DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF - WEEK ONE

Dolfan in NYC

PITT WINS! The Pitt and WVU AD’s need to buyout one of their non-conference games in 2026 and 2027 and make the series permanent.

I figured it would be a crazy game but not that crazy! Both head coaches stink. WVU should have gone for it on that 4th down and never should have thrown on the second down that lead to the Pick 6. Narduzzi never double teaming a stud WR is enraging and tribute to Chuck Knox called the Offense will equal a 7 or 8 win season.  

Edited by Mister TV
  • Like 1

The Backyard Brawl was great shit.

But what was just greater than even that was Purdue running back a 50+ yard Pick 6 and dude immediately walking off the field and puking on camera.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

Penn State escapes with the win and the cover. I came away from that game really impressed with their defense. Very fast and aggressive. Gave up a lot of pass yards but really made Purdue earn them. Kept them in the game long enough for Clifford to have one of his random good drives and win it.

What a night!

Edited by EVA

Yeah that 4th and 1 was the typical Neal Brown tucking his balls moment.   I mean would that scored maybe or maybe not.  But it would have put the defense on the field more and they were getting beat up at that point.  And of course the other typical Neal Brown moment which is horrible clock management at the end of the game.    Really sucks for Bryce Ford Wheaton because he was having a great game and that one pass just went right through his hands.  So much for the receivers didn't have shitty hands like last year.   Daniels was fine and is still a massive improvement but not spectacular.    Boy that Virginia Tech is a monster for his job because he had to win at least one of them.  

Still incredible to see the Backyard Brawl.   Have to give PITT a ton of credit because that fan base showed up and was insane.  Never seen that before.   Usually I would love to someone with the last name of Hammond shine but maybe not this one.  Totally unstoppable once he got moving. 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

If Ohio has a defense that is good enough to not get absolutely gashed by any good running attack they see, they should be able to win it all. Naturally, I'm hoping ND rushes for 275 on them.

Michigan's offense has potential to be the best they've had in a very long time, especially if J.J. is ready to be the guy. But losing 8 players on defense, including the #2 overall pick, another first rounder, and a second pass rusher who almost certainly would've been a first rounder is he hasn't torn his Achilles at pro day (and still went in the second)... Alabama and Georgia *might* have the talent to just keep rolling after that, Michigan does not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hammerva said:

Still incredible to see the Backyard Brawl.   Have to give PITT a ton of credit because that fan base showed up and was insane.  Never seen that before.   

It’s amazing what can happen when you play regional games that fans are invested in!

That’s one reason why I think the Sun Belt is going to become the top conference in what we (for now) call the G5 within 10 years. They’ve really dialed into a regional identity, rather than chasing far-flung TV markets. There’s just going to be so much more passion for their games, and that comes across and makes for a much more fun (gasp) TV product. Just like it did for the Brawl last night.

Last night also brought up another question:  would you have free beer but no internet (last week) or plenty of internet and no beer because apparently around the 2nd half they both took all the beer.   That is how you know how strong a game is when you run out of suds after about 4 to 5 hours of tailgating beforehand ?

• Haha 1

I don’t think it was a catch, but I’m in favor of this amendment to replay rules in the last 2 minutes of a game:

1. Was the catch awesome?

2. Would this catch likely cause an awesome game to continue?

3. If the answer to both is yes, the play stands.

• Like 2

Just now, EVA said:

I don’t think it was a catch, but I’m in favor of this amendment to replay rules in the last 2 minutes of a game:

1. Was the catch awesome?

2. Would this catch likely cause an awesome game to continue?

3. If the answer to both is yes, the play stands.

There wasn't enough visual evidence to reverse the call!  VISUAL EVIDENCE!  WHY?  My day is ruined.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hammerva said:

It is very similar to the Jessie James non TD catch against the Patriots about 3 years ago.  If that catch was from 1960 to maybe 2015 then it would be a catch.  But now the level of detail is so much now 

MY DAY IS RUINED!

Yeah, that was easily the best Thursday night of week 1 college football we've ever had. Two incredible football games. You could have convinced me in some aspects that we were in November during that Backyard Brawl.

Also, WVU's O-Line is not great. JT could barely get the ball snapped without getting murdered. That Morgan kid was all over the field causing nightmares. 

I joked in a chat that Scott Frost was smiling in approval from home when that Purdue kid puked on the sideline. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

Still incredible to see the Backyard Brawl.   Have to give PITT a ton of credit because that fan base showed up and was insane.  Never seen that before.   Usually I would love to someone with the last name of Hammond shine but maybe not this one.  Totally unstoppable once he got moving. 

They apparently set a sports attendance record for the entire CITY last night, which sounds beyond crazy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

Pitt fans will show up for a big game or if the team is good, they'll sell out or nearly sell out the Tennessee game next week. When Pitt is an 8 wins or lower team Aquaman Stadium will be empty, that's mainly due to being in conferences with teams no one cares about locally and competing with 3 pro teams for coverage and entertainment dollars. Pitt also has to deal with a local media who's openly hostile to them, the local Heisman voters brag about voting for Jason White over Larry Fitzgerald or whoever won last year over Pickett.

I’ll say this about that WVU punt decision: I can at least understand the thought process behind it.

WVU defense had dominated the last two Pitt drives, including multiple sacks the previous drive. I imagine they felt confident they could get a stop with Pitt pinned inside their 10-yard line, at that point.

Also, while they had been having success running the ball, it had mostly been by gapping Pitt on early downs when they were in pass rush mode. 4th and 1 is a very different situation, and given the way Pitt had been manhandling the WVU OL, I would’ve given them very good odds to stuff that play.

A punt seems like the sensible play when taking those factors into account.

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

They apparently set a sports attendance record for the entire CITY last night, which sounds beyond crazy.

They expanded the stadium formally known as Heinz Field in 2015, I don't think the Steelers do standing room tickets like Pitt did last night. Also, the stadiums in Pittsburgh have always been on the small side, the current football stadium has a capacity of 68,400 after adding seats every few years since it opened in 2001, Three Rivers held less than 60,000, Forbes Field held around 35,000, Pitt Stadium held 55,000ish back in the day and somehow crammed 69,000 people into it for a big game against Fordham in 1938, I think people sat on folding chairs on the running track around the field.

Edited by Mister TV

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

If Ohio has a defense that is good enough to not get absolutely gashed by any good running attack they see, they should be able to win it all. Naturally, I'm hoping ND rushes for 275 on them.

Michigan's offense has potential to be the best they've had in a very long time, especially if J.J. is ready to be the guy. But losing 8 players on defense, including the #2 overall pick, another first rounder, and a second pass rusher who almost certainly would've been a first rounder is he hasn't torn his Achilles at pro day (and still went in the second)... Alabama and Georgia *might* have the talent to just keep rolling after that, Michigan does not.

lol our RBs are shit. If ND runs for even 75 yard I'll be pleasantly surprised.