DVDVR Message Board

Does AEW need a new top babyface?

DEAN

On 2/9/2023 at 11:48 AM, John from Cincinnati said:

It's a shame we need to have this awkward conversation, because the hot babyface that could be driving business against MJF is headlining WrestleMania this year. They did one match with Cody and MJF surely intending to get back around to it later. MJF is guy who cost Cody the match where he put up that stipulation. Now would be the time to manufacture an issue where people beg babyface Cody to break his word and do what is necessary. Oh well, it'll make a great main event for WrestleMania 40. 

Honestly after all the Codyverse weirdness I feel like Cody needed the Reboot of going back to WWE he wasn't operating at this level in AEW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn8R33uHcFs

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 4:32 AM, The Green Meanie said:

Darkhorses:
MJF (they were on the cusp of it happening)

Alright, I'm just gonna say the big dumb thing.

The Danielson program is a time-killer. Punk is coming back and he's going to come back as the biggest heel the industry has seen since possibly Hogan in 96 or Vince in 99 or something. They're gonna use this to turn MJF into a mega babyface because A) he has the requisite charisma to do it B) really has nowhere else to go as a heel.

I'm not guaranteeing this is going to happen, I am saying this is pro-wrestling and this is feasible.

• Like 3

I'd love to see John Dynamite's reality play out. Watching the Elite promo on Wednesday, I struggled to imagine Punk working with those clowns. Give me some of that good Punk-MJF stuff. 

Re: Cody's weirdness in AEW, that's fair. But seeing how well received he is as a babyface in WWE now, I sometimes wonder if AEW doesn't have it in them to build a top babyface like this and support them in a serious way. Their biggest attempt thus far has been Hangman Page, but that's been so wishy-washy and dripping with anxiety that it's almost undermined him as having had a serious top guy push. That's before we take into account that he was clearly a tier below Punk during that whole run (as he should have been). And everything is so here's a segment and move on that it often feels like there's no serious push behind most things on the show. They don't need to replay things to the degree they do on the other channel, but I have no doubt AEW could have the current version of Cody Rhodes right now if they'd done more to commit to him and his character. For as much as Cody is being rewritten as a bad fit for AEW, AEW might have failed to capitalize and collaborate and shape him into that top spot. 

• Like 2

It seems like Cody just needs an editor. In AEW, I’d have to imagine he had near free reign to do whatever he wanted. In WWE, if he’s coming up with anything, I’m sure it has to clear a few people before it gets on tv. Some people have a lot of ideas and need others to whittle them down to the best ones. 

• Like 5

I wanna see where things go with Mark Briscoe. He's maybe more of a long shot at being a top babyface, but he has so much to offer, and he has something like those goodwill Foley vibes with him right now. 

I’ve been with the Kingston fandom since his debut, but less with the World Championship clamouring. I just didn't see it or think he needed it. Not until more recently. I’m not sure the exact point that things changed for me, maybe seeing him live and how the audience completely connects to him, I’m not sure. I think the story of Kingston dethroning MJF could be very special. And I think it might actually happen. Akiyama says he'll be World Champion, and that's good enough for me.

Really tho, AEW has a lot of potential top babyfaces (many already mentioned in the thread eg. Darby, Hangman etc.). The difference between AEW and WWE is much clearer as it relates to Cody’s appeal in either company. Sure he could have used a better editor in AEW, but the real difference is more obvious - simply put the massive WWE brand/branding machine. Moxley, Danielson etc. jumping back to WWE and given the Cody push would easily be on par with where Cody’s appeal level is right now. If not higher. And I say that as a Cody fan (tho, he's cornier in Titan with the verbiage than he was in AEDub). On top of the branding, WWE is clearly more of a broadly appealing product - something ppl should really consider more when they compare ratings, market share, etc. Further, I’'m very grateful AEW doesn’t look to what WWE is doing to grow their company. I’m thankful there isn’t a sudden emphasis on long winded promos and hackneyed high drama. Sure, there’s some, but it doesn’t dominate the shows. The Bloodline, in particular, has driven great business for WWE, but to me that shit is a total snooze outside of Sami Zayn’s too-good-for-wrestling-chops. I’m very grateful for AEW sticking to their guns and playing the long game with their clearly stronger in ring product. There’s enough room for improvement in what they already do to start booking like a McMahon family member.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

Cody in that Jericho feud early on in AEW was a great babyface. After a few years of the neutered WWE faces, it was awesome seeing him punch through that door to go fight Jericho.

If Cody had kept on that trajectory, I don't think we'd be having this discussion. He'd be that guy.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2023 at 11:37 AM, MrKothoga said:

I just wanna see more of Hangman, Silver and Reynolds (with a little bit of Uno in the background) together. That's all the babyfaces I need.

man, i agree so hard. Think about where Dark Order was 12-18 months ago. not only an entertaining stable unto itself, but also a major player in the kayfabe rehabilitation of Hangman. Now look where they are now. Sorry, i mean, "Where are they now?"

the last time Silver & Reynolds wrestled on TV was Rampage 11/25/22 in a losing effort to Rush, Butcher, & Blade. And that was really just to showcase 10's turn. the last time they won a match on TV? Rampage 9/2/22- Hangman, Silver, & Reynolds won vs Orange Cassidy & Best Friends in the Trios Title tournament. 

If AEW is going the way of JCP booking, then they need several potential and credible babyface threats to MJF's title since I assume MJF will have a lengthy Flair-esque title reign and will continue to fend off worthy challengers via stolen wins and weasel antics.  It won't be enough for him to survive the revolving door of usual suspects like Danielson, Page,  Moxley, and Darby Allin.  At some point they will have to address the elephant and explain what is so important about the Trios belts that Kenny Omega isn't in the World title conversation...

I also wonder who will be elevated to credible threat level because at some points during Flair's reign, the book made you believe that even Ricky Morton and Road Warrior Hawk had a chance to pull off the upset and guys like AR Fox and Takesoup are right there.  I wouldn't put OC, Wardlow, PAC, or Jack Perry in that category because could all believably beat MJF under ideal circumstances.

Personally, I'd like to see Adam Cole beat MJF for the title.  [chroniclesofriddick]In normal times, evil would be fought with good. But in times like these, well, it should be fought by another kind of evil.[/chroniclesofriddick]

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, BEN! said:

(Mike) Santana.  Good babyface fire in the ring and can cut a strong promo and presents himself seriously enough to carry a main event program.

Damn. Great pick. If he can get healthy, he could definitely go somewhere. I think both guys from P&P could be singles stars, but Santana has the size, look and promo ability to be near the top for sure.

• Like 2

If Takeshita stays in the US for a few years, I could see him rising to a main event level face position pretty quickly. They just need to start showing some personality from him.