DVDVR Message Board

So what'd you get for the holidays, Murgatroyd?

Pete

Might as well get the ball rolling since the chosen people are already opening their gifts.

The SO was very good to me- she got me a Chromecast, the WWE 50th Anniversary and MST3K 25th Anniversary DVD sets, a Central Park "then and now" photo book and a 365-day sports calendar. Yay!

• Like 1

I already know what my girls got me for Christmas because my youngest is wayyy to excited about it. I also didn't actually want it but will know for next year not to make silly jokes about silly things when December rolls near. Regardless, it will be the best gift ever because they picked it...and forced my ex to pay for it.  Okay, mostly it will be great for the first part; the second part is just gravy.

I already know what my girls got me for Christmas because my youngest is wayyy to excited about it. I also didn't actually want it but will know for next year not to make silly jokes about silly things when December rolls near. Regardless, it will be the best gift ever because they picked it...and forced my ex to pay for it.  Okay, mostly it will be great for the first part; the second part is just gravy.

You know we won't actually be getting the gift so you don't need to surprise us, right?

• Like 5

I got my wife a chromecast to watch her Asian soaps and anime everywhere and a bunch of little round Bluetooth speakers so she can jam her Jpop in every damn corner of the house...so it's going to be a maudlin year filled with weeping heiresses, high-school demon hunters, and bubblegum pop.  I'm thinking of throwing in a premium subscription to CruchyRoll or Viki.com so she can skip the ads.

I also got her a long-sleeve red cardinals "undershirt" that goes under her Yadier Molina jersey, because she was jealous of those watching games on the t.v..

I think I might officially be out of the present exchanging business this year.  We stopped exchanging gifts with my side of the family when my parents went through a couple of rough financial years about a decade ago.  We all enjoyed not having to shop and spend money we didn't have on crap we didn't need, so we've stayed with it ever since.

My wife's side of the family has been firmly entrenched in gift exchange mode, but this year my Father-In-law retired and they are on a very limited budget until next year when his social security starts up.  So discussion of no gifts on this side have started.

I am GIDDY.  GIDDY!  I know this makes me sound like a miserly grinch (and I kind of am) but I can't help it.  GIDDY!

• Like 2

Yeah, they're are pretty awesome. They are also developing some really witty retorts to my B.S.

I took the girls to a play at the Kelowna Theatre last Friday. Our tickets were at the desk, and I told a funny story to the two women at the counter (in regards to how I got the vouchers to get the free tickets I was picking up), and...well, I come off as a flirt because, yeah. I am.  Anyway...as we were going to get some hot chocolate because we were early, my oldest (Zoe), asked me if I knew the two women at the counter? I said no, I was just talking to them to be polite. She accused me of flirting, and I said "I'm not flirting: your Dad is just very charming, handsome and charismatic."

To which Zoe replies, "I'm not sure what 'charismatic' means, but I *know* you're not the other two." ZING!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

No wife, no kids, so I did what any self-respecting single male in his early 40's would do and treated myself to a new xBox 360, pair of Turtle Beach headphones for said 360, and complete series of Columbo and The X-Files on DVD.

• Like 1

No wife, no kids, so I did what any self-respecting single male in his early 40's would do and treated myself to a new xBox 360, pair of Turtle Beach headphones for said 360, and complete series of Columbo and The X-Files on DVD.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

And you're going to see so much of Vito Scotti!  As you're watching, just keep a running count of how many episodes he shows up in.  Don't look it up first!

My wife and I got ourselves a sleep number bed for Christmas. Getting delivered tomorrow, pretty hyped.

Got our two year old a bunch of small stuff. First year she really kind of understands the whole Christmas thing so it will be fun to have her unwrap gifts from Santa

I work for a company that Makes and sells board games, and we get in a lot of random games for the retail stores this time of year. Simon has bizarrely been one of the more popular selections.

Isn't that part of the hipster/retro fad?  I know some bars around here have board games you can play while you're there.

The missus got me Battlefield 4 and a 2 Gingers (scotch) giftset of a bottle and glasses.  So after the family goes away on Christmas Day, I will be attempting to do online deathmatches while under the influence :b

My parents just basically gave me cash, which is nice since I will be out of work after the 31st, so I will be able to keep bill collectors at bay until my unemployment kicks in.

So far...

Godzilla Criterion(just in time for the Movie Club!)

12 Angry Men

Zero Dark Thirty Blu-ray

All About Eve BluRay Book Edition

A few pairs of socks(I specifically request strange socks)

A gift card to my favorite wine shop across the street(I'm going to go up a level in price with this badboy)

A bottle of Maker's Mark with a kewl wax dipped Christmas Ornament

Booze. Socks. Movies. And that's just the in-laws.

• Like 1