DVDVR Message Board

Backlash X8 - 5/6/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Growing up in South Florida meant taking Caribbean cruises was a relatively inexpensive way to vacation.  So, if you're ever in San Juan on a cruise, there's a fantastic restaurant called El Jibarito. It's about a 10-15 minute walk from the dock.  I'd recommend the Bacalaitos or Alcapurrias as your app, Masitas de Puerco OR the chillo entero.  Get it with one of the local beers.  Believe me, it's one of the best meals you'll have in the islands. 

Oh right, wrestling...

THE CARD!

FOR THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Rhea Ripley (c) vs. Zelina Vega

FOR THE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Bianca Bel Air (c) vs. Iyo Sky

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Austin Theory (c) vs. Bronson Reed vs. Bobby Lashley

SAN JUAN STREET FIGHT - Damien Priest vs. Bad Bunny 

Cody Rhodes vs. Brock Lesnar

The Bloodline (Je. Uso / Ji. Uso / Sikoa) vs. Kevin Owens / Sami Zayn / Matt Riddle

Seth F. Rollins vs. Omos

I'm hoping they don't load it up with two 6-man tags. If I had the pencil, I'd add Rhea and Raquel to that match and make it 4-on-4. There's money in a Rhea/Raquel feud with them being the two powerhouses of the division, but SmackDown also has a somewhat limited roster of viable challengers right now (considering Rousey and Shayna are doing their own thing), so I'd like to see the WWE stretch things out and let them build to their first 1-on-1 match.

So last night they added the following:

Rhea Ripley vs Zelina Vega Smackdown Women’s Title

Austin Theory vs Lashley vs Bronson Reed United States Title

Seth F Rollins vs Omos

Why they’d book Seth against a guy he can hit literally none of his signature offense (minus the Stomp) on is beyond me, but okay. 

1 hour ago, Steventon said:

Odds on Cody vs Brock being better than any of the Cody vs Seth or Roman matches? 

Lot depends on Brock Lesnar's motivation and the Suplex City shit. Thought all three Cody Rhodes/Seth Rollins matches were great giving the HIAC ***** and really liked Cody/Roman. Think it has a better chance topping the later but not the former. Again, it's whether Brock gives a shit.

On 4/22/2023 at 7:05 AM, Steventon said:

Odds on Cody vs Brock being better than any of the Cody vs Seth or Roman matches? 

I'd say slim-to-none and I'm not even a big fan of Rollins.

The Wrestlemania and the Backlash matches from last year weren't my bag, but I'm willing to admit that the crowds ate them up and I'm just not a fan of the type of action and story they told - especially at Mania. When I take a step back and try to be objective, I can absolutely appreciate the workrate, execution, effort, and histrionics of those matches as well as the fact that, while he'll never be one of my favorites, Seth Rollins is a very talented, hard-working, world-class performer. 

The Hell in a Cell match was terrific and one of the few "must watch" WWE matches of the year.

Aside from the dogshit finish, Rhodes vs. Reigns was a stupendous match that pushed every button in terms of main event WWE-style. 

Yes, when motivated, Lesnar is capable of great, great matches...but it has been a very long time that he's accomplished that without bells-and-whistles (last year's SummerSlam and some of the fun multi-mans he's been in). I'm less curious about how this match ranks up to other Cody matches than I am other Lesnar matches - meaning, will this be as good as Lesnar's matches against Danielson? Against AJ? Against Joe and Finn? I liked all those matches for different reasons. Or will it be like some of the less exciting matches against Reigns? The forgettable matches with Rollins? The matches with Lashley that weren't all that great? 

I'm guessing it's Seth/Cody for the Raw strap at the next PPV so I don't think he's losing here.  

Though the loss would work to make Omos the first challenger for Seth.  

• Like 1

If we are going to spend all this time telling us that Cody Rhodes hasn't faced any adversity and needs to struggle more (which is a BS argument) then Brock should win and just destroy him.  Then you got a month or two of him trying to deal with Brock

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

If we are going to spend all this time telling us that Cody Rhodes hasn't faced any adversity and needs to struggle more (which is a BS argument) then Brock should win and just destroy him.  Then you got a month or two of him trying to deal with Brock

It’s not a bullshit argument. Prior to facing Roman he had no pinfall wins at any champions from the past 4 years or so. His “Road to Wrestlemania” featured bouts against a bunch of low carders like La Knight or green rookies like Solo. He was number 30 at the Rumble. He had - quite literally - the easiest lay up to get to WM, and had no prior world title main event experience. Quite literally the epitome of needing more experience & adversity at that level against a talent who is narratively pitched as being as good as any to ever glove up.

I thought the PPV over-delivered. On paper it felt kinda thrown together but I really enjoyed IYO/Belair, Bad Bunny/Priest, and the six man tag. Nothing was bad, although I thought they'd give Zelina a little more just due to where the match was. And I'm a big fan of blood. So overall worth the time to watch.

• Like 5

EXCELLENT Show.  Man, the Puerto Rican crowd was on FIRE all night long.   The Bad Bunny vs. Damian Priest match with all the guest appearances was some fantastic stuff and probably should have ended the show.  CARLITO!! 

Iyo vs. Bianca was a fantastic match as well.  Finally, Iyo was able to go out and have a star performance.  She's so awesome. 

Felt really awesome for Zelina to have her moment with the crowd. 

Cody vs. Brock was ok I guess.  The blood added a little something to it.  I'm not mad at the finish I suppose, it reminded me of Cena escaping Umaga the first time.

Edit: Had the wrong year there. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 2

I said it before elsewhere,  either Damian Priest legit hurt himself or his selling of the leg was some of the best work in years.   Hell he worked the last 5 to 10 minutes on one leg hopping around some times. 

• Like 1