DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/9 - 8/15/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Damn. I thought this was a really solid show. Not exceptional, but very solid.

Bucks/Hardys was way better than I thought it'd be. The BBC/Lucha Bros tag was the best Fenix and Penta have looked in a normal tag in quite a while, IMO.

I actually thought Anna Jay looked better than she ever has in her match. She was mostly hitting stuff clean and was in position really well. I think they botched the finish, but can't put that all on her. I'm guessing Parker was supposed to put her hand on the rope?

The JAS thing moved enough that it didn't overstay it's welcome.

My daughter is firmly team Roddy after MJF talked shit about Hello Kitty and Taylor Swift, two of her absolute favorite things.

Mogul Embassy (still don't like that name) might be the most visually-impressive factions going. Now that Cage is embracing the LOD look, they all look like uniquely-badass dudes.

It wasn't a home run, but I thought this episode delivered on pretty much everything while nothing actively stunk.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Log said:

It wasn't a home run, but I thought this episode delivered on pretty much everything while nothing actively stunk.

That's a great way of putting it - and for all the talk of a lack of build to All In, we were kinda due for one of these 'set-up' episodes.

The only thing I didn't dig was the whole conceit of MJF/Cole wrestling for the ROH titles on the pre-show (and not solely because @AxBis still gonna be on the damn train - but it certainly didn't help!)

I see what they're likely going for - the intrigue of which guy is gonna leave the other to get beat down by the Aussies and head into the main event weakened - but I'd enjoy it much better if things were timed out to where this match was happening on TV the week before, instead of on the pre-show. I guess maybe the idea is to milk as much as we can out of them as a team? Which is hard to argue with given how many friggin shirts they've moved, I guess - just felt a little narratively disjointed to me.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's a great way of putting it - and for all the talk of a lack of build to All In, we were kinda due for one of these 'set-up' episodes.

The only thing I didn't dig was the whole conceit of MJF/Cole wrestling for the ROH titles on the pre-show (and not solely because @AxBis still gonna be on the damn train - but it certainly didn't help!)

I see what they're likely going for - the intrigue of which guy is gonna leave the other to get beat down by the Aussies and head into the main event weakened - but I'd enjoy it much better if things were timed out to where this match was happening on TV the week before, instead of on the pre-show. I guess maybe the idea is to milk as much as we can out of them as a team? Which is hard to argue with given how many friggin shirts they've moved, I guess - just felt a little narratively disjointed to me.

I hate having it on the card too, but I think we are going to get Kingdom and Strong interfering in the ROH match to give Aussie Open a cheap win, after which you get MJF mad at Cole about his "friends" and Cole being further torn.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This is a lamer version of my favorited scenario which had Cole/MJF coming into All In with the belts and doing the singles at All Out. 

BUT there are still a lot of ways you can take it. Let's say they win then Cole eventually screws MJF so the Kingdom can get the belts (or vice versa). 

I think we're still a week or so away from understanding what's going to happen at All Out which will shape how we feel about a lot of things. 

As for the show, I'm halfway through what I'm going to watch and my big takeaway is that I think Jack Perry might just be something special as a heel but I need to see more to really know. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

As for the show, I'm halfway through what I'm going to watch and my big takeaway is that I think Jack Perry might just be something special as a heel but I need to see more to really know. 

Perry Lynn vs. Rob Van Dam in a Stretcher Match at Wembley?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EVA said:

He was totally out of control on the guardrail leg drop and just splattered Jack unnecessarily.

Yeah, he was limping afterward. There was some stank on that one. But, it is RVD, he has a bit of a rep for being unnecessarily stiff at times.

If you replace Anna with Shida in John E.'s women's match comment then you get how I feel about the whole deal. 

The Mox blood is baffling. It wasn't even from a spot where he juices, it was over back of the temple kinda above his ear, looked like? How'd that happen? Does he now suffer stigmata just from entering a wrestling ring? 

I'll be nice and offer up two more bits of praise: 1. The Mogul Embassy looks cool as fuck and are probably gonna be a great stable for awhile, 2. Daddy Magic offered up a nice, emotional promo in the JAS deal. Even brought up "Kevin Steen"! It was the only part I un-muted besides about ten seconds of Hager, who I wanted to see if he was gonna trip on his tongue and he wasn't so therefore not worth it. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, he was limping afterward. There was some stank on that one. But, it is RVD, he has a bit of a rep for being unnecessarily stiff at times.

If you replace Anna with Shida in John E.'s women's match comment then you get how I feel about the whole deal. 

The Mox blood is baffling. It wasn't even from a spot where he juices, it was over back of the temple kinda above his ear, looked like? How'd that happen? Does he now suffer stigmata just from entering a wrestling ring? 

I'll be nice and offer up two more bits of praise: 1. The Mogul Embassy looks cool as fuck and are probably gonna be a great stable for awhile, 2. Daddy Magic offered up a nice, emotional promo in the JAS deal. Even brought up "Kevin Steen"! It was the only part I un-muted besides about ten seconds of Hager, who I wanted to see if he was gonna trip on his tongue and he wasn't so therefore not worth it. 

I also have not seen any reason to think Shida is the ace of the division other than one match after Toni Storm debuted where she actually had some stiff shots.

Pretty sure Mox caught an elbow or knee on the second series of dive, it was definitely hardway because he wasn't gushing or selling it.

• Like 2

In that moment, I noticed that the AEW hardcam guardrail seemed much further away than the guardrails RVD usually does that spot on, and I wondered if we might be in for another Sting situation. But Rob just full force yolo’d it to get there.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, EVA said:

In that moment, I noticed that the AEW hardcam guardrail seemed much further away than the guardrails RVD usually does that spot on, and I wondered if we might be in for another Sting situation. But Rob just full force yolo’d it to get there.

I think RVD historically doesn't fuck with the guardrails because that's a lucha thing - I remember Rey and Psychosis in ECW started the "pull the guardrails right up to the ring apron so when you dive into the crowd it looks impressive, but you don't actually have to exert much effort" trend

Rob taking a "play the hand I'm given" approach with the ringside environment is much more commendable

Edited by Dolphman 3000

2 hours ago, Log said:

I actually thought Anna Jay looked better than she ever has in her match. She was mostly hitting stuff clean and was in position really well. I think they botched the finish, but can't put that all on her. I'm guessing Parker was supposed to put her hand on the rope?

I agree. I thought Anna Jay looked fine. There were some small things, like the issue with her top and the missed kick, but it was perfectly fine wrestling. Just wish there had been more "buzz" around it since it was the main. Reminded me of when they put Deonna Purrazzo Vs Mercedes Martinez as the main with very little fanfare. 

• Like 1

TRAMPOLINE!!! Kids getting hit with soft round objects! That one kid looked like he got the beating Nick Wayne got from Moguls!

Bucks got their win and accepted the challenge made by FTR. Hardyz had more in them than I expected. Good.

RVD also looked better than you would have expected judging by last week's appearence. Still, Jack Shit Perry still prevailed. No Sabu, yet.

The MJF-Cole saga is getting more layered by the minute. Ok, so Aussie Open will now play either the Twin Towers to these guys' Mega Powers or Hollies to Rock n' Sock Connection? People need to show up early to Wembley now!

BCC is on a roll right now, Jericho is screwed if he doesn't join Callis, Sting is back for the PPV with Darby. Will it be a tag match, trios match or will there be even more people involved?

The women's 4 way is already set, even though there is two more matches to go. Not the best Anna Jay performance in the main event there, but they were trying.

Kenny will talk next week. I think people should hurry up and challenge other people, or they are missing the biggest show! Still a lot of names out there and only so many spots open!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I think RVD historically doesn't fuck with the guardrails because that's a lucha thing - I remember Rey and Psychosis in ECW started the "pull the guardrails right up to the ring apron so when you dive into the crowd it looks impressive, but you don't actually have to exert much effort" trend

Rob taking a "play the hand I'm given" approach with the ringside environment is much more commendable

One thing I always look at with outsiders when they come into AEW is how they deal with the commercial break. RVD started high fiving people around the ringside area before he decided that maybe he'd go and engage with Perry again. It's kind of rare that a face is in control during the commercial break, but they followed up the spinning legdrop with the commercial and Perry got his transition to offense in halfway through.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

That's exactly how that spot went 90% of the time in RVD's prime too.

I dunno. It’s been a minute since I watched some old RVD, but I remember it looking a lot lighter, like RVD was taking the worst of it and his opponent was much more in control of their bump than what happened with Jack.

• Like 1

I’ll have my review later. Right now I’m scrambling to relocate my kids 3rd birthday party. It’s supposed to be at the bouncy park, but I don’t want him doing anything adam Cole does. He’ll turn out so lame he gets his preschool Christmas pageant bumped off it’s scheduled night…

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

TRAMPOLINE!!! Kids getting hit with soft round objects! That one kid looked like he got the beating Nick Wayne got from Moguls!

