DVDVR Message Board

2023 - IN MEMORIAM - MOVIES & TV

RIPPA

I remember when I first watched Brick and Richard Roundtree showed up on my screen. I literally shouted "RICHARD FUCKIN ROUNDTREE!!" and my fiends on the sofa thought I was overreacting 

James

• Like 2

When I think of Roundtree, Seven always comes to mind, but I had no recollection of him being the Vice Principal in Brick. He had a great later career being cast in authority figure roles by people who grew up on Shaft. 

• Like 1

I went back and read my review of Shaft for the Ernie Ladd Black History Month reviews. I really believe the opening to Shaft is a top 5 movie opening and 90% of it is how Roundtree comes off cool and badass at the same time

James

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I will again put forward my controversial opinion that I prefer the Shaft’s Big Score theme by OC Smith to the original Issac Hayes theme.

Hey at least you aren't sitting here trying to say Shaft In Africa isn't remotely watchable. Something about Shaft's Big Score makes it look like a TV movie to me. I can't explain it. The original does move slower but that a lot of that has to do with getting over Shaf as an actual detective and putting the pieces of the puzzle together. The original basically introduces all the major players in Big Score so it is a more direct "Shaft v. Bumpy" story.

Are the episodes of the TV show online anywhere?

James

• Like 1

10 hours ago, J.H. said:

I remember when I first watched Brick and Richard Roundtree showed up on my screen. I literally shouted "RICHARD FUCKIN ROUNDTREE!!" and my fiends on the sofa thought I was overreacting 

James

• Like 6