love the fact that you have to establish yourself as a con man before you enter the exclusive world of other con men. It's like pregaming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This isn't directed at you cause I definitely understand what you mean, but I love the fact that you have to establish yourself as a con man before you enter the exclusive world of other con men. It's like pregaming.

The beauty is you can’t say Conrad or Tony Khan without saying “Con”

(play on words, not actually calling anyone anything)

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Octopus said:

The beauty is you can’t say Conrad or Tony Khan without saying “Con”

(play on words, not actually calling anyone anything)

You totally wouldn't do that!

**Plays ad for Wooo Wings**

On 12/21/2023 at 8:57 PM, JLowe said:

Earlier today my iPad was telling me that I had been banned and I was wondering what I did given that I haven’t posted any particularly spicy takes or attacked anyone. Turns out it was an iPad issue but all the same, with Santa doing last minute prep, I’ll be extra nice. Plus I likely won’t be able to watch this week’s shows until I’m home next week.

Funny, I have a similar situation. I have to travel to Jersey City somewhat regularly for work, and I guess there’s a very particular cell tower that some dearly departed Cash’d individual used to post from, right there by the Hudson. I pop out of the PATH and, boom, I’m IP banned, every single time. Then by the time I’m 200 yards away at the office, it’s all good.

All I can think every time it happens is that there’s Spanish restaurant right there by the train exit…

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Regarding Stephen New, let’s not forget that out of the blue he started this by intimating that he wasn’t bound to an NDA, which is ridiculous because as the attorney for Punk and Steele he too would be bound to that NDA. And then that changed to Steele’s wife not being held to an NDA.

From the little looking up I had to do, New is a very accomplished attorney who handled some really high profile cases. Dude is rich beyond belief and shouldn’t be stooping to dumb wrestling twitter bullshit to, I guess, get an additionally payday for a shoot interview? Just seems like he wants to be more involved than he needs to be.

If we’re going to call Jericho an attention whore, and that’s not wrong, then that cuts both ways.

Personally, I think it’s all dumb and everyone should shut the fuck up. Including Meltzer with his latest guess that Dana Buck is leaving because the company that just re-signed her husband, brother in law, and their two best friends to high paying contract extensions didn’t defend the Bucks or her enough. Yeah, or maybe she was ineffective at her job since the company is partnered with a shitty tshirt company and merch offerings at all shows, even two of the biggest in company history, have very very very little merch to offer. Or more likely, she’s been doing this long enough and now her husband makes more than enough and she doesn’t have to keep the merch side going and can be at home with her family more.

• Like 5

Can someone smarter than me help me with something. Apparently NDAs are in the standard employee handbook that Jericho should have. If that part is true, does that mean everyone has one? Perhaps not a standing one but one that can be enforced if events deem it necessary?

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Didn’t SPN just represent the Indy guy who copyrighted Yeet for wrestling vs the Fed? 

Yes. And in my opinion he hurt that kid more than he helped him. I'm sure he got a good payout. But the way it was handled, an injunction / cease & desist that made them blur all of the Yeet shirts in footage and photos until an agreement was reached, definitely fucked that kid's chances of ever making it to WWE. So 100k or whatever he got, he also has the largest pro wrestling company annoyed and holding a grudge against him for life now.

I know through second hand knowledge the digital team had to work extra long hours that week blurring. WWE is gonna remember that. He could have represented him in a way that let WWE continue displaying it until the agreement was reached. But instead he purposely made it hard on WWE to have a story to run back to Cornette and mark out about sticking it to WWE. That kid was a pawn in his need for affection from Jim.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Yes. And in my opinion he hurt that kid more than he helped him. I'm sure he got a good payout. But the way it was handled, an injunction / cease & desist that made them blur all of the Yeet shirts in footage and photos until an agreement was reached, definitely fucked that kid's chances of ever making it to WWE. So 100k or whatever he got, he also has the largest pro wrestling company annoyed and holding a grudge against him for life now.

