DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 6/28 - 7/4/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Thoughts from my first exposure to Collision.

I liked the short match promo bits to start before the opening theme. Just enough of Sir Elton, worked well.

Where the hell did THAT Ethan Page come from? Amazing promo, although out of the blue given the slow semi-face turn that’s been building. Very old school match, excellent leg work by MJF and selling by Page. Very enjoyable.

Kelly and Nigel feel a lot more like a WWE announce team being fed lines and hyper focusing on character details that they explain like they are talking to a kindergarten class. On the other hand, having lots of space to just hear the sounds of the action was nice. In general the show feels very different from Dynamite and Rampage and more of a WWE feel and that’s ok.

Hobbs-Dustin was a good BMMSM match with a lot of power moves in the final run. I wish the announcers had talked more about Dustin kicking out at 1 because of Hobbs’ arrogant cover, I think that was the story Dustin was trying to sell and how it fired him up. Way too much QT, they need to get Will away from him and soon.

Gunns make a lot of sense for BCG, and they have the same goofy obnoxious energy of Juice (and Austin has a similar voice). Jay’s mic work started strong and fell apart as it went on and on.

Starks-Juice had the issue with it being a rematch of a relatively recent match, so there wasn’t much we hadn’t just seen. I lost a lot of focus during PiP. Perfectly fine match, just felt like a foregone conclusion while also not being a fresh matchup. One thing I did like was Starks not being passive while Juice was working on the knee. Ricky kept reaching for Juice’s head, trying to get a grip or a strike, but also not doing the obvious hair pull or eye gouge because he is a face now. Announcers with more history of his character might have talked about that aspect. Enjoyed the run ins and saves without the entrance themes.

Miro with a competitive squash against Anthony Henry, who bumped like a freak. I like Miro, there isn’t really anyone else quite like him in AEW, but he also just seems like a guy much better suited for WWE.

Stat is still working off some rust. Interesting that they talked about Lady Frost having a grandfather who was in the business rather than the usual background they give on ROH. Not a bad match but I found it hard to be invested with the prolonged PiP and them skipping way ahead coming back from commercial. The plus with Stat is that she is more vulnerable, between the injuries and having actually lost before. The minus is that they’re still struggling to build the women’s division with more credible mid-card challengers, and also there is no benefit right now moving Athena from ROH unless she is going to win.

After building to Punk on commentary as “you never know what he’s going to say”, it ended up being just excellent color work, putting over both guys, his own history with each, and the influence they all had on the current wrestling style. Match itself was great, excellent pacing, Strong slowly getting in shots and trying to stay out of Joe’s reach building to Strong having worn Joe down to the point to hit some huge impact moves. The submission out of nowhere was well done. Aftermath seemed a bit unnecessary, didn’t really add anything extra to the excitement or potential of Joe-Punk IV.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Interesting that they talked about Lady Frost having a grandfather who was in the business rather than the usual background they give on ROH.

That seemed to catch Kelly off-guard. He set Nigel up by mentioning that she has a unique athletic background that translates well to wrestling and then Nigel starts talking about her grandfather.

• Like 2

Collision is such a wildly different show than Dynamite that you would think it was for a third national company. It's even more sports and wrestling focused that Dynamite originally was when it started. I love how each episode has started out with a little promo or vignette from someone or both parties talking shit about what would happen tonight. And then from then on, it's pretty much just action, action, action, action. Sure, there's some promo segments because you need those, but it has such a different feel than Dynamite. 

My one concern about Collision is that despite there being no hard brand split or anything, it does have this community theatre feeling where you have the main players and then other people who aren't normally there and audition and make it. That itself already feels a little awkward. For example, while BCGold is on both shows, the main program with them, Punk, Starks, and FTR is limited to just Collision for the most part. Hell, FTR seems to just be on Collision and so I'll watch Dynamite with the feeling of, "why is FTR not being used AGAIN" when they really are, it's just on another show. Starks himself feels stuck in this endless feud against BCGold. But anyway, my worry is that this is going to get old pretty fast.

Other than that, I do like how different the presentation is. And the matches have been pretty good too. So not a lot to complain about at the moment except for the shitty timeslot.

• Like 3

I was disappointed that Ethan Page was FROM Hamilton not that he was performing a piece from Hamilton , which is what I gathered from spoilers. As usual MJF delivers in the ring.

Hobbs v Dustin was cool but where was Keith Lee? Every time they start something with The Natural in ends instead of being an on going thing. The man is in the shape of his life and deserves to be used more consistently. 

Juice v Starks was perfectly acceptable wrestling but a match we just saw.

Miro v Henry was great. Miro wrestled strictly HOSS style and Henry was great from underneath. Push the workhorsemen, even if it’s in ROH 

Womens match kinda fell flat

Im not into Roddy Strong and this felt more like a vehicle to set up Joe v Punk than anything else 

• Like 2

Dustin Rhodes has said he’s in the final year of his career and doesn’t have many matches left.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

While it flies in the face of conventional wisdom,I'd like to see Dustin get a title run in AEW.  Not world, but something.

You know what? Fuck it. One day title run by winning it in his very last match. I mean its not like AEW is afraid of doing tournaments.

• Like 3

It's a shame Wardlow dropped the TNT title, considering he's managed by Arn, and Cody's history with Arn you could've done a solid little mini-program with Dustin/Wardlow over the TNT belt, give him a brief reign with it.  (I have no issue with the TNT title being a "hot potato" belt considering who has been challenging for it/holding it recently)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Is that good for bidness, if you wiiiil? 

I refuse to live in a world where a Rhodes can't win a title just for a cheap pop.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

You know what? Fuck it. One day title run by winning it in his very last match. I mean its not like AEW is afraid of doing tournaments.

Fuck it dude let him win it off MJF even if it’s just for one night. Dustin fulfilling his life long dream of finally winning a world title and is the one to defend AEW ( even if he drops it to someone else that same night)

Spoiler

spongebob-squidward.gif

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 1