DVDVR Message Board

Best Wrestling Match Ever.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

The best pro wrestling match ever was Kevin Sullivan / Buzz Sawyer vs. Zam Panzer / Robbie Idol

• Jobbers suffer ginormously brutal Texas dog whoopin'? Check.
  • Jim Ross and Jim Cornette are en fuego at the commentary booth? Check.
  • Unexpected outcome of jobbers winning by DQ after a hellacious squash as the ref actually enforces the rules?  Check.
  • Kevin Sullivan delivers one of the most psychotic promos ever?  Check.

So much to love here. I never knew Sawyer, Sullivan and Foley had a faction. Slaughterhouse is a great name! I really wish they'd had a long run together.

Zan Panzer is from "the Continent of Europe". Ok.

I forgot about Crockett's short-lived partnership with Roos shoes.

Buzz's splash out-superflies Superfly's.

Love the DQ. Makes perfect sense and gets Sawyer/Sullivan over as psychos who don't care about winning or losing. They just want to hurt people. And, goddamn! Sullivan has to choke Buzz with a chain to get him off the jobber!

And then, the cherry on top: the post-match promo. Jesus. This is an all-time great pro wrestling segment.

I don't know how I've never seen this. Thanks, @J.T.!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

No, I meant the second of the censored lines from Sullivan after that squash

I don't remember that part.  Sullivan's Bah-stahn accent was so thick that I had no clue what he was talking about when he was rambling on about the she-wolf.

• Like 1

Naw not vs Sting and Luger. That’s actually my alltime favorite match for personal reasons but it doesn’t belong on any serious GOAT matches list. I figured it’d get mentioned as the thread went on like it always does though. It really is a heck of a match. It was as WCW as WCW could get. It was the Steiners vs Sting and Luger baby. It was the best tag team vs the best guys, WCW guys, not NWA guys. And they delivered, which was something they could do every time when it was up to them. There was 1 part that didn’t deliver which was the finish, which was the 1 part that wasn’t up to them SMH. That was a part of what made the match as WCW as it could get. It was the good and the bad.

I was referring to The Steiners vs Hase and Sasaki. The line Gorilla said I think went like this. When the security hit the ring, Pat Patterson was with them. Gorilla goes “Is that Pat Patterson? O he’s let himself go.” Then as the other announcer kept talking about the chaos Gorilla couldn’t quit talking about Pat and kept adding 1 liners about how Pat was fat, old etc. One of the underrated dead pan routines of all time tbh lol!

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 2

I have a strange take.  Invisible man vs invisible stan might be the greatest performance by a ref, along with a crowd that was fully invested in the shenanigans.   It's also something I would show in between more traditional great matches just to show how important a crowd that buys in helps elevate good to great or bad to 'fun'. 

• Like 1

I need to rewatch that Flair/Steamboat trilogy.  I remember loving the first one, thinking the 2/3 falls match was overlong and a little too cute, and then I was just burned out by the time I got to the third and ended up +10ing it.

I really want to rewatch Bret/Austin and Bret/Owen now.

Add SSB vs Future Shock vs Bucks ladder match from PWG Threemendous III to the list for me.  Just an insane spotfest if that's your thing.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, zendragon said:

What do people consider Savages best match? Cause he’s a name that hasn’t been mentioned. WMIII or one of the DDP ones?

Generally, his two mostly widely seen classics are WMIII and the Career Match with Warrior at WMVII. The DDP series is really solid, nothing exceptional but its a highlight of his later work which was very formulaic. Savage was in some classic 80's WWF blood feuds, but his best dance partner through the years was Flair. 

Gems:

Randy Savage vs. Ron Garvin - Cage Match

Randy Savage vs. Jerry Lawler - Loser Leaves Town

Adrian Adonis & Randy Savage vs. Bruno Sammartino & Tito Santana - Cage Match

Randy Savage vs. Tito Santana - No DQ Montreal

Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - No DQ Montreal

Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair - GAB 1995

Edit: also vs. Hogan in Philly 1985

Edited by peachchaos
  • Like 3

Vs The Rock n Roll Express when they use the table? I hate it but WM5 is up there. I’ve never sat down and watched WM3. 

Here’s a gem - vs Prince Iaukea from Nitro. That wasn’t much of a match but the heat that night was up there with Summerslam 93 I swear. So the announcement of the match and all the stipulations around it, the match, and the postmatch was a real trip. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 2

I responded after reading and catching up but I first came to add something about the Kevin and Buzz squash. That might be the best squash match of its kind but there probably should be a thread for them. I don’t mean a “fun squash” thread or a “dur hur I read something happened in this squash so now I like it even though it was boring before” thread. The Kevin and Buzz squash was a squash that got everybody watching’s full attention and they didn’t know how it was going to end even if they knew who the winner would be, which they were technically wrong about in this case. Sure people watched the other squashes but they almost booed and cheered on command. This one wasn’t like that.

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I need to rewatch that Flair/Steamboat trilogy.  I remember loving the first one, thinking the 2/3 falls match was overlong and a little too cute, and then I was just burned out by the time I got to the third and ended up +10ing it.

I started rewatching it also last night. Chi-Town was great until the stupid fuck finish. I tried rewatching Wrestlewar but parenting intervented, will try again later.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

What do people consider Savages best match? Cause he’s a name that hasn’t been mentioned. WMIII or one of the DDP ones?

I think it's Warrior at Mania, when you consider what he has to work with and the story told. 

I'd also put up the Bret match on SNME as a contender.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I really want to rewatch Bret/Austin and Bret/Owen now.

3. Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat. NWA WrestleWar 1989. *****.

2. Ricky Steamboat vs. Ric Flair. NWA Chi-Town Rumble 1989. *****.

1. Ricky Steamboat vs. Ric Flair. NWA Clash of the Champions VI: Ragin' Cajun 1989. *****.

The best by far is the Two out of Three Falls. The worst by far is the last.

17 hours ago, zendragon said:

Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat, WWF WrestleMania III is the best. Most impressive is what he got out of Ultimate Warrior at WWF WrestleMania VII, one of the best carry jobs ever.

14 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I started rewatching it also last night. Chi-Town was great until the stupid fuck finish. I tried rewatching Wrestlewar but parenting intervented, will try again later.

Be interesting to see how you rank them to me and Technico Support.

14 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I only watched this for the first time yesterday, but I'm struggling to see how it's not a contender. Such an intricate story told and I love the drama told with such simplicity.

So glad you have. Such a beloved match. It's the most mentioned match in this topic.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I thought I read somewhere that they both said their earlier matches were better actual wrestling matches minus the heat and entertainment that came with the 1989 matches. I also need to rewatch the matches. And I need to watch 1 the early matches for the first time ever! Does anybody remember a match where Ric Flair’s entrance was done live with a whole brass instruments band? One of these matches?

Edited by BloodyChamp

This is neither here nor there, but I was thinking about missed opportunities. Steamboat's last WWF match was October 20, 1991. Flair worked TV in September and started working house shows at the start of October. There was a window where they could have made Flair's first house show feud Steamboat instead of Piper.

• Like 4

On 8/4/2023 at 8:15 AM, Matt D said:

This is neither here nor there, but I was thinking about missed opportunities. Steamboat's last WWF match was October 20, 1991. Flair worked TV in September and started working house shows at the start of October. There was a window where they could have made Flair's first house show feud Steamboat instead of Piper.

Damn. Now I’m really sad that we never got to see what a Flair/Steamboat WWF match would look like. 

• Like 2