I know through second hand knowledge the digital team had to work extra long hours that week blurring. WWE is gonna remember that. He could have represented him in a way that let WWE continue displaying it until the agreement was reached. But instead he purposely made it hard on WWE to have a story to run back to Cornette and mark out about sticking it to WWE. That kid was a pawn in his need for affection from Jim.

Yeah, the quick lump sum payout tends to be a reoccurring theme among people who never really go on to do anything or anything ever again in wrestling. Look at those WCW lawsuits that may or may not been frivolous in the mid 90s. They never worked for WCW again but they also likely never endeared themselves to WWF probably cause of being litigious. So yeah, you probably have to be mindful of that.

IMO that probably falls on the wrestler more than the person representing that particular person. If you're in a certain financial situation as most people working check to check are, that quick payout seems much more tempting. Foresight of potential earnings be damned.

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

Can someone smarter than me help me with something. Apparently NDAs are in the standard employee handbook that Jericho should have. If that part is true, does that mean everyone has one? Perhaps not a standing one but one that can be enforced if events deem it necessary?

I'm not a legal expert, and unless anyone has a copy they can share it's all going to be speculation, but there's probably a couple of assumptions we can make.

If there's an NDA in all employee's contracts/handbook, it's probably very generic and boilerplate. Given the nature of Brawl Out, there 100% would have been a separate NDA specific to that as part of whatever was agreed.

Given that Jericho was with the company from the start, there's also a strong chance there was no NDA or employee handbook when he started. That's the kind of thing that only gets introduced once you have a functional HR unit in a business.

• Like 1

Boxing Day 2023 marked three years since Mr. Brodie Lee passed away. One of my favourites. Tragic someone so loved passed so young. Moving to see the tributes crossing the wrestling divide, so it should be. A passing takes precedence over tribal fanbases. The Wyatt Family vs. The Shield from Elimination Chamber 2014 is a ***** match and one of the best in wrestling history. Luke Harper was the Man of the Match which is saying something considering the talent involved. I haven't watched it since Bray Wyatt's passing in August 2023. Sobering reminder two of the six are no longer here...

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

IMO that probably falls on the wrestler more than the person representing that particular person. If you're in a certain financial situation as most people working check to check are, that quick payout seems much more tempting. Foresight of potential earnings be damned.

I hear ya and agree to an extent. But from what I understand Huffmanly was pretty hands off with the case and just let SPN do his thing. And I contend that forcing the blurring was an unnesicary step that served only to spite WWE. Huffmanly didn't request that to happen. That was a SPN call.

Any agreement was going to be reached with or without the blurring. That's the part I think they will hold resentment about. There was no legally nesicary reason to do that. SPN just did it to get Cornette to pop and have something to mark out about.

12 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I hear ya and agree to an extent. But from what I understand Huffmanly was pretty hands off with the case and just let SPN do his thing. And I contend that forcing the blurring was an unnesicary step that served only to spite WWE. Huffmanly didn't request that to happen. That was a SPN call.

Any agreement was going to be reached with or without the blurring. That's the part I think they will hold resentment about. There was no legally nesicary reason to do that. SPN just did it to get Cornette to pop and have something to mark out about.

That's where the performer's lack of foresight comes in to play. 

1) Any type of litigation is going to make a potential employer nervous.

2) You cannot really afford to be hands off when you yourself most likely don't understand the legal system. This is a lawsuit against a major corporation and not your cousin hopping on TurboTax to do your annual tax return.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Something tells me this may not have been something that would have ever been in the cards anyways. I'd never heard of this guy outside of the lawsuit and decided to look him up and he's not even on cagematch. There are a few of his matches up on youtube and he's a pretty generic indy guy. Getting a go away lump sum payout from WWE is probably the biggest paycheck this guy is ever going to get, unless someone convinces TK to hire him out of pure spite.

• Like 4