DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK FIVE

Dolfan in NYC

Denver is releasing LB Randy Gregory because the team wants to "focus on younger talent."

EDIT - As Schefter noted, they gave Gregory a 5/70 deal *this year* and now he's gone. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

There is nothing more pathetic than creating a burner account to try to defend yourself from Twitter critics. Most people are terrible at their jobs. Not only that,  almost everyone has a job in their life that they aren't quite ready for. If you put your head down and focus on catching up,  you might get there. If you create a burner account to act like your short comings aren't your fault,  you probably won't. 

Edited by supremebve

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Holy hell it's not just that handful of tweets. It's every tweet the guy has made. They are all replies, all defending Matt Canada, at least as far back as I was willing to scroll. Literally never a single tweet that isn't a reply though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, supremebve said:

The NFL Next Gen Stats track time to throw.  The following quarterbacks average less time to throw than Daniel Jones.

Tua Tagovailoa

Joe Burrow

Trevor Lawrence

Dak Prescott

Andy Dalton

Gardner Minshew

Brock Purdy

Mac Jones

Lamar Jackson

Joshua Dobbs

Ryan Tannehill

Desmond Ridder

Justin Herbert

Matthew Stafford

Baker Mayfield

Derek Carr

Jared Goff

Anthony Richardson

I would need the qualifiers on this to make any sense of it. "Less time to throw" would read like Jones' time would be artificially inflated by all the time he spends dodging and escaping the pocket. Is it really 7 seconds to throw if he's spending 4 of it rolling to his left scrambling to extend the play while being hunted down?

Numbers don't lie, but also yes they do.

6 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I would need the qualifiers on this to make any sense of it. "Less time to throw" would read like Jones' time would be artificially inflated by all the time he spends dodging and escaping the pocket. Is it really 7 seconds to throw if he's spending 4 of it rolling to his left scrambling to extend the play while being hunted down?

Unfortunately,  charts don't provide much context,  but the thing I wanted to point out is that lack of time to throw is something that can be overcome. There are a lot of factors to why they can't, but for me the #1 factor is the quarterback. With that said,  if you have a quarterback problem you can't put as much responsibility on the quarterback that the Giants do. I also don't think they should have given him that contract,  because you don't have anything around him to actually build the kind of offense you need if he's your quarterback. I personally do not believe that Daniel Jones is an NFL starter,  but they aren't helping by letting him go out there and sink or swim with the rest of that offense. The line is bad,  the receivers are bad,  without Saquon the running backs are bad,  Daniel Jones is never going to be able to overcome that. I honestly don't believe that he would be good with all of those pieces,  but without those pieces he has next to nothing to provide.

To be fair, there is a difference between time to throw and pass protection.  When isolated, the Giants are second worse in the league at pass protection.

Edited by supremebve

7 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Ain’t it the truth. I also said that numbers don’t lie, but they don’t tell the whole truth of every matter. Another thing I say is that numbers don’t lie, but it’s not a math problem it’s a game.

Kinda wild seeing the Bills #1 in pass protection. Probably a combination of the rookie OL being pretty good, having a better run game which keeps defenses honest, and Allen doing more quick throws/RB throws than usual. I imagine a lot goes into that stat beyond just OL play, but obviously its the biggest factor.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Kinda wild seeing the Bills #1 in pass protection. Probably a combination of the rookie OL being pretty good, having a better run game which keeps defenses honest, and Allen doing more quick throws/RB throws than usual. I imagine a lot goes into that stat beyond just OL play, but obviously its the biggest factor.

I don't think the running game is factored into that calculation.  I don't know how SIS or ESPN rates these type of things.  PFF watches every play and grades every player on their role in every play and takes an average of all the reps.  The thing that people miss about pass protection is how running backs and tight ends affect pass protection.  If your running backs and tight ends can block, your pass protection is a whole hell of a lot better.  I was listening to a podcast where they talked about how the Texans are cobbling together their pass protection with so many injuries and the key was that their backs and tight ends are really good with chip blocks, where they can make a block on the way out into their routes and slow the pass rush down enough to allow their receivers to get open.  Saquon Barkley is excellent in pass protection, perhaps the best in the league, Matt Breida is not.  I don't believe Darren Waller can block me.  The Giants do kind of have a perfect storm of shitty pass protection.  

32 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I don't think the running game is factored into that calculation.  I don't know how SIS or ESPN rates these type of things.  PFF watches every play and grades every player on their role in every play and takes an average of all the reps.  The thing that people miss about pass protection is how running backs and tight ends affect pass protection.  If your running backs and tight ends can block, your pass protection is a whole hell of a lot better.  I was listening to a podcast where they talked about how the Texans are cobbling together their pass protection with so many injuries and the key was that their backs and tight ends are really good with chip blocks, where they can make a block on the way out into their routes and slow the pass rush down enough to allow their receivers to get open.  Saquon Barkley is excellent in pass protection, perhaps the best in the league, Matt Breida is not.  I don't believe Darren Waller can block me.  The Giants do kind of have a perfect storm of shitty pass protection.  

I was thinking about it more in a round-about way. Like if a team is always in a passing situation or has a shitty run game, the defense is more likely to blitz/rush the QB but if the run game is really good, the defense has to account for that and may do less pressures. Not a major factor of course, just trying to justify why the Bills would be #1 since they don't have the league's best offensive line, but their offensive playcalling has definitely been more balanced and is more quick passy this year (which I'm all in favor of).

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I was thinking about it more in a round-about way. Like if a team is always in a passing situation or has a shitty run game, the defense is more likely to blitz/rush the QB but if the run game is really good, the defense has to account for that and may do less pressures. Not a major factor of course, just trying to justify why the Bills would be #1 since they don't have the league's best offensive line, but their offensive playcalling has definitely been more balanced and is more quick passy this year (which I'm all in favor of).

Yes. The meta game between offenses and defenses are all about defenses wanting to get pressure while confusing the quarterback by disguising coverage. Offenses use motion, play action,  and misdirection to slow down the rush and make the defense expose the coverage.  The Dolphins are great at making the defense abandon all these little games and focus on just trying to slow their offense down. They don't want to be beat deep,  so they put their safeties back and drop their linebackers into coverage so the line only has to block 4 pad rushers. I've seen Pete Carroll do the exact opposite,  most famously in Super Bowl 48. He finds a weakness,  and he lines up on a way that shows you that weakness is wide ass open and he dares you to try to beat him with your weakness. None of these things work independently. The 49ers and the Eagles use the run game to make you have to play lighter coverage. The Eagles entire offensive strategy is run until they have to dedicate more player to stop it,  then let A.J. Brown destroy his defender when he is alone on an island. I said it earlier this week, Jalen Hurts is an average at best passer. He's also in the absolute best possible offense with the best possible supporting cast to be successful. A bad line can be overcome with a well designed quick game.  A good line can be exploited with good secondary play. To be good you need both incredibly talented players and incredibly creative coaching to be successful. You have to be constantly looking for fat to trim to make your team better. You can highlight a quarterbacks strengths and minimize his weaknesses,  but you cannot hide your quarterback. You can literally hide any other player at any other position, but the quarterback is your team's ceiling. I think this entire week's discussion is about all of these things,  but the most important part is that Daniel Jones is a quarterback with an extremely low ceiling. 

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

To be fair the Broncos made Justin Fields looks great too.  Then the 2nd half happened 

If he sustains it this week, things are gonna get a lot more interesting regarding his future and such.