DVDVR Message Board

The Termination of CM Punk by The Coward Tony Khan

Elsalvajeloco

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So does Hunter do business with Punk or is this the end of Punk in any type of major company?  

There is that narrative of, "I can control him and you cannot...".

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

So does Hunter do business with Punk or is this the end of Punk in any type of major company?  

jobbing Punk to Roman Reigns in 3 minutes for his first match back feels like an idea to either get a hilarious result or kill the idea of Punk being there

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Haha 3

I wouldn't be surprised if nobody senior at WWE wants to work with him or give him the satisfaction of negotiating a comeback, but they could probably do a more Goldberg-y schedule where he comes in to work with someone he can get on with, every single aspect of the feud is carefully agreed on and signed off in advance, and he gets delivered directly to Gorilla position in a Hannibal Lecter cage gurney thing and then shoved out to ringside

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

jobbing Punk to Roman Reigns in 3 minutes for his first match back feels like an idea to either get a hilarious result or kill the idea of Punk being there

Bringing Phil back to make Roman look strong. *chef kiss*

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Let me tell you who is the safest motherfucker in the history of wrestling right now: Phil Brooks.

Until that new TV deal gets worked out, he ain't going nowhere unless it's of his own volition. Even then, there is likely a provision in his contract that makes that super tough just like a WWE contract. So I dunno why folks are going back and forth about this.

This comment from two hours ago... did not age well lol

• Haha 3

I'm not going to speak for anyone else (JFC, Casey) but this honestly doesn't hit as hard as it would have a couple of weeks ago. I really wanted to see that strap match but it is what it is. The guy was miserable. It wasn't going to get better. That was obvious. There wasn't a secret code to get through this. It was just going to blow up again and again. My honest hope is that Collision stays on the path it was on even without Punk and that it's an alternative to some of the stuff in the company I don't like. I like 85% of the roster in one way or another. The combination of Punk and all of the hires that WWE let go changed the trajectory of the company and that genie is out of the bottle. 2019 isn't coming back. I guess let's see what late 2023 and onward looks like.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 9

16 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Just now, John from Cincinnati said:

Starting from a position of a few notable top guys not being thrilled about working with him, that’d be quite the roll of the dice. 

Seth Rollins was pretty emphatic on that red carpet that he felt Punk is a "cancer" and I've read over the years that various writers and network suits have pitched his return, to WWE's refusal. But as always, if there's money to be made, anything is possible.

• Like 2

I gave Punk a lot more rope than most, but yhea a certain pattern of behavior here.

Re: ticket sales; I remember Bruce Prichard talking about early IYH shows that where value priced (20$ for 2hrs instead of big four which where 3 for $30) he said it didn't affect buys, so they when with 3hrs across the board. If people like the card they will buy it regardless of price. I would imagine its the same with ticket sales as long as you don't price yourself out of your market people will buy a ticket to a hot product regardless of price.

Re: getting hot; I feel the special guest appearance way of booking both helps and hurts (This week its Suksuki! Will Osprey! Ishii! Jeff Cobb!) sure keeps us away from the endless rematches and 50/50 booking that was WWE for so long. But yhea those random appearances mean you might not see your favorite when buying a ticket weeks or months out.

Also it comes at the expense of longterm stakes, sure the matches are cool but if I just want matches I can go to youtube for that, if I'm going to follow a weekly wrestling program I want to feel like I'm stepping into a world. Like when I watch Seinfeld, or Simpsons or Alway Sunny its "what is the gang upto this week". And that comes from booking on going storylines and matches with stakes not just acting like a random match generator  

• Like 2

Just now, John from Cincinnati said:

Starting from a position of a few notable top guys not being thrilled about working with him, that’d be quite the roll of the dice. 

Well, I mean they don't have to necessarily. Shit, he would be going from a soft brand split to another brand split.

51 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

GAB 1991 on paper and in reality was also one of the worst cards in PPV history. You would be hard pressed to find cards as bad as Great American Bash 1991. In that 30+ years since then, there have been other crowds that hijacked other shows that were better. GAB 1991 was the beginning of the end of Jim Herd in WCW. Havoc and Starrcade 1991 being also bad sealed the deal. 

