DVDVR Message Board

April 2023 Wrestling Discussion

I've seen a few people of the opinion that that finish of Cody not going over last night was Cody's idea because that's a Dusty Rhodes playbook storytelling.

I understand that viewpoint but it would be a real challenge for Cody to keep the audience just as hot for him to win as they would've been if he'd won this weekend.

Edited by Ziggy

9 hours ago, nate said:

I could watch Snoop Dogg run the ropes all day.

I was hoping that he would go for a frog (dogg) splash like he did on Dynamite a few years ago. 

Anytime Snoop appears on a wrestling show, I'm always thinking about WCW missed out on getting him to show up on Nitro in 1999 when they were doing the No Limit Soldiers angle. 

Edited by evidence
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

She seems really well-liked but I find her style way too corny and artificially screamy, idgi

I think her pronunciation on the names of the Imperium members is the biggest thing I dislike. But as you said she can sound corny and forced too. Like she’s trying to overdramatize it. Especially when her fiancé enters. I think he’s a great performer, but she intros him like he’s a top four guy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I think her pronunciation on the names of the Imperium members is the biggest thing I dislike. But as you said she can sound corny and forced too. Like she’s trying to overdramatize it. Especially when her fiancé enters. I think he’s a great performer, but she intros him like he’s a top four guy.

If my fiance was my ring announcer, she better intro me like I'm the #1 guy.  We a team, we do our best work together baby.

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, supremebve said:

my fiance was my ring announcer, she better intro me like I'm the #1 guy.  We a team, we do our best work together baby.

My stance on relationships is, if your partner doesn't intro you like Joel Gertner announcing the Dudleyz, it's not meant to be

• Like 8

WWF WrestleMania IX is 30 today. With the exception of Undertaker's entrance and the staging, I hate this show for what happens to Bret Hart and Yokozuna by Hulk fucking Hogan/Vince McMahon. Fuck Hogan and Vince.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

WWF WrestleMania IX is 30 today. With the exception of Undertaker's entrance and the staging, I hate this show for what happens to Bret Hart and Yokozuna by Hulk fucking Hogan/Vince McMahon. Fuck Hogan and Vince.

I think this is the only Mania of the first 20 or so that I've never had the desire to watch. Even as a kid,  I looked at the card and thought,  nope of rather watch the tournament at Wrestlemania IV again, even though I already knew that show sucked. XI is another show I haven't watched,  but I did want to see LT wrestle, but not enough to pick it from the selections at the video store 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

I think this is the only Mania of the first 20 or so that I've never had the desire to watch. Even as a kid,  I looked at the card and thought,  nope of rather watch the tournament at Wrestlemania IV again, even though I already knew that show sucked. XI is another show I haven't watched,  but I did want to see LT wrestle, but not enough to pick it from the selections at the video store 

Don't blame you skipping it. WrestleMania XI is terrible also so you've not missed anything. WrestleMania IX is not only the WrestleMania I hate the most, it's one of my most hated shows ever. The treatment of Bret Hart/Yokozuna by Hulk fucking Hogan/Vince McMahon with the "that doesn't work for me, brother" infuriates me and I'm beating a dead horse, well aware ;).

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

think this is the only Mania of the first 20 or so that I've never had the desire to watch. Even as a kid,  I looked at the card and thought,  nope of rather watch the tournament at Wrestlemania IV again, even though I already knew that show sucked. XI is another show I haven't watched,  but I did want to see LT wrestle, but not enough to pick it from the selections at the video store 

Same blind spots as you guys on those WMs (and like you Natural, I avoid IX for Hogan being the Mr. MITB prototype model, with a dash of 'Bret Screwed Bret' somehow sneaking its way into the fucking recipe for the first time).

The only match from IX I've seen repeatedly, sadly, is Taker/Gonzalez because it was on one of those WM Streak complications. It's really bad, but the way folks talk, I was expecting something like the TNA match with the woman who was a Survivor contestant. It's ... functional, I guess.

From XI, I've only ever seen Bam Bam/LT (house full of Giants fans) and Diesel/HBK (which I didn't get around to until 2014 or so, prompted by watching a Nash shoot where he talks about Shawn intentionally trying to blow him up)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Michaels/Tatanka is solid!

Also, heel Doink getting one over on Crush never gets tired for me.

But yeah, this show was a steaming dump. Other than the main event, Perfect/Luger being a black hole of suck was particularly disappointing to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Same blind spots as you guys on those WMs (and like you Natural, I avoid IX for Hogan being the Mr. MITB prototype model, with a dash of 'Bret Screwed Bret' somehow sneaking its way into the fucking recipe for the first time).

The only match from IX I've seen repeatedly, sadly, is Taker/Gonzalez because it was on one of those WM Streak complications. It's really bad, but the way folks talk, I was expecting something like the TNA match with the woman who was a Survivor contestant. It's ... functional, I guess.

From XI, I've only ever seen Bam Bam/LT (house full of Giants fans) and Diesel/HBK (which I didn't get around to until 2014 or so, prompted by watching a Nash shoot where he talks about Shawn intentionally trying to blow him up)

1 minute ago, SirSmUgly said:

Michaels/Tatanka is solid!

Also, heel Doink getting one over on Crush never gets tired for me.

But yeah, this show was a steaming dump. Other than the main event, Perfect/Luger being a black hole of suck was particularly disappointing to me. 

I agree with you both.

Edited by The Natural

Oh, and they couldn't find anything better to do for Razor than to have him squash face Bob Backlund? What the hell?

