DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 9/25 - 10/1/2023

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

Random question: Who is the best technical wrestler in WWE now?

Feels like this depends more on your definition of technical wrestler. Are we talking mat wrestling, Benoit/Bret, or gimmick+quality wrestling/promos?

Edited by Eivion

With the upcoming Women's Breakout Tournament (bracket to be revealed at No Mercy), my speculation is that we can reasonably predict finals as

Spoiler

Kelani Jordan v Lola Vice

with ... I would speculate

Spoiler

Palmer and Petrovic dropping in semis, respectively.

Edited by Iron Moose

6 hours ago, Iron Moose said:

With the upcoming Women's Breakout Tournament (bracket to be revealed at No Mercy), my speculation is that we can reasonably predict finals as

Hide contents

Kelani Jordan v Lola Vice

with ... I would speculate

Hide contents

Palmer and Petrovic dropping in semis, respectively.

A possible wildcard would be Olympic gold medallist Tamyrah Mensah Stock, should they decide to debut her here. Otherwise your picks look good.

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2023 at 12:58 AM, caley said:

Also Shawn Michaels office being seemingly built out of balsa wood.

I'm kind of fascinated by how someone in WWE/NXT is completely enamored of Noam Dar. He was one of the few cruiserweights to get promo time during the initial cruiserweight division; goes to NXT UK and gets the Heritage Cup; brought into NXT with a big hype video and the entire Heritage Cup division built around him; given his own group to lead; gets a tournament to face him and they set up a special lounge for him to watch the show from. Someone(s) must really love him. I haven't seen a ton of his matches. What would he be in the ring, say average, slightly above average? Promo-wise, he's got that great accent and oblivious a-hole character down pat, but he doesn't seem as can't-miss to me as one would think justifies this much attention and hype. But someone really must be in his corner, so I wonder if he ends up being one of the biggest stars from this crop of NXTers.

Trick's reaction and presentation on this episode really made him look like a superstar-in-waiting. 

I'm curious where they're going with Thea. I mean, the Chase U gimmick probably isn't transferable to the main roster but I'm not sure the new one will set her apart either. 

Baron Corbin seems like he's having a lot of fun in NXT, and i still love how Bron looks like his dad but sounds like his uncle. Undertaker is gonna sue him for gimmick infringment if he keeps sitting up like he did on top of that truck. Also, the POV shot of the fire extinguisher coming at the camera was so bizarrely random, it reminded me of that one Arrested Development where they had "gimmicks" to try to get people to watch the show including a "3-D" scene where Gob randomly throws a tomato at the camera.

I think that Dar is one of the NXT UK guys that has a gimmick and commits to the character in a way that the WWE creative/producer guys like. He's fine as a wrestler (not the best, not the worst) so that's why he gets featured.

16 hours ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

A possible wildcard would be Olympic gold medallist Tamyrah Mensah Stock, should they decide to debut her here. Otherwise your picks look good.

That would be wildly unexpected and chaotic and now I will be disappointed if it's not the case.

Also, this works equally well as a response to Shadow's post 😄

Smackdown was a home run. What a great show! I could go on and on but two things. One, Jimmy Uso has low key become my favorite character. He was kinda floundering for a bit during the Bloodline civil war shit, but now he's awesome as a chaos agent crazy heel.

Two, the way they weaved in the Lashley/ Profits stuff in the talk show with Rey vs Escobar, one of the best matches I've seen in a long time, was brilliant. It cemented the Profits heel turn while explaining why Escobar forgot about being upset about losing. I was waiting for the heel turn and instead the LWO are strong and cursing in Spanish backstage in the trainer's office. It was so well booked, and the whole show was as well. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2

Opening segment with the Bloodline and Anderson coming out for revenge was nice. Karl/Jummy was solid and didn't overstay its welcome. 

The Grayson Waller Effect was short and solid as a segment. Dug the segway into Theory/Grimes which was sadly too short though it was nice to see it not be a total squash.