I was at that show and it was every bit as horrible as it looked on PPV.  Why they couldn’t hastily throw together an 8 man tournament for the title instead of that shitshow is beyond me.  Everything else aside, Luger starting his long-awaited title reign by beating Windham, at the time a lower miscarder who was barely in sniffing distance of the TV belt, was horrible.

I think I need to rewatch it.  😂

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I gave Punk a lot more rope than most, but yhea a certain pattern of behavior here.

Re: ticket sales; I remember Bruce Prichard talking about early IYH shows that where value priced (20$ for 2hrs instead of big four which where 3 for $30) he said it didn't affect buys, so they when with 3hrs across the board. If people like the card they will buy it regardless of price. I would imagine its the same with ticket sales as long as you don't price yourself out of your market people will buy a ticket to a hot product regardless of price.

Re: getting hot; I feel the special guest appearance way of booking both helps and hurts (This week its Suksuki! Will Osprey! Ishii! Jeff Cobb!) sure keeps us away from the endless rematches and 50/50 booking that was WWE for so long. But yhea those random appearances mean you might not see your favorite when buying a ticket weeks or months out.

Also it comes at the expense of longterm stakes, sure the matches are cool but if I just want matches I can go to youtube for that, if I'm going to follow a weekly wrestling program I want to feel like I'm stepping into a world. Like when I watch Seinfeld, or Simpsons or Alway Sunny its "what is the gang upto this week". And that comes from booking on going storylines and matches with stakes not just acting like a random match generator  

I don't think WWF was ready to do 12 PPVs in a year in 95-96 and early 97. You can tell that they panicked cause they would announce the PPV main event for the next month before the last PPV ended (meaning right before the PPV went off air) or the first Raw after the PPV. They had NO faith that any of those main events could draw with only 3-4 weeks buildup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

. 2019 isn't coming back. I guess let's see what late 2023 and onward looks like.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic about the possible Collision/Dynamite overlap because I'm curious to see what, if anything, changes narratively with TK's booking (good or bad) having another prime time show of substance as opposed to Rampage which kinda varies between third Dynamite hour and televised Dark.

13 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I just checked and it doesn't appear that Punk was at the CFFC show last night doing commentary. They also have a show tonight. If he is there, that could get interesting.

I'm watching SRS on YouTube rn and he's speculating about possible disparagement clauses/NDAs and that sort of thing

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Guessing there are still enough people around in power who would rather not work with Punk at this point. If we see Punk on WWE tv it will either be because of some deal like Fox had with him years ago or for the HoF. I doubt Punk himself would be interested because he would never get the level of power he had in AEW.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm not going to speak for anyone else (JFC, Casey) but this honestly doesn't hit as hard as it would have a couple of weeks ago. 

I’m bummed, but it’s been a slow moving disaster so it’s not like I just got run over by a truck. It’s a shame we can’t get back to how satisfied he seemed to be at the Revolution 2022 scrum. Hope he feels he has more to offer in the future. If not, grateful for what we got.

• Like 7

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm watching SRS on YouTube rn and he's speculating about possible disparagement clauses/NDAs and that sort of thing

What about veiled references?

Also, I could also see someone like John Morgan saying, "So Punk, I hear you're looking for a job now. We have an opening at MMA Junkie."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

The Hangman & Kingston "promos" look prophetic now.

Sure do. I'm sure many will also be quoting Mox over the next few days

You should take the time to really enjoy CM Punk while he’s here. Because he’s not gonna be here much longer. Fragile mind. Fragile ego. Fragile body.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Guessing there are still enough people around in power who would rather not work with Punk at this point. If we see Punk on WWE tv it will either be because of some deal like Fox had with him years ago or for the HoF. I doubt Punk himself would be interested because he would never get the level of power he had in AEW.

Anything is possible after WWF officials flew out to Arizona to meet with Warrior and he talked about Destrucity, and they STILL signed him. Different era definitely, but it wouldn't be even #1 in the "how the fuck did this happen" category.