DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK FIVE

Dolfan in NYC

Also of note - the Ravens left today for their London game which is the earliest a team has ever gone over to prepare (most teams leave on Thursday - that is what the Titans are doing, who Baltimore plays)

I am happy that the Steelers ground out a win against the hated Ravens, but I have no illusions.   Pittsburgh will find a way to fuck things up and I will hate football again long before the start of the playoffs.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I am happy that the Steelers ground out a win against the hated Ravens, but I have no illusions.   Pittsburgh will find a way to fuck things up and I will hate football again long before the start of the playoffs.

Is like to point out that the Steelers are currently 3-2 and in sole possession of 1st place in a very good division. There is no reason whatsoever why they should have won 2 of those 3 games. How exactly do they find a way to fuck up? They are the ultimate fuck around and win team. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

What is the 49ers worst position group?

Cornerback.  Mooney Ward is above average but a bit shy of elite.  Deommodore Lenoir is a bit handsy, but he's getting better.  Isaiah Oliver is fine in the slot against bigger options like Darren Waller but struggles with the shiftier, quicker guys.  When they move Lenoir inside to the slot, then Ambry Thomas comes in as an outside corner and he's average at best.  I'd love to see the Niners add a corner via trade if an above average option comes available.  They have $40 million in cap space(most of which they need to roll over to next year) and 11 picks in the draft next year, so can definitely make something happen if an option becomes available in trade.

• Like 1

There are so dang many guys on the 49ers team who deserve it. They’ve never quit. Quarterback hurt? No problem. Next quarterback hurt? No problem. Guy carrying the load since quarterback got hurt, now it hurt??? No problem (Deebo those weeks). Lambeau Field and the special teams has to score all the points? No problem. 

And they’re even better now than they were those years. The 1 fear I have for them though is that Brock Purdy, as awesome and fun as he is, is always 1 death blow away from going down. He’s listen at 6’1 220 but that’s a 1980s WWF TV stat I swear to gosh. 

43 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Is like to point out that the Steelers are currently 3-2 and in sole possession of 1st place in a very good division. There is no reason whatsoever why they should have won 2 of those 3 games. How exactly do they find a way to fuck up? They are the ultimate fuck around and win team. 

AMEN.

3 hours ago, gatling said:

Cornerback.  Mooney Ward is above average but a bit shy of elite.  Deommodore Lenoir is a bit handsy, but he's getting better.  Isaiah Oliver is fine in the slot against bigger options like Darren Waller but struggles with the shiftier, quicker guys.  When they move Lenoir inside to the slot, then Ambry Thomas comes in as an outside corner and he's average at best.  I'd love to see the Niners add a corner via trade if an above average option comes available.  They have $40 million in cap space(most of which they need to roll over to next year) and 11 picks in the draft next year, so can definitely make something happen if an option becomes available in trade.

I think it's cornerbacks too,  but the only real way to exploit that weakness is if you can isolate them and beat them deep which is hard to do with their pass rush. Their linebackers and safeties are too good in coverage,  especially in a 2 deep zone,  for the corners to ever really have to cover anyone who can kill them 1-on-1. I have no idea how they are able to keep that many great players in a salary cap league, even when you take their quarterback's extremely low salary into consideration. 

Colts confirm that Anthony Richardson will miss next week but won't confirm anything beyond that saying they are waiting for more testing to be done

Giants say they feel good that Daniel Jones will be healthy to play next week

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Colts confirm that Anthony Richardson will miss next week but won't confirm anything beyond that saying they are waiting for more testing to be done

Giants say they feel good that Daniel Jones will be healthy to play next week

If I'm Daniel Jones I'd wear a neck brace for the rest of my life like Joel Gertner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I think it's cornerbacks too,  but the only real way to exploit that weakness is if you can isolate them and beat them deep which is hard to do with their pass rush. Their linebackers and safeties are too good in coverage,  especially in a 2 deep zone,  for the corners to ever really have to cover anyone who can kill them 1-on-1. I have no idea how they are able to keep that many great players in a salary cap league, even when you take their quarterback's extremely low salary into consideration. 

Regular use of the dual bonus system available to them(and the accompanying void years) and ownership being willing to spend to big cash up front on said bonuses.  Plus, they constantly re-work contracts, converting base salaries to bonuses that are paid out immediately but count against the cap a year or two after the contract is actually up.  You can see this on overthecap.com--Trent, Armstead, Bosa, Deebo, Hargrave, Kittle all have sizeable amounts of pro-rated bonuses on void years that will either count against the cap in total the year after the contract ends or will get pushed out as they re-work the contract again in a year or two.  It's all cap gymnastics and pushing things out to point where the cap rises to a level you can live with it or the players cease to be useful.  Eventually there will be a year of cap hell probably, but the guy they have in charge of their cap is pretty good at this it seems, so hopefully they don't end up in the same situation the Rams did.

6 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

And they’re even better now than they were those years. The 1 fear I have for them though is that Brock Purdy, as awesome and fun as he is, is always 1 death blow away from going down. He’s listen at 6’1 220 but that’s a 1980s WWF TV stat I swear to gosh. 

He just looks small because he's lost among behemoths:

49ers, Brock Purdy

Just once, I want to see a team do that fourth and short, try to make them jump, run the clock down thing... and then snap it at the last second to see if they are so intent not jumping you get under them and get the easy first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s a big arm but the rest of it is no match for another Eagles game imo. 

The Raiders are about like the Pats were the first few weeks. They’re a good but not great team, whose quarterback really freaking stinks. Everything is planned around his weaknesses which is what you’re supposed to do I know, but when the quarterback has 40 different weaknesses etc etc etc. 

The Packers are a little better. I don’t know why they abandoned the run. It was tedious and monotonous but it was getting past the sticks every sequence. The Raiders run wasn’t working, but because they didn’t abandon it early it started working and that was enough to squeeze out the win. They haven’t quite broke yet like the Pats did. 

Edited by BloodyChamp

Random side note: because of CBA rules, Brock Purdy isn't eligible for an extension or new contract until after next year. He's already had one body part explode in a game.

He'll probably be fine, but man... If he were to get wrecked before he ever gets real NFL money, that would suck. (And while he's clearly benefiting from the talent and coaching around him, he's also playing better than any previous San Fran Shannahan QB has, so it's probably not just the situation.)

Edited by Brian Fowler

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic