DVDVR Message Board

AEW/ROH Finances, Ratings, etc.

Log

2 hours ago, Log said:

Do you think he was mistaking AEW for NXT?

Y'know, I had that thought too - but elsewhere in our chat, he had made reference to Northeast Wrestling, and being friendly with Matt Taven and Teddy Long (turns out he's friends with an old co-worker who frequently attends shows, too) - so probably in the know enough to be aware

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Not sure which thread is most proper for this (not seeing a current Navel-Gazer) but I just had one of the most frustrating conversations I've ever had with another fan:

Im at the store just now getting a coffee and sandwich, and the kid behind the counter is like 'Man I can't even read the bottom of your shirt, but from the skull and the pink, is that Bret 'The Hitman' Hart?' - we get to chatting a bit, and my man gets to the inevitable 'Ah, I miss those days - haven't watched WWE in forever, man, what about you?' - 'Been a few years since I fell off, more of an AEW guy now.' His response flabbergasted me:

'Nah, bro... Like... I dunno... If I don't watch WWE, how am I gonna watch AEW, y'know what I mean?' 

'Not really.'

'Like, I dunno, man, like... It's like watching the (Brooklyn) Cyclones without being a Mets fan'

No wonder they spent a billion dollars on LED screens and those sweet new Smackdown graphics

I've always kinda considered WWE to be my home promotion cause its the first wrestling I ever saw, however I've seldom thought its the best, I've known people who think WWE isn't any good anymore but won't watch other wrestling

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zendragon said:

I've always kinda considered WWE to be my home promotion cause its the first wrestling I ever saw, however I've seldom thought its the best, I've known people who think WWE isn't any good anymore but won't watch other wrestling

Yeah, we're firmly in the northeast (hence the Indy territory's name lol) so definitely Vince-country - I'm sure that perception is at least somewhat in play here. It's been a long couple decades since March '01

• Like 2

What I take from this is that people were excited Peter Avalon showed up. They texted their friends who all tuned in, but they left when it was clear Pretty Pete wasn't coming back out again.

Edited by elizium
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

The actual interesting bit is that, given that this wasn't a line-up that seemed destined to pop much of a rating, do you think this was due to the hype of the "important announcement" or because there was no NBA game running against the show for the first time in a while? If it is the latter that is a very good thing that hints at better ratings for the half year without a NBA season, if the former then we may get an important announcement every time Tony finds a new restaurant he likes >_>

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, username said:

The actual interesting bit is that, given that this wasn't a line-up that seemed destined to pop much of a rating, do you think this was due to the hype of the "important announcement" or because there was no NBA game running against the show for the first time in a while? If it is the latter that is a very good thing that hints at better ratings for the half year without a NBA season, if the former then we may get an important announcement every time Tony finds a new restaurant he likes >_>

No NBA games, plus The Challenge on MTV was in reruns this week

• Like 1

1 hour ago, username said:

No new NBA game and no new episode of The Challenge either.

I totally popped for Peter!

Ironically, at the time he showed up, I was having a convo with a co-worker. He mentioned that he's been intrested in AEW so far (he really likes OC) but doesn't have cable, I suggested he watch Dark Elevation and Dark. He mentioned he was weary due to perceiving that those shows featured lesser talents, I had said there's a lot of great up & comers on those shows, and you'll never know who will show up, one of the reasons I'm such a fan of their YT shows. Just as I said that, The Wingmen's music hit and I went "Speaking of!" but unfortunately it was not to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I totally popped for Peter!

Ironically, at the time he showed up, I was having a convo with a co-worker. He mentioned that he's been intrested in AEW so far (he really likes OC) but doesn't have cable, I suggested he watch Dark Elevation and Dark. He mentioned he was weary due to perceiving that those shows featured lesser talents, I had said there's a lot of great up & comers on those shows, and you'll never know who will show up, one of the reasons I'm such a fan of their YT shows. Just as I said that, The Wingmen's music hit and I went "Speaking of!" but unfortunately it was not to be.

The idea that Dark is “developmental” is pretty weird if you actually watch it. It’s developmental like 2009 ECW was. It’s less so than peak mid-2010s NXT when that was 70% established Indy guys who had been working for years. Occasionally a guy like Jora Johl will get a match but 1/2 of the show is established talents/journeymen against enhancement talent and another 1/4 is name vs name midcard matches.

• Like 2