DVDVR Message Board

Collision - 6/17/2023

52 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Tony announced the Collision theme will be "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" by Sir Elton John 

I had to Google this because I thought this was a joke.

holy shit lmao

• Haha 1

I love Elton John, so I see no problem with this. Give me something fun in wrestling, rather than more butt rock, nu metal, or whatever its rampage baby its rampage baby its rampage baby is supposed to be

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, elizium said:

Official request that Punk changes his theme from Cult of Personality to I'm Still Standing

That's a canny and couth answer. Another Elton John song comes to mind...

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I am going to have to work through this now, otherwise I am going to spend at least half of Collision thinking about it. 

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road was released two days before my 8th birthday. I got it as a present. It was the first LP I ever owned (and it was a double  LP) (The first recording I ever owned was an 8-track tape of Madman Across the Water). 

Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting was my (younger) brother's favourite song on the album. I, personally, preferred Bennie and the Jets and Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding.

I got the appeal of Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting but there were two lines that bothered me. 

The first was "A couple of the sounds that I really like/are the sound of a switchblade and a motorbike" 

I had just watched a documentary about 1950s teensploitation movies and there was a big focus on a scene with Brando on a motorbike brandishing a switchblade! 

(Insert image here later)

uClqxuV.jpg

I figured that Bernie Taupin had taken that image and made it into a lyric.

The second was "I'm a juvenile product of the working class/whose best friend floats in the bottom of a glass"

The second half of that line is GREAT. I remember talking with my fourth-grade friends Brian and Dave about what that meant. Dave, who had a motorcycle-riding  teenaged older brother explained. Pretty cool.

But the first half of that couplet! What actual delinquent would describe themself that way? 

The song was *obviously* not written by a teenager who went out looking for trouble on Saturday nights, but by an adult trying to appeal to that crowd (which in 1973, was significant) and to children like my brother who aspired to some day be teen delinquents. I felt like my brother was being taken in. 

i suppose I was a pretty precocious 8-year-old. My elder daughter was pretty precocious at 8, as well. So it tracks, I guess.

Currently, I am delighted that the song has a "switchblade" reference and Jay White is fighting on the debut episode.

Anyway, I had to get that out of my head now or it would have really distracted me tomorrow.

(Insert YouTube video here).

Edit: It also seems at least conceivable that Jericho's sparkly mauve high heeled shoes were inspired by the cover of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. If so: Awesome reference.

(Insert image here). (Turned out to be unnecessary because of the YouTube video image).

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

That's a canny and couth answer. Another Elton John song comes to mind...

Sorry Seems to be The Hardest Word?

Someone Saved My Life Tonight?

Don't Go Chopping My Face (with Kiki Dee)?

Phil-edelphia Freedom?

oh. right.

it actually really fits! 

"Raising Cain, I spit in your eye" and in particular, "Stone cold sober, as a matter of fact"!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Sorry Seems to be The Hardest Word?

Someone Saved My Life Tonight?

Don't Go Chopping My Face (with Kiki Dee)?

Phil-edelphia Freedom?

oh. right.

it actually really fits! 

"Raising Cain, I spit in your eye" and in particular, "Stone cold sober, as a matter of fact"!

How’d you leave Candle In The Wind off the list? Or better yet Can You Feel The Love Tonight (which I’m still bummed that he didn’t play it last year when I saw him on his farewell tour). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

This is so obvious but it’s also Elton as the theme for TV wrestling which rules. Love it. 

So they gonna change Punk’s music to “The Bitch is Back”?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Tony announced the Collision theme will be "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" by Sir Elton John 

21 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Collision opening

It's Saturday and you know what that means.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I love it. Reminds me of when WM22 used “Big Time”. That ruled too. 

I'd like to think that came about because the WM21 theme was "Big Time" by Soundtrack Of Our Lives, and enough people must have joked "hey this isn't the Peter Gabriel song!" that Vince begrudgingly caved the following year