DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2023-2024: Period 1

RIPPA

I guess 2 Cups gets you in as a goalie. I never thought of Barrasso or Vernon as being great. Vernon was great in the 97 playoffs and he fought Patrick Roy and had an iconic stop in the 89 playoffs but I never thought I was watching a HOFer. Ditto for Barrasso, who had a lot of bad years, like an .865 save % in 89/90.

Pierre Turgeon is a great what-if. How much better would he have been if Dale Hunter didn't cheapshot him? 

the Sharks suck in every facet it except the new solid color home unis (which aren't even a factor tonight since they're on the road).

tonight's New Breakthrough In Suckage:  giving up a goal with .6 seconds left in the period.

while Vancouver's shorthanded.

For 5 minutes due to a Match Penalty.

Somehow they've won 3 games this year.  I doubt they'll accomplish anything else to warrant my posting in this thread again this season.

Well at least they're not threatening to relocate if they don't get a new arena [yet] so I guess there's that positive.

13 hours ago, Tabe said:

For those wondering what happened:

https://youtu.be/WOhAkdr_QdQ?si=cjJe3Q1yQV3aohmy

TL;DR - Brady Tkachuk - of course - gets a goalie interference penalty on a breakaway and fun ensues. 

Oh you just know if Matt wasn't ALREADY in the box, he would've loved the opportunity to legally beat up his kid brother.  ❤️ 

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh you just know if Matt wasn't ALREADY in the box, he would've loved the opportunity to legally beat up his kid brother.  ❤️ 

I'd want them to both lose that fight, lol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

Looks like a relatively cheap signing. I'm not a huge fan of the guy but I'll take it. 

He was SOOOOOOOO trying to sucker Pegulia into giving him a multi-year deal but thankfully he and KA didn't bite.

On 10/21/2023 at 7:34 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Not Collision, not Bound for Glory, but

Naturally the Blackhawks just released Corey Perry after finding that he “engaged in conduct that is unacceptable, and in violation both of the terms of his Standard Player's Contract and the Blackhawks' internal policies intended to promote professional and safe work environments”

The Blackhawks have specifically said that the issue(s) with Perry so not involve players or their families. So they are either lying - which would be nothing new for that franchise - or he really didn't get released because he was kanoodling with Bedard's mom. 

Lots of Wings fans upset over the officiating and announcing from last night's game with the Rangers. The officiating ignored a crosscheck to the face of Joe Veleno on a faceoff that was seen by the refs and my called. Later, a Wings d-man was crosschecked face first into the boards. Again, seen by refs no. Later, after Jake Walman had already been run from behind into the boards (which got a penalty but no power play because Detroit retaliated), Alex DeBrincat was run from behind into boards in a hit scarily similar to Lemieux/Draper. Fortunately, no injury - but also no penalty though, again, it was seen by the officials. The game winning goal was then scored on a play that at least one replay showed was a high stick. Ugh. Bad night for the refs though they did correctly overturn a penalty after Lucas Raymond grabbed a Rangers stick and hit himself in the face with it, drawing blood. Yes, you read that correctly. 

As for the announcers, the ire has been mainly directed at the response to the hits from behind, in particular the last one. Kenny Albert & Brian Boucher contorted themselves to defend the no-call while simultaneously stating the hit was right into numbers from behind. I am generally pretty forgiving when it comes to biased announcers, and generally like the work Kenny & Brian do, but they were awful last night. 

8 hours ago, Tabe said:

The Blackhawks have specifically said that the issue(s) with Perry so not involve players or their families. So they are either lying - which would be nothing new for that franchise - or he really didn't get released because he was kanoodling with Bedard's mom. 

Sounds like he may have been inebriated and done something unbecoming around team staff and corporate sponsors, and is now going to get treatment for alcohol abuse.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Scary moment in Red Wings/Senators game last night.  During a Wings power play, Dylan Larkin was positioned in front of Ottawa's net.  Mathieu Joseph attempted to crosscheck Larkin across the head and neck but ended up punching him and appeared to KO him with the punch.  Almost simultaneously another Senators player punched/crosschecked/butt-ended Larkin in the head from the front.  Larkin was knocked unconscious, splayed flat on the ice in a way that you simply never see.  David Perron sought retribution and picked the nearest Senators player and delivered a vicious crosscheck to the head and neck area of the guy, who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (totally innocent).  The two Senators players, at least one of whom should have gotten a 5, both 2 minutes.  Perron got 5 & a game and has a 5+ game suspension coming (in-person hearing already scheduled).  Larkin was eventually helped off the ice and apparently all tests came back negative, which is great news.  No word on his return.

Joseph and Larkin have a history.  When Joseph was with Tampa Bay, he ran Larkin from behind headfirst into the boards with a high hit (no penalty, of course).  Larkin retaliated with a tremendous punch that got him a suspension.  

Senators Kelly #27 appeared to be moving in for a shot on Larkin, but Larkin got knocked out and fell into the butt of Kelly's stick.

I don't think there was any intent to injure on Kelly's part and I thought the roughing call was dubious, but Joseph should have been given a game misconduct and a suspension.

Perron should have been smarter.

This can probably go in many places but will tie it to the team with a better record 🤷‍♂️.  Apparently there is an event tomorrow  with Ted Leonsis and Virginia governor Glenn Youngkin to discuss plans that the Washington Capitals and Wizards are moving out of DC and going to Northern Virginia area.  

On 12/11/2023 at 11:08 AM, Travis Sheldon said:

Senators Kelly #27 appeared to be moving in for a shot on Larkin, but Larkin got knocked out and fell into the butt of Kelly's stick.

I don't think there was any intent to injure on Kelly's part and I thought the roughing call was dubious, but Joseph should have been given a game misconduct and a suspension.

Perron should have been smarter.

Kelly led with his fist and butt end. I think the 2 was fine for him. Joseph 100% deserved five and a suspension. 

Perron, I have no problem with his suspension in a vacuum. My beef is that So. Many. Other. Equal. Or. Worse. incidents got much less or even nothing. 6 games for taking several strides and crosschecking up high? That's fine. But we see guys railed into the boards all the time with no real consequences. Jamie Benn put Dylan Larkin in a freaking halo for WEEKS with an intentional crosscheck to the neck and GOT NOTHING. That's unacceptable. But, again, I'm a vacuum, no issue with Perron getting 6.

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Kelly led with his fist and butt end. I think the 2 was fine for him. Joseph 100% deserved five and a suspension. 

Perron, I have no problem with his suspension in a vacuum. My beef is that So. Many. Other. Equal. Or. Worse. incidents got much less or even nothing. 6 games for taking several strides and crosschecking up high? That's fine. But we see guys railed into the boards all the time with no real consequences. Jamie Benn put Dylan Larkin in a freaking halo for WEEKS with an intentional crosscheck to the neck and GOT NOTHING. That's unacceptable. But, again, I'm a vacuum, no issue with Perron getting 6.

I agree with everything you said.

It didn't seem to me that Kelly's hit was as violent as the shot that Joseph dealt.

13 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

I agree with everything you said.

It didn't seem to me that Kelly's hit was as violent as the shot that Joseph dealt.

I would agree with that. Kelly's looked like your standard issue illegal play. Joseph's, not so much.