DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 - WEEK EIGHT

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I wanted Minnesota to take Floyd home but Cooper DeJean (Iowa KR) got hosed so badly. It was a brutal call by the refs.

It was the right call. It sucks but the rule is "An invalid signal is any waving signal by a player of Team B that does not meet the requirements of [a valid fair catch]." Iowa PR clearly waved and it clearly wasn't a valid fair catch signal (above his head). There's really no debate here. 

Also, Iowa had TWO years in the second half. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Defense might be saving Penix and company with a bigger pick six from deep in their own end.

I think MHJ and maybe JJ are gonna move up a bit in the Heisman watch.

I can't believe ASU didn't take the points on that 4th & 3. And, boy, did ASU get hosed on a picked up PI before that. 

59 minutes ago, Tabe said:

I can't believe ASU didn't take the points on that 4th & 3. And, boy, did ASU get hosed on a picked up PI before that. 

You can make a decent argument that Washington has now won two games mostly because teams want to go for it in the redzone on 4th and 3 instead of kicking field goals.

• Like 1

That Iowa call was an alltime bad call. We say that about every week but dang. I can’t even think of how they’re going to explain it. Usually you know what they’re going to say. You know they’re full of crap, but you do know what they’re going to say to tread water. This time I don’t even know.

As for my Seminoles, it’s a good thing that barnyard football is the thing going now because that’s what we play and that’s what bails us out even when we mess up doing it. We mess up but it’s always just a matter of time until whoever we’re playing does something else barnyard style and blows it.

12 hours ago, Tabe said:

It was the right call. It sucks but the rule is "An invalid signal is any waving signal by a player of Team B that does not meet the requirements of [a valid fair catch]." Iowa PR clearly waved and it clearly wasn't a valid fair catch signal (above his head). There's really no debate here. 

Also, Iowa had TWO years in the second half. 

I know what you meant to say but that really is what it felt like. 😂

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

That Iowa call was an alltime bad call. We say that about every week but dang. I can’t even think of how they’re going to explain it. Usually you know what they’re going to say. You know they’re full of crap, but you do know what they’re going to say to tread water. This time I don’t even know.

The explanation is easy - read the rulebook. It's literally there in black & white. You can argue the rule is dumb or whatever but the call was right and it's not even slightly debatable. 

• Like 1

the arguments i've seen online about the Iowa call seem to involve either

1) refs don't make that call often (and in this case, they wouldn't have made the call if not for having to review a scoring play)

2) the vagueness of what that means

3) the fact that the referee handling this game has been suspended in the past for not knowing the rules on his calls (Central Michigan/Oklahoma State in 2016)

58 minutes ago, Tabe said:

The explanation is easy - read the rulebook. It's literally there in black & white. You can argue the rule is dumb or whatever but the call was right and it's not even slightly debatable. 

If he’d have waved for a fair catch you’d be right but he didn’t do that.

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

the arguments i've seen online about the Iowa call seem to involve either

1) refs don't make that call often (and in this case, they wouldn't have made the call if not for having to review a scoring play)

2) the vagueness of what that means

3) the fact that the referee handling this game has been suspended in the past for not knowing the rules on his calls (Central Michigan/Oklahoma State in 2016)

I think it was the absolute right call in the letter of the law way, but not necessarily in the spirit of the rule way.  I don't think he was trying to call fair catch, but if the coverage team hit him it would have been called a penalty, so you can't let him return that punt.  It sucks, because he was just trying to communicate with his teammates who couldn't see the ball, but waving like that could easily be interpreted as a fair catch by the coverage team.  

• Like 1

On one hand, I know, they haven't played anybody.

On the other, Michigan is the first team in 30 years, and third in the AP poll era, to have scored at least 325 points and given up 50 or less in their first 8 games. (Michigan is at exactly 325 scored and 47 allowed.)

I think it's this weird state where both things are true about Michigan. They haven't played anybody yet, but they are also beating their weak schedule at a historic level. 8 straight 30+ scored, 10 or less allowed games. Pretty much every statistical and productive model has them as the best team in the country so far. Etc.

It can and is absolutely true that Michigan both has serious questions about quality of opposition and look like the best team in the country so far this year.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

If he’d have waved for a fair catch you’d be right but he didn’t do that.

He waved. And, as you said, it wasn't for a fair catch. That makes it illegal. It's undeniable that he waved. It wasn't over his head, therefore illegal. The rule is literally "any waving (that isn't a legal fair catch signal" is illegal. That's what he did. 

• Like 1

Remember, the call was specifically that he did an "invalid fair catch signal."

It definitely feels like it was the correct call at least by the letter of the rule. I have no idea how often that is actually enforced though.

In a few years, we're going to get commercials about watching that Minnesota/Iowa game from the same law firms that bring you commercials for mesothelioma and drinking the water at Camp Lejune.

"Did you watch the Gophers/Hawkeyes game in 2023? You may be entitled to significant financial compensation."