DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 8/14 - 8/20/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Probably getting our first matches for Payback, which is that show the day before that other show.  

Tonight though...  it's a "Gee, I wonder who's gonna win this one?" Match: 

Friday, for the first time ever (?!) it's Edge vs. Sheamus. 

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Probably getting our first matches for Payback, which is that show the day before that other show.  

Tonight though...  it's a "Gee, I wonder who's gonna win this one?" Match: 

Friday, for the first time ever (?!) it's Edge vs. Sheamus. 

I read that as Thigh Stratus. Settle down, Naturaletico.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Decent enough Raw, nothing too exciting, seemed mostly there to set up stuff for next week.

Love them saying every week how dominant the Judgment Day are, when they continue to lose and lose and lose. "They are united and stronger than ever!" Dude, they just lost on a miscommunication finish, again.

Really thought Drew was turning on Riddle, with the half assed mystery partner thing and Riddle taking 90% of the match.

• Like 1

Sami/JD built into something nice. Was glad to see Sami pick up the victory.

Gable/Vinci and Otis/Gunther were both pretty solid. So happy they gave us the latter.

The Chelsea/Pearce segment was fun. Have to admit I'm kind of disappointed we won't get Chelsea's Got Talent segments. On the other hand I was pleased with how Piper forced her way in. Piper is one of those I think would have been better off on Smackdown to be a heel monster there. Hopefully they give her a decent chance to showcase with this move.

Riddle/Drew vs. Viking Raiders was another soldi match. Was slightly surprised Drew never turned on or abandoned Riddle with how they built the match up. Perhaps they go that route next time when we get them vs. New Day.

Indi/Rhea was fine. Worked mostly as a semo-competitive squash with Rhea dominating the vast majority. Indi didn;t look bad here. Was kind of happy to see Indi and Candice walking away with one over on Rhea despite Indi losing the match. Will be interesting to see if they just have Rhea murder both later on or get some goons for herself.

Becky/Trish was another solid match. Trish was generally decent-solid, but she isn't where she was as a brawler back Era when Finlay was the Divas' agent. And Becky rarely hits that kind of level. Still pretty fun match overall. Was kind of interesting seeing the crowd not willing to boo either woman. Wasn't big on the finish. Probably needed to be wilder to really work. Beyond that this feud has been going on already for four months. I get that Trish wants a cage match, but if they wanted to go that route then they really should have built that before now and did it here instead of further dragging things out. Kind of wondering if this is one of the reasons though that they bumped the match from Summerslam. 

Cody/Finn was solid. The finish was amusing. The loss for Finn sucks, but the post match with JD and Judgement Day was a good way to move that story forward a bit and give Judgement Day some heat back. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

Two things:  

1) I fundamentally disagree that Becky/Trish was anything approaching 'good'.  That was two performers with two fundamentally different styles that just were never on the same page.  That corner spot they actually repeated was emblematic of a much bigger problem. They were trying, but it just did not work.  And you know what... Hunter was right to cut that from SummerSlam. 

2) That was the worst crowd in at least a year.  My measure on crowd heat is always "Let's Go!" on the Sami music and oooh boy, I knew we were in trouble almost immediately last night.  Just sitting on their hands all night and silent all night long.  

• Like 1

Last night's show was all right. Nothing special, but I did enjoy watching Otis vs. GUNTHER. I jumped in my seat for the powerbomb at the end. I want more of Otis in general. The guy is so untapped for them.

Becky vs. Trish was pretty meh. Becky has this style that is very hit or miss with people and last night was a giant miss. Maybe they'll be able to do something with a cage, but I too see why this match was left off Summerslam. 

I loved Nakamura's promo...especially when I saw the translated promo on twitter earlier. I can't stand this Seth Rollins so I'm hoping someone...anyone takes the title off him. Of course that person will be cashed in on if not Seth himself so it's all a moot point.

Ooooh as for what Shin said to him, I'm willing to guess he said "The kid isn't yours". It's been a while since they've done something stupid like that.

Cody/Finn was fine. Cody needs more friends if he's gonna keep getting beaten up.

Edited by Phantom Lord
  • Haha 1

Tony/Stacks vs. Dyad built into something solid though I was so-so on the finish. It worked well enough.

Blair/Dana was decent enough. Was built around Dana being a lot more aggressive than usual and even getting herself nearly dqed after being pissed about a move not putting Blair away. Was happy to see Blair get a definitive win. The story was a decent idea, but I thought the execution was a mixed bag due to Dana not always being able to keep that aggressive side believable. Still more entertaining than it could have been. It also seems to be setting up a proper heel turn for Dana with the pissed off looks she was giving Jordan post match. 

Trick/Gulak was entertaining. Trick still feels below opponents the level of Gulak and Ilja, but its also matches like these that will probably help him grow the most. 

The Corbin/Wagner segment was surprisingly solid, nearly good. I doubt their match next week will do much for me, but I hope I'm wrong.

Wes/Dijak had some stuff that annoyed me, but the overall match was good with the limb work coming into play ay nice moments. Was glad to see this work differently from their NA title match from a few months back.

Bate/Coffey was well until the non-finish with Dabba-Kato.

Thea/Jacy was pretty decent. The two work relatively well together. Finish was not bad. Continues to push the Thea mad at Chase story though I still am not sure where that one leads.

The final segment with Wes and Melo was good and leaves me wondering why the fuck this match is being done at a special instead of on a PLE. 

Solid episode in terms of storytelling and setup for future matches. In terms of quality matches it left something to be desired outside of Wes/Dijak. Needed more straight forward finishes to make the screwy ones stand out better. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Post your favorite Lacey Evans moments!    Mine was this (now deleted) Twitter thread:

lol I enjoyed the feud with Nattie where Lacey had trouble with the mounted police and Nattie got on Twitter and said the police officer was her cousin and that her aunt would then cause problems for Lacey in customs because the Harts run Canada. lol Enjoyable mainly for Nattie's twitter antics, which are pretty underrated. 

Other than that, her main roster stuff was pretty much a series of stops and starts. I remember thinking she showed potential in NXT.

On 8/16/2023 at 7:52 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Post your favorite Lacey Evans moments!    Mine was this (now deleted) Twitter thread:

I for one liked the insane GM Baron Corbin/Lacey pairing that wound up backfiring so bad it got Paige fired from GM too on a heavy Brand Split Smackdown.