DVDVR Message Board

2023 MOVIE DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Watched two movies on Netflix right after I downgraded to their cheapest tier.

The Out-Laws gave it a shot since I've been on a heist movie kick, it's not horrible but it's not good, there's some funny parts and a pretty good car chase though. Pierce Brosnan and Ellen Barkin are a good combo and it got me thinking of an alt timeline where she's in a more serious The World is Not Enough or a totally different movie in the Die Another Day slot.

I also went the nostalgia kick and watched Dan Aykroyd get top billing over Tom Hanks in 1987's Dragnet! I don't think I had seen this from start to finish since I rented it in late 87 or early 88, after that I just picked it up when it was on cable. It's such a weird combo of parody, satire, and copaganda with the satire not really being a jab at cops, it straight up has the torture of a suspect used as a comedic bit, but it has a lack of outright homophobia that most comedies from that era had. Aykroyd really over does the Jack Webb impression and I think no one told him that Webb acted that way due to being either hungover or if they shot after lunch drunk, Hanks still has a lot of Bachelor Party Hanks in him which is always fun, you also get Christopher Plummer chewing a ton of scenery and Dabney Coleman goes with a Dusty Rhodes style lisp and cadence for his character. 

• Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 2:40 PM, Curt McGirt said:

1. I could not watch the scene where the new Robocop pulls its face off. That's the first time I've actively turned away from a movie in I don't know how long, maybe ever. I mean, I just shrugged off the eyeball staking in Zombie on TV the other day but that one was just too much.

Holy shit. the unveiling of the failed Robocop 2's is unintentionally the funniest thing in the movie while still being genuinely horrifying. 

I find the part with the Robocop model that kills the scientists and then commits suicide more far disturbing than the zombie face rip one, yet both are played up for the lolz.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

It's kind of a tossup. When you think about it the first one IS darker, and it's almost like the second one is funnier but has to be more gruesome to make its point but also top the first. And O'Herlihy's reactions are perfect. (It just struck me that I've only seen him in exactly three movies -- the two Robos and Halloween III -- and he seems like one of those guys I should have seen as a character actor in a thousand.) The ending is such a downer that's it no wonder they decided "well, we can't do this again, let's go get that action figure money". 

Man I just remembered, didn't they call Barkin "a beaten-up Jayne Mansfield" in Fear and Loathing or something? Jeez. Imagine being her and reading that script, thinking about how incredible the movie is gonna be, but realizing that's the shit you're gonna have to swallow. 

EDIT: And meanwhile, Gary Busey's crazy ass who had a more publicly bad career trajectory gets to improv on a movie written from a book and it stays in

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It's kind of a tossup. When you think about it the first one IS darker, and it's almost like the second one is funnier but has to be more gruesome to make its point but also top the first. And O'Herlihy's reactions are perfect. (It just struck me that I've only seen him in exactly three movies -- the two Robos and Halloween III -- and he seems like one of those guys I should have seen as a character actor in a thousand.) The ending is such a downer that's it no wonder they decided "well, we can't do this again, let's go get that action figure money". 

Man I just remembered, didn't they call Barkin "a beaten-up Jayne Mansfield" in Fear and Loathing or something? Jeez. Imagine being her and reading that script, thinking about how incredible the movie is gonna be, but realizing that's the shit you're gonna have to swallow. 

EDIT: And meanwhile, Gary Busey's crazy ass who had a more publicly bad career trajectory gets to improv on a movie written from a book and it stays in

You haven't seen The Last Starfighter? O'Herlihy is great in that. (May be subject of an upcoming pod) 

I didn’t know until like this month that Barkin’s in Fear and Loathing because she was dating Depp at the time. I avoided all of the Amber Heard trial media and discourse, so I also didn’t know she testified against him too. 

• Like 2

"...a broken down charictature of Jayne Mansfield"

So what did she say about Depp? From what I recall reading he was a total piece of shit but Heard wasn't a slouch in that department either.

And naw, never seen The Last Starfighter. Looking at his filmography, I need to see Fail Safe. One Foot in Hell is on TV all the time. He was in a lot of stuff I've never heard of and didn't look like it did much.

Edited by Curt McGirt

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

"...a broken down charictature of Jayne Mansfield"

So what did she say about Depp? From what I recall reading he was a total piece of shit but Heard wasn't a slouch in that department either.

And naw, never seen The Last Starfighter. Looking at his filmography, I need to see Fail Safe. One Foot in Hell is on TV all the time. He was in a lot of stuff I've never heard of and didn't look like it did much.

I dont know that I've seen his version of Robinson Crusoe directed by Luis Bunuel. 

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Okay I thought it was some Robocop character and he was doing double duty

Not your fault.  I think the lizard guy's name is Grig, not Greig.

Edited by J.T.

The former HBO Max suggested an actual movie over reality shows last night and one of those movies was F/X! Hadn't seen it in ages and I'm glad I watched it, has to be one of the best casted movies of the decade, besides Bryan Brown and Brian Dennehy there's tons of "wait a minute is that?". You have Jerry "Fucking" Orbach, Mason Adams aka the voice over guy from tons of commercials like Smuckers, Roscoe Orman aka Gordon from Sesame Street,Trey Wilson aka Nathan Arizona Sr. from Raising Arizona, Martha Gehman aka Ophelia from The Legend of Billie Jean, and Paul D'Amato aka Tim "Dr. Hook" McCracken from Slapshot! I also wish there was a universe where Brian Dennehy had more movies or a series with this character or one that's similar, he's so good!

There's a bit at the end that's kind of weird though.

Spoiler

Brown and Dennehy go to Switzerland and the end credits end up being travel log style shots of the neutral nation cut with clips from earlier in the movie, its so weird and out of place.

On 9/12/2023 at 10:37 AM, FourPostMassacre said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/KpBvwcA

Love Star Wars but it does not have one scene in it as close to as gangster as this one is from Last Starfighter. 

This is a good scene but all I remember about it 30+ years later is the little unnecessary flip of the eyepiece before the line.  Such a weird choice!