DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK FOUR

Dolfan in NYC

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Al Michaels sounds like his soul was escaping his body while trying to hype Chicago/Washington.

It's probably because he remembers the scintillating Thursday night game last year between the same two teams that resulted in a 12-7 Washington win.

Edited by dogwelder

I am so conditioned as A Lions fan. Huge lead, feeling great. 2nd half starts, waiting for the bogus penalty flags and here they come. Big late hit on Goff missed in first half but bogus hands to the face* call and bogus unnecessary roughness flag and suddenly GB scores. Quick 3 & out by Detroit and I'm already sure they're going to lose. 

* - gee, we've never seen bogus hands to the face penalties on Detroit against GB in prime time before...

Edited by Tabe

50 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

How is this different from every other moment of his life these days?

Oh he sounded even more miserable than usual. Like he was struggling to find words to say to fill the air.

Jameson Williams has had his suspension reduced and is now eligible to return for Detroit in Week 5.  He brings an explosiveness that Detroit doesn't really have at the moment and has a career average* of 40.5 yards per touch.  

His reduction is part of an overhaul in punishments for gambling by NFL players.  The new penalties are:

- 2 years for betting on your own team

- 1 year for betting on another team

- betting on non-NFL sports at an NFL facility will result in 2 games, 6 games, and then a year for repeated violations

Williams was suspended under the third rule and has already served 4 games so he's good to go under the new penalties.

* - OK, yeah, he's only got two touches but one was 40 yards and the other 41.  Sue me.

Betting on your own team really feels like "lifetime ban" territory.

But, then, using Draft Kings to bet on a college basketball game while you happen to be in the stadium that has an official sports book on the concourse doesn't really sound worthy of punishment.

• Like 4

To clarify betting on an NFL game is 1 year, if your team is involved it's 2.  

The 2 year comes with a second investigation, and if it's determined that any kind of fix was involved, that would lead to a lifetime banishment.  

That's what Schefter said the new policy was

• Like 1

I wish the Bills and Dolphins were on SNF. It’s not that Zach Wilson sucks, it’s that he’s kicked while he’s down nonstop. I probably won’t even watch it. I know he does suck but there are alot of things wrong with the Jets. I don’t remember the 49ers or Cowboys just quitting when their quarterback went down last year. So add all that together and I would go as far as to say that Zach Wilson could attempt catchable passes if he had time to plant his foot and follow through with his arm, just as sure as I am that people would make excuses for Aaron Rodgers if it were him (granted that wouldn’t be the case with him because the team would be motivated imo).

Now Bills and Dolphins wow…this is biggest game of the year so far just for the football of it all. No fabricated drama. None needed.

I’m a huge fan of many guys on both of those teams even though they’re not my team. A bunch of those guys have missed some breaks but they’re finally on the fringe. It’s going to be sad for whoever loses this game for now, and for whoever loses in the playoffs again down the road. 

25 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I wish the Bills and Dolphins were on SNF. It’s not that Zach Wilson sucks, it’s that he’s kicked while he’s down nonstop. I probably won’t even watch it. I know he does suck but there are alot of things wrong with the Jets. I don’t remember the 49ers or Cowboys just quitting when their quarterback went down last year. So add all that together and I would go as far as to say that Zach Wilson could attempt catchable passes if he had time to plant his foot and follow through with his arm, just as sure as I am that people would make excuses for Aaron Rodgers if it were him (granted that wouldn’t be the case with him because the team would be motivated imo).

Now Bills and Dolphins wow…this is biggest game of the year so far just for the football of it all. No fabricated drama. None needed.

I’m a huge fan of many guys on both of those teams even though they’re not my team. A bunch of those guys have missed some breaks but they’re finally on the fringe. It’s going to be sad for whoever loses this game for now, and for whoever loses in the playoffs again down the road. 

Zach Wilson sucks, but it isn't his fault he's in this position.  I 100% agree that we don't have to keep kicking him while he's down.  

Kirk Cousins, being Kirk Cousins on the other hand deserves all the ridicule.  He's just good enough to get your hopes up, but just bad enough that he's going to kick your expectations in the nuts every time.

You know what is a dumb rule?  The no face guarding rule.  We're asking a whole lot for someone to have to cover a guy who can run 20+ miles per hour, and then turn around and find a ball that may or may not be coming to knock it down.  If the quarterback throws it and hits you in the back of the head, you somehow did a bad job.

Kirk is getting treated unfairly also imo, but he’s a Gozillionaire and is pretty good at tuning the rest out without looking to Jay Cutlerish about it. I did see the INT just now though. Something weird is wrong with the Vikings. A team that talented in year 2, coming off of an overachieving year 1 has never came out this flat. 

The Bills just got way too cute down there at the goal line. Allen bailed them out but they should have just ran it to start with on 1st and goal. If they keep doing that they’re going to slip up eventually.