DVDVR Message Board

November 2023 Wrestling Talk

7 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Has any company ever had a rule where you couldn't hold two titles simultaneously? One of my childhood e-feds had that rule, mainly because I used it as a angle to break up the tag champs when one of them won the world title.

MX briefly held World and US Tag titles, but then had to vacate the latter. 

• Like 1

Backlund and Morales vacated the WWWF tag syraps immediately after winning them because Backlund was already Workd xhamp. I think Harley was Missouri champ when he won one of his World titles and had to vacate

James

11 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Has any company ever had a rule where you couldn't hold two titles simultaneously? One of my childhood e-feds had that rule, mainly because I used it as a angle to break up the tag champs when one of them won the world title.

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wasn't that a rule in WWE? Warrior vacated the IC title after winning the world title from Hogan and Mr. Perfect won the tournament for the title by defeating Chico Santana. 

Eddie said the one I was thinking, along with the 10-years-later version in WCW with Bill Goldberg vacating the US title after beating Hogan at the Georgia Dome (which is why I was pissed off Rollins held the US title at the same time as the WWE title in '15ish - there's precedent, dammit!)

• Like 1

I was watching some of it back during the pandemic, but that IC title tournament in April/May 1990 is probably one of the first times they broke from what was on the syndicated shows (save for the odd title switch here and there like HTM over Steamboat, the Hart Foundation over the British Bulldogs, etc.). Instead of airing exclusively enhancement talent matches, they did air tournament matches up to and including the aforementioned finals with Perfect and Tito. I mean they could have thrown the final on SNME or just waited until SummerSlam, but it did give the IC title some shine.

• Like 2

having watched 1993 WCW and 1993 WWF during the year 2023, I'm thinking WCW had a deeper roster (at least during the second half of the year) but that WWF was probably doing better in business since 1993 WCW wasn't running many house shows and was a bit of a rebuilding year after cycling through multiple bosses in a short time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Corey graves and Carmela just had a son, according to Sam Adonis (Graves’ brother, for those that didn’t know).

And they named him Dimitri so he's already got a Soviet gimmick lined up when he enters the business in 20+ years.

On 11/7/2023 at 1:29 PM, Cobra Commander said:

This actually isn't the first time the WWE had a show on the CW. Remember that Saturday Morning Slam existed for a few minutes.

On one hand, I think that NXT would quickly end up in the same realm as Main Event (formerly on Ion) or 2000s Superstars (formerly on WGN America)

But on the other hand, getting the NXT shows off of widely watched cable would do wonders for being able to keep NXT guys fresh once they get onto shows that people watch. We might see the Triple H version of promoting NXT guys that we never saw in the 2010s because Vince would kneecap all the new guys.

Also, WWE SmackDown from 2006 to 2008.

Just to follow up on the CW talk, it looks like they are / or at least were trying to do a block of multiple companies. They approached AEW in 2022 about a ROH deal and TK declined, wanting to package all the rights together at the same time when AEW's are up in 2024.

So the talking point that NXT only got on the CW because NWA did that dumb coke spot isn't true. Tho the dumb coke spot costing NWA them their deal does appear to be true. (Even if their deal was just supposed to be an All Access reality show thing or that and an in ring show together).

• Like 2

On 11/9/2023 at 1:32 PM, odessasteps said:

MX briefly held World and US Tag titles, but then had to vacate the latter. 

Granted, I have only read about this in magazines and they can unreliable af, but since MX were faces at the time, they actually gave up the US Tag titles on their own accord. Then, got destroyed by the newly (and briefly) heel Road Warriors for the World Tag Titles, before tournament to crown the new US tag champions was even finished, making them look like idiots in the process. This was not helped by the fact that this was followed by their least successful year (plus) as a team, which continued until they beat Pillman and Zenk for their last reign as US tag champs at Capitol Combat'90 (which was the first WCW PPV I saw and owned on tape).

8 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Granted, I have only read about this in magazines and they can unreliable af, but since MX were faces at the time, they actually gave up the US Tag titles on their own accord. Then, got destroyed by the newly (and briefly) heel Road Warriors for the World Tag Titles, before tournament to crown the new US tag champions was even finished, making them look like idiots in the process. This was not helped by the fact that this was followed by their least successful year (plus) as a team, which continued until they beat Pillman and Zenk for their last reign as US tag champs at Capitol Combat'90 (which was the first WCW PPV I saw and owned on tape).

Conversely, this is when they were part of my favorite angle of all time, when the OMX invaded the TBS Studio and JC forever ruined his white jacket.

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 2

Eric Ritz mentioning his grandmother is WCW’s Gorgeous George in reference to Babe Ruth looking like a grandmother made me think “hey Babe Ruth as a valet name has some upsides and downsides” (if a certain wrestler couldn’t get the Gorgeous George name for his valet)

I mean there was a Beulah valet run, and Ruth isn’t as old of a name as Beulah.

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Conversely, this is when they were part of my favorite angle of all time, when the OMX invaded the TBS Studio and JC forever ruined his white jacket.

Wasn't this generally thought of as one of the best debuts/ debut angles at the time and for a long time afterwards?

Edited by Shartnado
A typo

I was watching SRL vs. Danny Lalonde last night and the co-feature was Roger Mayweather (clad with a badass robe with a giant Black Mamba on it looking like some Cobra Kai shit) vs. Vinny Pazienza. I totally forgot that Roger came out to Jive Soul Bro, which is awesome for multiple reasons.

1. The idea of antisocial (less when he was young here and more later when he was training his nephew when Floyd Sr. was in jail or wasn't getting along with Jr.) and no bullshit tolerating, super serious Roger Mayweather sauntering out with Jesse Reid to the sounds of Jive Soul Bro is some unintentional gangster shit. Also irony.

2. I also forgot it was the fight where Lou Duva, after the entire fight where Roger and Vinny Paz are punching each other after the bell to end the round sounds, goes after Roger Mayweather after the final round only for Roger to swiftly punch Lou in the face, knock him down to mat, and bloody his face up. It's some pro wrestling shit if I ever seen some. The irony here is when Roger would train Floyd (Jr.) for his fight versus Zab Judah less than twenty year later, Roger would get suspended by the Nevada commission for charging after Zab and attacking people similar to what Lou Duva did. Thing here is this was still young Roger Mayweather who is fresh from the gutter of Grand Rapids where I am pretty sure Roger and his brothers Floyd (Sr.) and Jeff were holding up liquor stores and robbing people among other things. Lou is lucky Roger just punched him cause Roger would have literally tried to kill Lou Duva if he could. Lou didn't want that smoke.

3. Roger Mayweather, if he wasn't 130-140 lbs for his entire boxing career, would have been perfect to be managed by Slick.

• Like 1