DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/10/2023

Matt D

Really liked Jon Moxley/Kenny Omega. I'd say it was the best of the four singles matches. Kudos to Omega playing Mox's game with the barbed wire and glass. Steel Cage matches feel a big deal in AEW like they used to in WWF/E before Hell in a Cell and the Elimination Chamber stole it's spotlight.

Christian Cage is such a great heel. Great as a babyface as well.

Good seeing Miro and Thunder Rosa escape the Phantom Zone 😉.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Really liked Jon Moxley/Kenny Omega. I'd say it was the best of the four singles matches. Kudos to Omega playing Mox's game with the barbed wire and glass. Steel Cage matches feel a big deal in AEW like they used to in WWF/E before Hell in a Cell and the Elimination Chamber stole it's spotlight.

Christian Cage is such a great heel. Great as a babyface as well.

Good seeing Miro and Thunder Rosa escape the Phantom Zone 😉.

You are back! That is good! Was starting to worry a little bit!

• Thanks 1

Claudio v Fenix was magic in the opener. I haven't read thru the thread yet, but I'm curious to see if there's Hero speculation on Castignoli's partner for the upcoming tag title match (tho, Yuta would be the obvious choice). Goddamn Claudio and Fenix are on super kill mode these days. Miro! Dug the four pillars promos. This kind of package action is a big leap forward. FTR/Mark/Jarrett Crew segment was fun. Love the blinded piledriver on Briscoe. I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised how comfortably Mark has fit into all the talk stuff. He's on a top star ascent. Jericho/Roddy segment was good till the AEW creative-contract-obsession reared it's ugly head yet again. I guess contracts seems like true 'reality' to a creative head dealing with them 24/7. Somebody should stop Bruce-ing him on these stips not being hokey and played out. Renee is really bringing a live/breaking reports vibe. Nice to see Rosa. Tony doesn't really need to preview his announcement, and that set feels in contrast to his being inside a room in the building (thus far), but it's always kinda nice to see him pop up. In a Crockett comedy kinda way. OC v Garcia was as good as anything on this excellent Orange title run. I always dig Danny, but this match was my favorite of his in recent memory. Christian just fucking murders his segment. As per usual. Flying a lot too close to home on the Arn stuff - I wonder what happened there? The heat was fantastic! Kudos Detroit! Anna v Julia was a lot stronger than expected. Anna's been a gamer in particularly highlighted situations since her debut. Best Friends promo was fun. I really like the backstage to the entrance way promo set-up. Again, feels 'Live'. House of Black v Best Friends was fun. Obviously marred by the lighting choice. HOB's rules are complete nonsense. DQ is enforced!?! Okay! I sense Tommy End would be best barred from the creative room. Apologies, if he's not reponsible for this, the lighting, the bad promos, etc. He's still a very fun wrestler tho. Great to see Kyle Fletcher, but, uh, a bit awkward. Still, Fletcher v OC sounds like another barnburner. Ricky Starks-Jay White video package was a bit slapdash with the cutting. They had some words out of order there, but still, this kind of building promo is so welcomed. Kenny v Mox was just wonderful television. I loved this match. That V trigger was the highlight. Loved Danielson's (I assume legit) concern there. I too was worried about the health of these incredible performers. The Don Callis turn works, but let's see how this plays out. It was well done, but if I'm honest I had a momentary and uneasy Russo flashback. That feels unfair to even mention, and I assume this put Takeshita in a better position, and likely leads to a Golden Lovers reunion, so a bewildered thumbs up. A more certain thumbs up for this fucking awesome show. 

• Like 5

Meltzer:

Claudio Castagnoli vs. Rey Fenix: ****1/2.

Orange Cassidy vs. Daniel Garcia: ****.

Jon Moxley vs. Kenny Omega: ****3/4.

Natural:

Claudio Castagnoli vs. Rey Fenix: ****1/2.

Orange Cassidy vs. Daniel Garcia: ****1/4.

Jon Moxley vs. Kenny Omega: ****1/2.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

I'm giving Anna JAS/ Julia Hart ****1/4 stars. For reasons that are completely wrestling related. I will not be taking questions at this time. Thank you.

• Haha 7

I wonder what kept Dave from giving Kenny/Mox 5 stars. My guess is the ending, but Callis timed it perfectly. 

