DVDVR Message Board

2023 Internet Match Thread

Noah Mark

GLEAT:  Yu Iizuka & Ayato Yoshida  vs. Hikaru Sato & Shinya Aoki

(and the rest of the show, obviously)

EDIT: based on online reviews, the main event (Fujita "Jr" Hayato  vs Takanori Ito) might be the better match.

Edited by Control
  • Like 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNpSVKaOER8

JCW (ie GCW) Big Ass Extreme Birthday Bash

• Blake Christian (c) vs Beastman (GCW World Championship)
  • Psycho Clown MAO vs Mike Bailey
  • Kushida/ Alex Shelley/ Chris Sabin vs Nick Wayne/ Jordan Oliver/ Lee Moriarty
  • Joshua Bishop vs Alec Price
  • Joey Janela vs Billie Starkz
  • Bunkhouse Stampede
  • Janai Kai vs Utami Hayashishita
Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Ace said:

Sabin's flight was cancelled. So it was Wayne/Oliver/Starboy Charlie vs Kushida/Shelley/Moriarty.

That 6-man main event was incredible, one of the closest vibes to a classic glory days Michinoku Pro/Toryumon 6-man from back in the day that a modern indie match has pulled off in a long time. 

Holy fuck!  This match is from the Sunday wrap-up show for the brief Fantastica Mania in Mexico tour from the end of June featuring New Japan and CMLL talent.  I saw this match listed, and felt sad at the time thinking I would never actually see it.   Lo and behold, CMLL actually understands that promotional material featuring this level of awesomeness needs to be utilized.  

What a month or so for El Desperado.  Truly one of the best at this very moment in time.  

I came away from this match thinking Hechicero and Despy can just take over the tag team divisions across multiple promotions starting tomorrow if they wanted to. That would be completely fine with me.  Their deviousness is off the charts.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2023 at 8:19 AM, Evil Otto said:

What a month or so for El Desperado.  Truly one of the best at this very moment in time.

Me and @clintthecrippler were talking about how he took to death match wrestling like a duck to water and apparently he has to lucha too. I was thinking, "I don't think I've seen any CMLL matches this year at all -- I've seen some AAA, plenty of wrestlers in AEW, and plenty of IWRG"... and then I thought "all that IWRG was from DEAN" and I got sad. But hey, that match was great. Hechicero continues to rule. The rolling Rings of Saturn using the legs? *chef's kiss* Douki looks like he's great in the style too. 

• Like 4

On 7/12/2023 at 1:53 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Me and @clintthecrippler were talking about how he took to death match wrestling like a duck to water and apparently he has to lucha too. I was thinking, "I don't think I've seen any CMLL matches this year at all -- I've seen some AAA, plenty of wrestlers in AEW, and plenty of IWRG"... and then I thought "all that IWRG was from DEAN" and I got sad. But hey, that match was great. Hechicero continues to rule. The rolling Rings of Saturn using the legs? *chef's kiss* Douki looks like he's great in the style too. 

Have to remember Desperado spent his excursion in CMLL. He was a natural even back then as I recall Namehague having at least a few fairly good matches.

You totally need to see more CMLL. They have been having some really good stuff this year like various Cibernetico matches, Titan/Mistico, and Rocky/Volador. 

• Like 3

Speaking of IWRG - YES. OH YEAHYUUUP. They just had their Festival De Las Mascaras (where they get old dudes to put their masks back on for one night) - I guess you gotta pay for the whole show but they uploaded the pre-show and it's got Los Mexa Boys (Noisy Boy & Spider Fly) vs. Los Lion Brothers (Leon Dorado & Mr. Leo) vs. MIKE & LEO, LOS TORTUGAS NINJAS~~~  and it's great! Two of the best young tag teams in Mexico mixing it up with two of lucha's most infamous, talented, copyright infringing goofballs. I thought there was a serious injury near the beginning (there wasn't) but nah, this is just straight up feelgood indie lucha nonsense with some real talent on display. Lord, I might not have the nerve to withstand seeing Spider Fly do his inside-to-outside Swanton ever again...

https://www.youtube.com/live/XcXvB4UYZOM?feature=share&t=2004

• Like 3

SMASH Wrestling has posted their 2023 “The Northern” tournament on YouTube

The tournament features Brent Banks, Carter Mason, Psycho Mike, Kevin Bennett, Charles Crowley, Matt Cross, Vaughn Vertigo, Artemis Spencer, Travis Williams and Judas Icarus. Plus there’s Tabernak de Team (TDT) vs Books & Looks and Nicole Matthews vs. Liiza Hall as non-tournament matches.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3yDzFetNf2YRkIXlyDyhKctKy701pBaV

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

...just when they put a ton of stuff behind the paywall

Fortunately, It seems like all of the previous Friday shows are still available to peruse.  But yeah, going forward (as of this week, in fact) it looks like they won't be.  

(Just to clarify further, I think this only applies to future events.)

Edited by Evil Otto
  • Sad 2