DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON 2023

RIPPA

Lopez's deal is a little wonky in that he will only make $4 million this season and then $11 million in 2025 and 2026

It has a $8 million club option with a $4 million buyout (hence where the rest of the guaranteed money is coming from)

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

For the 1st Ballot Guys:

Beltre has to get in on his 1st shot, right?  3000+ hits, 5 gold gloves amongst other accomplishments.

Mauer may not be a 1st ballot guy to some, but he's probably getting in at some point.

Others:

If it took Larry Walker 10 cycles to get in, I'm guessing it takes that long for Todd Helton to get the call?

Edited by paragon11

here's the 2024 BBHOF ballot ranked by BBRef WAR:

ARod, Beltre, Beltran, Manny, Utley, Andruw Jones, Helton, Sheffield, Pettitte, Abreu

=everybody above thls line has 60+ bWAR, everybody below it has under 60 bWAR=

Buehrle, Mauer, Hunter, Wright, Rollins, Colon, Vizquel, Holliday, Adrian Gonzalez, Reyes, Bautista, VMartinez, Shields, Phillips, Wagner, and K-Rod

The lowest non-relief pitcher bWAR on the ballot is Brandon Phillips' 28.4 bWAR

Ohtani has a higher bWAR (if you add up his hitting and pitching bWAR) than Victor Martinez/Shields/etc

Looking forward to Tony LaRussa and the rest of the Old-Timers Committee making up for the fucking embarrassing inclusion of Harold Baines by fixing the fucking embarrassing omission of Gary Sheffield pretty soon.  And then he can go back to fucking all the way off into whatever ritual he's using to remain a lich.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 5:15 PM, Hamhock said:

I don’t think that Chase Utley gets voted in immediately, but I think he will get there within a few years.

As a Phil's fan, I hope so. Case against him is obviously the short prime due to injuries. Case for him is that during that 5-6 year prime I believe he had the second-best WAR in all of MLB after Pujols, and far better than any other 2nd baseman. Case to be made he's the best 2nd baseman of the 00's. Also had intangibles of being seen as a great clubhouse leader even after his on-field abilities diminished. 

7 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Case to be made he's the best 2nd baseman of the 00's. Also had intangibles of being seen as a great clubhouse leader even after his on-field abilities diminished. 

He also had the rare achievement of being a player-owner!

Played for the Phillies, owned the Mets. /rimshot

• Haha 2

On 10/16/2023 at 9:29 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

I hate baseball and all of you.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bim4p45mua93dfg6ygwe

The Marlins have hired Vinesh Kanthan to be their Director of Baseball Operations. 

This is the guy that essentially caused Kim Ng to quit. 

1 hour ago, brynn9292 said:

The Reds signed a dude today, Emilio Pagan, to a two-year $16 million deal with an opt-out after the first year.

Not familiar with him at all but he's a reliever and they need pitching so seems like a good fit. Anyone know about him?

5 teams in 7 years. 6 in 8 now that he's signed with Cincy. 4 years under 100 ERA+ as a reliever, which is incredibly bad. But was good last year and he has had 2 other good years. 

$8m is a lot to pay for 60 innings when there's a more than 50% chance those 60 innings will suck.