I’m not a huge Mox guy, but it’s easy to say Kenny is definitely his best one on one opponent in AEW. I love Hangman, but Kenny’s matches with Mox seem to be better constructed. 

• Like 3

I think you could make an argument that his best feuds have been against Kenny, but I think his best matches have been against Darby.

Still think at some point Darby needs to slay the beast and beat Moxley. 

• Like 5

I think Jon Moxley's best singles match was with Bryan Danielson at AEW Revolution 2022. Opponent though, I'd say Kenny Omega and Hangman Adam Page. I really don't remember the Jon Moxley/Darby Allin matches.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I think Jon Moxley's best singles match was with Bryan Danielson at AEW Revolution 2022. Opponent though, I'd say Kenny Omega and Hangman Adam Page. I really don't remember the Jon Moxley/Darby Allin matches.

I like Danielson a lot more than Mox, but I couldn’t stand that match. It felt like it was long for the sake of being long. The only part I really enjoyed was the ending with Regal. Then again maybe I should rewatch the show as I didn’t care for Punk-MJF either. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I like Danielson a lot more than Mox, but I couldn’t stand that match. It felt like it was long for the sake of being long. The only part I really enjoyed was the ending with Regal. Then again maybe I should rewatch the show as I didn’t care for Punk-MJF either. 

I'm a huge Bryan Danielson fan but it took multiple viewings of the AEW Revolution 2022 match to click with me. Really didn't like the AEW Dynamite Grand Slam II match. One of Bryan's worst. Loved Punk/MJF though the AEW Dynamite match in Chicago a month prior was better. Gave both *****.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

One of my favorite things about Mox is his mastery of chaos. Anarchy in the Arena is my favorite match of his in AEW, because that's the kind of shit I wanted them to do on tv when I was a kid. Two teams of people just beating each other's ass. I dug that Blood & Guts match, too. He seems to thrive in the unorthodox, and that's what I like. I don't give a shit about how crisply someone does moves. Mox makes me believe he wants to murder a motherfucker for having the gall to step into the ring with him. The Hangman Page stuff has been really good, too.

Edited by just drew
Wrong Anarchy
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, just drew said:

One of my favorite things about Mox is his mastery of chaos. Anarchy in the Arena is my favorite match of his in AEW, because that's the kind of shit I wanted them to do on tv when I was a kid. Two teams of people just beating each other's ass. I dug that Blood & Guts match, too. He seems to thrive in the unorthodox, and that's what I like. I don't give a shit about how crisply someone does moves. Mox makes me believe he wants to murder a motherfucker for having the gall to step into the ring with him. The Hangman Page stuff has been really good, too.

Yeah, what I love about BCC and his angles with Kenny and Hangman are that he's trying to show that all these people have a nasty, violent person inside of them and he wants to unleash that. For someone like Yuta, it was to realize his potential. For Page and Kenny, it's almost personal in that sense that Mox is seen as this violent brute and he wants to show the world these squeaky babyfaces have a dark side too. 

• Like 2

I caught the end show angle.

So the idea is that Callis (who had gotten absolutely busted open by Mox) first stopped Mox from using the weapon, which is how Omega was positioned to beat him in the first place. He took advantage of the distraction. Then after the OWA, he nailed Omega himself. That popped Danielson absolutely huge. Then he wouldn't finish the job but gave him the kiss of death instead as Danielson had moved on to bragging about Mox.

And people are thinking maybe this leads to Callis with United Empire? But then, why would he have worked so hard to recruit Takeshita if he was just going to dump him with the Elite and do this?

These are questions that I only vaguely want the answers to.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Hard disagree. I love House of Black but I couldn't get into it. I'm not sure how this is such a hard concept for wrestling companies to understand but mood lighting for a character always sucks. Original Kane red light. Sin Cara orange light. The Fiend super red light. House of black dimmed lights with spooky flickering on all the screens. It's all bad. Sometimes standing out is a bad thing. As in this automatically gives fans a thought of why does this look weird and takes them out of following the narrative. I hope this aspect quietly disappears.

Phenomenal show tho. Loved pretty much all of it. And I'm very glad Kenny didn't tear up his knee with that cage spot. That looked sooooo bad.

