DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 9/18 - 9/24/2023

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Am I allowed to post during Raw? Because I cannot be crazy in thinking Kofi and Ivar just brought the house down tonight in one of handful of best free TV matches of the year? Where the hell did that come from?

If Jim Cornette and his ilk were honest, they'd scream until their throats burn that Kofi shouldn't have kicked out of that moonsault. Because Kofi shouldn't have kicked out of that moonsault.

Waiting for someone to say NXT is now WWE's ROH. Something something diluting the brand.

Dom/Cody was a squash and rather pointless. The post match with Sami, Owens, and Cody should been a backstage segment.

Kofi/Ivar was a welcome surprise and pretty damn great with the two going deep. Pity we didn;t get the planned 2/3 falls match between their respective team, but this match was a welcome replacement. Only thing I disliked was Kofi kicking out of the moonsault since it felt like a bigger finish for Ivar.

Nakamura/Ricochet built into something good. I kind of dug Nakamura pissign Ricochet off enough for Ricochet to get himself dqed with the chair shot. The pre and post match stuff with Seth was great as well. This Nakamura/Seth feud continues to be such a highlight on Raw and the best thing from either guy in years. I only wish Nakamura would win in the end.

Shayna/Zoey vs. Chelsea/Piper was decent up until everything got thrown out from Nia's involvement. I actually thought that part was done generally well. As terrible as Nia can be, she has gotten big reactions as a heel and played up the dickishness well. I kind of like her being set up as the biggest villain of the division and wonder if this is playing a bit off of Rhea leading the charge to kick Nia's ass out of the Rumble earlier in the year. Its pity they are giving this to Nia instead of Raquel. This could have been the thing to help her breakthrough finally.

Gable/Reed was good. Its a pity to see Gable lose, but it sort of makes sense given the recent loss to Gunther. Guessing they didn't want throw him back in to gain the IC belt immediately after Gunther had his moment. 

Becky/Nattie was good. Didn't love seeing Nattie as the challenger, but I did like Nattie's fire and them referencing the history between her and Becky. If they do this again I kind of hope Nattie brings up Cora Jade to challenge next time.

Ciampa/Vinci was nice. Glad to see Ciampa get the win and them pushing for Ciampa/Gunther II. Its been nice seeing Ciampa go back to his NXT personality in recent matches & segments. He is one of those guys that is best with that KO-esque attitude. 

Drew/Jey built into something good as it went on. I thought the Judgement Day interference was well used, and the finish with Jey's refusal to join was well done. Dug the post match with Drew unsure of his stance on Jey before Cody came down to save the day instead.

Pretty solid-good show match and angle wise. the shades of gray bits have been surprisingly done well and mostly make sense whenever they come up.

• Like 3

Note: It is best to save all your posts before submitting because of this fucking board cutting you off with the sign-in trick*. Between that and not being able to post Youtube videos with more than a link, I'm getting pretty pissed at it. 

ANYWAY. I didn't watch all of Nakamura/Ricochet but what I did was good. Dug the dropkick to the face to cut off the handstand-springboard thingamajig (Muta's powerdrive elbow? Is that what he does?). Seth walking right into the back body drop on the chair, and Nak keeping it simple with how he abused the back was nice. Of course Seth's wardrobe wasn't embarrassing enough so he fully changed and added the worst looking shades he could find at Buc-ee's. 

The open challenge had to be a Vince move to rib the audience by dangling the possibility of Jade in the audience's face, whether she's coming or not. 

* You hit reply; instead of posting, it kicks you out of being logged in and you lose your post. Copy ahead of time!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I wonder what audience of the WWae audience doesn't know who Jade is. 

Well, I think AEW being 5 years into this and being a solid #2 in the American market, should be enough to get a very good reaction.  

I mean, I remember back in 1999 when RSPW was unsure if this dude would get a good reaction, and he did okay:

IqgdTN.gif

Apples and oranges, but still.

• Like 2

I'd think there are probably a decent % of the wwe audience who only watch their content. They may know some of the more high profile aew people like the EVPs (for a number of reasons). But I don't know  for certain about the "homegrown" talent be it Jade or OC or Britt or Darby. 

• Like 1

That was such a great bit from Nakamura after he beat Seth's ass again.

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I'd think there are probably a decent % of the wwe audience who only watch their content. They may know some of the more high profile aew people like the EVPs (for a number of reasons). But I don't know  for certain about the "homegrown" talent be it Jade or OC or Britt or Darby. 

There are plenty of WWE fans who don't even know NXT wrestlers, and that is within the WWE umbrella. It really is a 50/50 chance for anyone not at they very top jumping. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I'll third(or fourth) that Kofi shouldn't have kicked out of the moonsault. If they were going have Kofi win the match then they probably should have just had Ivar miss the moonsault. That said Kofi and Ivar really went out and put out a match that made up for the original match not happening and made me really want the 2 out of 3 fall tag match even more. With New Day looking extra motivated and Viking Raiders continuing to look great, I think they have a shot at topping their Viking Rules match from Smackdown. Now if only the tag titles weren't stuck in single wrestler purgatory.

On the Jade thing, I do wonder if you don't hold off and have her debut in a city where AEW does good business. You're in Chicago for Survivor Series or if you're going wait even longer you have the Rumble in Tampa.

Not much to say about NXT. I missed the first match which is really only one of two I was interested in. The other was Rok-C vs. Lola Vice. Good chain wrestling in this one, short and sweet, but I dug it. Also notable for (to use a classic DVDVR phrase) midnight choker reasons... let's just say that Ms. Vice's paunts made her hindparts look like a bowl of a certain gelatinous dessert.