Rey/Santos was so damn good and got plenty of time. I kind of love how much Santos clearly saves for his bigger matches. He had some great offense in this that was perfect for Rey to take. Dug how much the two clearly know each other from both mutual admiration and teaming together. The finish was clean and perfect. The post match attack by the Street Profits was a great way to cement the heel turn. I also loved Dragon Lee having to be held back by security.

Charlotte/Bayley was good. Loved that elbow drop from the apron bayley delivered before commercial break alongside the later snap finish. That had to be one of Charlotte's best spears. That collision was kind of crazy and made me feel sorry for Bayley. The post match with Asuka and setting up the triple threat for Fastlane worked though I would much rather see Io against Asuka or Charlotte separately. Still feels like there is a truly great match with both women though the triple threat should be good at the very worst.

Dug Jimmy and Solo wrecking people backstage throughout the night. Added a nice chaotic feel and helped make the final segment even better with Cena finally arriving, fighting off both, getting beat down, and the eventual LA Knight save. Knight was already a made man, but that reaction was fantastic. I only wish we didn't know Knight was Cena's partner already due last week's original plans leaking. Feels like it would have made the moment even more special.

The booking was pretty solid and di a good job building up the big Smackdown matches for Fastlane and furthering along other stories. Match wise the final two matches delivered and were well worth catching in Rey/Santos & Charlotte/Bayley. Rey/Santos in particular was great and makes me hope Santos has at least a short run with a singles belt eventually.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, on LVL UP :

Fallon Henley's hot streak continues with a fun, solid match against a returning Ariana Grace, who is now workshopping a beauty queen gimmick (although a "you may kiss my hand" moment feels more like generic princess. )

Grace gets a few moments to cut a promo about how she's happy to be back, we can call her Miss NXT, and that her first act is to teach humiility to the classless brute Fallon Henley. Henley reacts well through the entire bit - she's happy to see Ariana back, bemused and a little impatient as she goes on, and then skeptical, offended, and increasingly irritated as the match goes on. Henley moves fast, hits her stuff clean, and I get the impression that Grace has a good instinct about the level to which she should be selling, for example, a glancing blow compared to a more impactful one. Grace also gets bonus points for, when she tries a feet-on-the-ropes roll up, pushing off the rope with her foot to add to the leverage. It kind of feels like the NXT Women's Division pendulum swung to gymnasts and combat sports and this is a brief swing back to  delightful character schtick.

Myles Borne (w/ Gulak, Dempsey & Kemp) d Riley Osborne - it's my first time seeing Riley. His pre-match promo is a bit grating (he has a lot of energy! he's excited!) and his entrance might induce seizures, but he's very quick and flippy. He does that weird UK sequence with offering his thigh before going between his opponent's legs, and then a few seconds later he does the same kind of flip out of a hiptoss that Sol did a bunch. There's a fantastic transition where Borne kicks him out of midair, and they have some nice peppy exchanges throughout before Myles wins with a dragon sleeper (after Riley misses a shooting star and lands on his feet. ) Good work from both.

Oro Mensah (w/ Meta Four) d Tavion Heights - Mensah is a bit of a mystery. The contrast between the Little Mermaid palette and the painful kicks is a lot. Heights has some good power spots, but this overall left me a little cold. Still, really solid episode from top to bottom.

Edited by Iron Moose
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Iron Moose said:

Meanwhile, on LVL UP :

Fallon Henley's hot streak continues with a fun, solid match against a returning Ariana Grace, who is now workshopping a beauty queen gimmick (although a "you may kiss my hand" moment feels more like generic princess. )

Grace always had a beauty queen gimmick.

On 9/29/2023 at 1:37 AM, Iron Moose said:

That would be wildly unexpected and chaotic and now I will be disappointed if it's not the case.

No TMS, but we did get a couple of wildcards in Jakara Jackson and Ariana Grace. I call them wildcards because we have no idea how they will be slotted. Will Jakara get the big push because she's in a featured program or will she get jobbed because she is mostly a tag team wrestler (so far). Grace was in last years tournament, but has since been out with a knee injury for almost the entire year. Will they give her a big push, or take a wait and see approach?

The totally unknown is Jaida Parker who hasn't even been on LVL Up yet. I would assume she will be a jobber, but you never know.