Now I'm imagining Max shooting one of the kids in the forehead, he falls down to pretend-blade and breaks a blood capsule to come back up with DA JUICE. Then a team of Karens come running from the coffee bar or wherever the parents go to hang out to force them both to sprint out of the building for their lives. 

Gotta wonder how thick the padding is between those trampolines, cause those metal bars underneath could fuck you up. I very well remember this from my childhood. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Gotta wonder how thick the padding is between those trampolines, cause those metal bars underneath could fuck you up. I very well remember this from my childhood. 

Preach - those frames were the original 'hardest part of the ring!'

42 minutes ago, just drew said:

I’ll have my review later. Right now I’m scrambling to relocate my kids 3rd birthday party. It’s supposed to be at the bouncy park, but I don’t want him doing anything adam Cole does. He’ll turn out so lame he gets his preschool Christmas pageant bumped off it’s scheduled night…

My man, you are nothing if not consistent! Despite our difference of opinion on Cole & friends, I absolutely gotta respect it.

--

I forgot to bring this up yesterday, but I'm really excited for Darby/Sting vs the Mogul Embassy. I was actually a little surprised it was a tag and not a trios of some kind - perhaps Sting is bringing his working boots for you Brits on what could be his last match there - we shall see. Obviously the stip lends itself well to his neo-Terry Funk routine, which always strikes a near-even balance of fear and hype in me.

• Like 2

Luchas v BCC was mostly strong, as expected, but... seems like such a shame seeing a belt shot, followed by a nice 3D variation, for a very quiet 2. I love Rey Fenix as much as the next guy, but nobody is buying him as a world beater. A weapon shot kickout really oughtta be saved for special occasions. And then they hit a goddamn spike piledriver on Fenix for 2!? FTR's been doing some 2s with the Spike Piledriver as well. Not a fan. And more inadequate production to finish it out. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Luchas v BCC was mostly strong, as expected, but... seems like such a shame seeing a belt shot, followed by a nice 3D variation, for a very quiet 2. I love Rey Fenix as much as the next guy, but nobody is buying him as a world beater. A weapon shot kickout really oughtta be saved for special occasions. And then they hit a goddamn spike piledriver on Fenix for 2!? FTR's been doing some 2s with the Spike Piledriver as well. Not a fan. And more inadequate production to finish it out. 

Even the announcers were struggling to explain those.

I missed a chunk of the JAS townhall. I need to see Garcia's exit. A bit overlong, but nice to see Daddy Magic get some mic time. His story kinda made him sound ungrateful tho. Didn't really get down with the segment, but still curious to see how this plays out. Bucks v Hardys was pretty solid. Seeing Jeff wince on every bump scares me a little. Ugh, more Chuck Lorre inspired comedy skits. Tho, glad everybody else is digging these. I missed the BCC promo, gonna run that back. I liked the Lucha Bros promo. I love a simple back and forth promos to set up a match. RVD v Jungle was a lot of fun. Van Dam obviously isn't 43 or 37 anymore, but he worked hard. The spinning leg lariat from the apron was fucking terrific. Speculation over whether it hit too hard is fair, but doesn't steal from my thrill. Good booking on the finish. I'm game for the rubber match. I'm also game for RVD getting a protege and forming a team where he can wait for a hot tag. Cole-MJF promo was fine. I find my skin crawling at moments, but I'm sickly fascinated by it all. Rude-y Roddy continues to murder the sadsack victim role! Nice seeing the grossly underrated Bennett/Taven team get a little cameo. A few complaints about bastardizing finishers and weapons shots aside, Luchas v BCC was fairly strong. The Swerve Squad promo segment wasn't without some nice moments. Always great to see Nana. The mic work in this was a bit weak, but I'm All In on what I expect to be a sensational Darb/Sting v Fox/Swerve tag bout. I love AR Fox going from working in front of 8 or 80 ppl to 80,000. Shida v Jay main eventing was a nice gesture, but where's the fucking build? Anna had an effective 'moment' of mic time in the JAS segment, but this one needed more. A video package or something to lift it out of the cold. I only caught the messy finish, but I'll be going back to see how Anna did. Yeah, this Dynamite was not a 'Great One', but it was solid and provided some fun entertainment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Luchas v BCC was mostly strong, as expected, but... seems like such a shame seeing a belt shot, followed by a nice 3D variation, for a very quiet 2.

In theory I’m with you, but at least that was the transition to full heel control on Fenix. It was a bit much but it was still impactful and meaningful within the story of the match. But I get frustrated when I see Jumbo/Yatsu use a spike piledriver for that exact same reason in old AJPW.