Butch/Bate was great. Loved Butch knowing how counter a lot of Bate's cuter tricks and the later move stealing. Teasing the draw only for that head drop finish to happen was pretty great and shocking. 

Joe/Duke was solid. Dug Duke winning to set up the triple threat for later. 

Roxanne/Lola was pretty nice. Lola is so much damn better than she should be given her experience. She has the attitude down, and knows how to apply her legit skills to wrestling. Kind of love that she had the advantage over Roxanne the majority of the match with Roxanne having to resort to a flash pin after all the damage her arm took. I'll be shocked if Vice doesn't win the Breakout tournament to set up her vs. Becky.

Loved Dom/Melo. Had a great start with Dom being such a cheap bastard and Melo being a fired up angry face to counter. The later fuck finish was well executed with Dom trolling Ilja with the slap and getting a dq win from Ilja's payback. The post match was nice as well. 

Coffey vs. Frazer vs. Hudson was pretty damn good. Just all action from beginning to end with all three guys getting their time to shine. The finish was good and a nice way to give Duke a little protection. Also dug the pre-match segment with Chase pumping Duke up for this match. They really need to give Chase and Duke the tag belts at some point.

Becky/Lyra vs. Tiffany/Kiana was good. Plenty to love here with the ambush, the Lyra save, everyone generally meshing well as teams, etc. Lyra picking up the win was surprising but nice and well done. The post match attack with Stratton getting her heat back and setting up the extreme rules aspect of the No Mercy rematch was good.

Thought tonight was a pretty good episode with plenty of good wrestling and storytelling building to current and future feuds. While I assume Dom's NXT run is coming to an end soon to either dragon Lee or Ali, a part of me hopes he sticks around longer. I would love to see bigger rematch with Melo with the NXT title on the line at PLE. Beating Dom for the title would also be a great way to end the story with Trick trying to find his own way instead of a predictable Trick/Melo feud.

• Like 2

Think from the time the brackets were announced that Butch and Bate was the match everyone was looking forward to and it didn't disappoint. They've obviously had better matches before and have better matches in them(which feels like the story of all the tourney matches) but they put on a really good 12 minute tv match. Loved Butch pulling the nasty side out of Bate and both of them countering and borrowing each other moves. Love the ending building on the Axiom/Butch match where after Axiom kicked out of the Bitter End he didn't know what to do, where tonight when Bate kicked out he just went ahead and hit a nastier move to get the win.

Think Duke's stock probably has risen the most from the tourney. Going into the tourney he kinda felt like an odd inclusion but I feel like he held his own throughout. I like Coffey being framed as a legit singles threat after having been mostly a mouthpiece since Gallus came back. Wasn't surprised that Duke setup the tie, was surprised that they did the 3-way tonight and that it wasn't a way to put Frazer in the finals. TakeOver Blackpool rematch in the finals!

Liked what I saw from Lola and it does feel like they're high on her. That said I find it kinda distracting when the PC crowd decides that they're going chant(or boo) for someone in a manner that really doesn't reflect what they've actually done on TV. Reminds me a little too much of the old Impact Zone crowd.

I appreciate how much they seem to scale Dom's offense and control segments by the "caliber" of opponent he's facing. He gets to show off a lot more of his offense and actually hits it on NXT, where on Raw/Smackdown he is more of a punching bag. Liked picking up the DQ win, causing Melo to take the Torpedo Moscow, only to get his comeuppance and eat the superkick from Dragon Lee. 

The Scrypts/Brono/Lucien segment wasn't anything horrible and at least gave them some time. Can't say that I'm particularly excited about them vs. Hank and Tank next week either. Also while No Longer Los Lotharios seem to be a lock for a four team tag match at No Mercy, it's kinda a bummer how they've been given basically no time to define their new gimmick after the vignettes.

Liked the main event. Tiff continues to look good, they continue to do a good job of presenting Lyra as a big name on the NXT brand, and feel like Kiana is really getting a chance to show her stuff.

Plus I feel like they already set up five matches for next week's show. Coffey/Dunne should be good but I'm really looking forward to see what Dijak and Thorpe can do with a strap match.

• Like 1

Some minor details from the meeting from WrestlingInc

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1398914/details-wwe-staff-meeting-led-ari-emanuel-vince-mcmahon-triple-h-nick-khan/

I dunno when they will release talent. If they do at all. 

The WWE Corporate website is rendered outdated even if it still gets updates.

World Wrestling Entertainment, LLC (2023) replaced the defunct World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. At one point it was going to be called WWE, LLC but they nixed that.

Vincent Kennedy McMahon started Titan Sports, Inc. in 1980 (the name lasted from 1980–1999), then it became World Wrestling Federation Entertainment, Inc. (1999–2002) then World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (2002–2023).

14 hours ago, 赤い竜 said:

I dunno when they will release talent. If they do at all. 

I'm sure they will have some releases now that the merger has gone through, simply because that is what WWE has always done and it seems they have held back from rocking the boat pre-merger. I doubt there will be mass-releases, and I expect they will wait for contracts to expire when it comes to big names.

I do wonder if they will take this as an opportunity to get rid of some "job for life" types (I'm looking at you Tamina Snuka) and blaming it on Endeavor.

• Like 1

Cross posting from the big thread 

WWE announces new 5-year U.S. TV deal with NBCU that will return Smackdown to USA Network beginning October 2024.

TKO press release:
"[B]eginning in the 2024/25 season, WWE will produce four primetime specials per year that will air on NBC, marking the first time WWE will air on the network in primetime."

This doesn't seem to indicate a renewal, at least yet, of Raw and NXT.

"WWE Monday Night Raw and WWE NXT will continue to air on USA Network through September 2024."
investor.tkogrp.com/news/news-deta…

• RIPPA locked this topic