41 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

BOX-LIKE OBJECT~!

The red crate of doom.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'm a huge Bryan Danielson fan but it took multiple viewings of the AEW Revolution 2022 match to click with me. Really didn't like the AEW Dynamite Grand Slam II match. One of Bryan's worst. Loved Punk/MJF though the AEW Dynamite match in Chicago a month prior was better. Gave both *****.

Yeah I’m with you on the Grand Slam match. I’ve seen that one twice now, and it definitely wasn’t a hit either time. I do have Revolution on BR Live so I might fire it up over the weekend. And just to be fair while I like both Adams the main event wasn’t anything special in my opinion either (just so I don’t get accused by others of favoring Adam Cole Bay Bay).

• Like 1

I'd have to say that while I love Omega/Mox, Hangman v Mox is definitely my favorite pairing.

All of the heel machinations of the BCC have come about after Hangman made Mox tap out with the chain (that match is still my match of the year, personally).  Well not come about but have been truly amplified it seems.

• Like 3

On 5/11/2023 at 5:13 PM, AverageKong said:

That actually isn't a bad idea. They did so with a few episodes of Dark/Elevation. NxT has done it a few times as well as Impact. 

Even as a women's wrestling fan, I don't think AEW could pull that off regularly, but at least once a month, using Rampage to feature the female roster, develop their characters, and further storylines could work. 

Seems like a good idea to me. The women's roster gets more facetime and experience and I don't see why the ratings would suffer. If anything they might improve as they have a lot of beautiful women on the roster and I can imagine that would draw in a few extra eyeballs. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LF2 said:

Yeah I’m with you on the Grand Slam match. I’ve seen that one twice now, and it definitely wasn’t a hit either time. I do have Revolution on BR Live so I might fire it up over the weekend. And just to be fair while I like both Adams the main event wasn’t anything special in my opinion either (just so I don’t get accused by others of favoring Adam Cole Bay Bay).

Cool we agree on the Jon Moxley/Bryan Danielson Grand Slam match. Adam Cole does nothing for me but I'm genuinely glad he does to others. Did you like Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho from AEW Revolution 2022? I thought AEW Revolution 2022 had three great matches in CM Punk vs. MJF (*****), Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson and Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho. It took place 6th March in the USA, my birthday but the 7th UK time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Cool we agree on the Jon Moxley/Bryan Danielson Grand Slam match. Adam Cole does nothing for me but I'm genuinely glad he does to others. Did you like Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho from AEW Revolution 2022? I thought AEW Revolution 2022 had three great matches in CM Punk vs. MJF (*****), Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson and Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho. It took place 6th March in the USA, my birthday but the 7th UK time.

There are very few singles matches in the modern era that have exceeded my expectations MORE than that Jericho v Kingston match! There were even better matches on that card, but it is the one I have rewatched the most!

Edited by Shartnado
added more, literally.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

There are very few singles matches in the modern era that have exceeded my expectations MORE than that Jericho v Kingston match! There were even better matches on that card, but it is the one I have rewatched the most!

Eddie Kingston vs. Chris Jericho is a great match. Probably the best opening match in AEW PPV history. That or MJF/Darby Allin at AEW All Out 2021.

• Like 2

Really solid two hours of wrestling. A few great pro-graps~ matches with OC/Garcia, Claudio/Fenix, and House of Black/Best Amigos. 

I did like the atmosphere for House of Black, it wasn't overdone like how with Fiend matches it actively took away from the match. Here, it just felt like an eeriness like their opponents have to live in their world. Julia/Anna was really strong. I get the criticism that most big AEW women's matches have some kind of violence stip but considering how young most of them are it's not a bad way to get them on TV while they grow as performers. The plunder is a fun smoke and mirrors and Anna's building a good resume of these kinds of matches. 

Loved the promo packages for each of the pillars too, each one really got their personalities over and how they felt about each other and their own paths. Sammy really has this unlikable shit bag air to him but you remember how talented he is and how many moments he's been a part of since the company started. 

Liking too how there's still a few different ways Elite/BCC can go down, guessing Hangman will round out the Elite squad but could we get Takeshita on either side giving us a surprise entrant?

DoN's really shaping up right now!

Edited by Nineteen
  • Like 3