OK, time for a re-booking:

• Bret Hart vs. Randy Savage [WWF World Championship Match] (Savage can eliminate Yokozuna at the Rumble with help from a returning Hogan, which seems appropriate for Savage's whole career anyway)
  • Hulk Hogan vs. Yokozuna
  • Razor Ramon vs. Mr. Perfect
  • Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Tatanka 
  • Lex Luger vs. Tito Santana
  • Steiner Brothers vs. Headshrinkers (I honestly forgot this match existed, WTF? No need to change it.)
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Marty Jannetty [WWF Intercontinental Championship Match] (move the timeline for Jannetty winning the IC title and then dropping it back from late spring/summer up to February RAW and then a March rematch where Michaels wins it back; I think Jannetty was still on the roster, yeah?)

I don't think I can really change these:

• Undertaker vs. Giant Gonzalez (unless you can get Sid back into the company before he signs with WCW, but if he left because he didn't want to job in the first place...)
  • Doink vs. Crush

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

Oh, and they couldn't find anything better to do for Razor than to have him squash face Bob Backlund? What the hell?

OK, time for a re-booking:

• Bret Hart vs. Randy Savage [WWF World Championship Match] (Savage can eliminate Yokozuna at the Rumble with help from a returning Hogan, which seems appropriate for Savage's whole career anyway)
  • Hulk Hogan vs. Yokozuna
  • Razor Ramon vs. Mr. Perfect
  • Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Tatanka 
  • Lex Luger vs. Tito Santana
  • Steiner Brothers vs. Headshrinkers (I honestly forgot this match existed, WTF? No need to change it.)
  • Shawn Michaels vs. Marty Jannetty [WWF Intercontinental Championship Match] (move the timeline for Jannetty winning the IC title and then dropping it back from late spring/summer up to February RAW and then a March rematch where Michaels wins it back; I think Jannetty was still on the roster, yeah?)

I don't think I can really change these:

• Undertaker vs. Giant Gonzalez (unless you can get Sid back into the company before he signs with WCW, but if he left because he didn't want to job in the first place...)
  • Doink vs. Crush

If 100% would have picked that up from Front Row Video. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

I'm about 95% sure that was Backlund's first pinfall loss in WWF period...

• Like 1

It's one thing seeing Sasha Banks mark out for Aja Kong. It's another thing seeing Naomi mark out for her and tweeting her to back fist her. It seems Naomi hinted that she isn't done with the inring side of her career too and she was backstage at the Ring of Honor PPV. Athena also mentioned in the scrum how close they are so maybe she could sign with AEW/ROH. 

To me it should be more of a bigger deal that the wife of one of the biggest acts in wrestling chose not to resign with them.  I've been saying long before she left that she should've been in the Bloodline. It would’ve added even more unique dynamic to the group and would have gave her the a much needed switch up from fun dancing offense. 

I know Rob Naylor was putting alot of the women on to Joshi and just international wrestling in general when he was in FCW/NXT so it shouldn't be surprising that she's familiar with people like Kong. It was surreal seeing Kong Retweet Mercedes and Naomi about hoping to get to wrestle them.

As much as I'd still like to see Naomi in the Bloodline. It's cool to see her continue to pursue pro wrestling outside of WWE, especially for someone who came from outside of wrestling and definitely has talents to do things outside of wrestling and to do other forms of entertainment. Much like Bianca Belair now she has her own love of Wrestling that alot of people from the outside that didn't grow up on it never have.

40 minutes ago, Raziel said:

I'm about 95% sure that was Backlund's first pinfall loss in WWF period...

weebey.gif

That's wild, but when I think about it, that's probably true. 

1 hour ago, SirSmUgly said:

I think Jannetty was still on the roster, yeah?

This being 1990s Jannetty, he managed to get fired after the Rumble and brought back by May 93. Some say Marty was drunk or under the influence at Rumble 93, some say that Michaels was scapegoating Marty and that Marty was brought back because people thought Shawn was lying

Then Marty was fired again the next year due to the whole Charles Austin trial

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

This being 1990s Jannetty, he managed to get fired after the Rumble and brought back by May 93. Some say Marty was drunk or under the influence at Rumble 93, some say that Michaels was scapegoating Marty and that Marty was brought back because people thought Shawn was lying

Then Marty was fired again the next year due to the whole Charles Austin trial

Yeah, I fantasy booked it well knowing that Jannetty might not have been in the company at the time.

But the alternative is booking HBK against Hacksaw or someone like that, so I'll just also fantasy re-hire Jannetty in time to do the title switches for this show. 

TODAY IN YOUNG WRESTLING FAN THEATRE

I was in the toy section and there was a young boy about 9 years old going ape shit for every wrestling toy he saw. Here is some dialogue that I thought people here might find entertaining. This really happened an hour ago.

Boy: I need Omos!

Mom: Who is Omos?

Boy: I need it. Let's look for more.... CODY RHODES

Mom: That's not Cody Rhodes.

Boy: YES IT IS. IT IS CODY RHODES HE'S MY FAVORITE WRESTLER IN THE WOOOORLD

Mom: But what is this?

They are holding a Cody Rhodes AEW figure. The one where he's in the suit and jacket.

Mom: Why is he in an AEW box?

Boy: IT'S NXT.

Mom: It is?

Boy: I need it and a Randy Orton, I have to have it.

At this point I'm like... there's a Cody Rhodes AEW figure? what else they got?... So I slide in and start seeing what all AEW figs they have....

Boy(to me): THEY'RE ALL NXT!

Fin.

Post Credits Deleted Scene:

Jae turns to child after being told all these figures are NXT

Jae: You dumb bastard these figures aren't NXT. They're AEW.

Boy: AEW is NXT Stoopid head.

Jae: Ya know what! There is no Easter Bunny! Over there, that's just a guy in a suit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 13