DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game, v. 56

Dolfan in NYC

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Matthew Stafford is going to Canton

As much as tonight hurt I am glad for him because he took a lot of abuse and cheapshots from lots of people so he deserves this 

• Like 3

He's probably going to finish over 65,000 yards, and maybe over 70,000. And that's if he doesn't end up with crazy longevity or any more eye popping season totals.

There's no eligible QB with 50,000 yards and a ring not in (and Brady, Brees, and Rothlisberger are locks, and Eli is very close to a lock)

11 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

MVP was the doctor that took a payout to look the other way on Cupp

easy money after all the past 5 weeks of nobody testing positive for COVID.  What an amazing playoff run

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I mean if Phillip Rivers is a HOF then why not Stafford.

Rivers is an 8-time Pro Bowler.  Stafford is a 1-time Pro Bowler.  It's almost impossible to only make 1 pro bowl as a quarterback who has been in the league as long as him.  Andy Dalton has been 3 times.  Matthew Stafford has always been a talented quarterback, but this year is the only time I'd call him a good quarterback and he had a couple shaky games.  I could name 10 of his contemporaries that aren't hall of famers who I'd rather have as my starting quarterback during his career.  Not everyone has to be a hall of famer.  I don't think Eli Manning is a hall of famer, but I'd put him in twice before I put Matthew Stafford in.

24 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

This has to be the best post season ever, regardless of how this ends, right?

I got to see the 49ers ratfuck Dallas AND Green Bay on the road in consecutive weeks, and Brady Hulkamania finally died.  Yeah, it was a pretty good one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

how many people had to get hurt or decline to get Phil Rivers into 8 pro bowls

Phil Rivers was really good for a long ass time.  Rivers was top 10 in touchdowns in 11 seasons (5 in the top 5).  He was a legitimately great quarterback for the majority of his career, he just played for the Chargers.

• Like 1

Fell down a Pro Bowl wikipedia rabbit hole and woof are there some bad QBs. Trubisky. Cousins multiple times as an injury/I don't want to play replacement. Matt Schaub twice. Buccaneer Jeff Garcia. Vince Young twice (once after a year he threw 10 tds and 7 ints). Bronco Jake Plummer.

I'm not even trying to dunk on Rivers. There's never been a player I hated more, but he will absolutely be heading to the hall of fame. Pro Bowls are just weird sideshows and they really shouldn't be considered.

8 minutes ago, elizium said:

Pro Bowls mean nothing. Mac Jones is a Pro Bowler

***put the wrong Jones

I agree, but almost every starting quarterback ends up going to multiple pro bowls.  Matthew Stafford has only been once.  It's not like he was in the super bowl all those years and couldn't make the trip.  He just wasn't selected.  I can see it now, you guys are going to try to convince me that Kirk Cousins is a hall of famer after another couple years of putting up numbers that don't contribute at all to his team being any better.  Kirk Cousins by the way, 3-time pro bowler.  Jared Goff made it to two pro bowls.  I just went through year by year, and the only year I saw where he should have made it over someone who was in the game was 2011.  Eli made it over him despite having fewer touchdowns, the same amount of interceptions, and being on a worse team.  Every other year, everyone in the game was better than him.  Matthew Stafford has been average at best for the vast majority of his career.  We should celebrate the fact that he won a Super Bowl, but there is no way he should be in anybody's hall of fame.  

• Like 1

I just want to reiterate: Stafford is 12th all-time in passing yards, every player above him is now retired except Rodgers. He's only 34. He will likely finish somewhere between 5th and 3rd all-time.

He's also 12th all-time in touchdowns, with again only Rodgers active ahead of him. Will probably end up fifth or sixth all-time.

There's no way he's not going to be in the Hall, likely first year he is eligible.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

I think with Stafford you have to factor in the whole "trapped for most of his career on the Lions" bit. The main knock against him is that his stats while good are empty because he didn't win anything there, I'm not sure if Tom Brady would have won a single playoff game in his career if he got stuck there it is a literal black hole (probably wouldn't have gotten many pro bowls either FWIW). Before now there was always the reasonable question of how much of that was Stafford's fault, after this the question is pretty much answered.

On that note even though that knee injury may sadly derail the remainder of his career I think we can now safely assign the blame for the whole "why didn't OBJ work out on the Browns" situation on the team rather than him. You can debate whether it was due to the QB or coaching but he sure seemed like a pretty good wide receiver again as soon as he left there.

The moral of the story: certain franchises are so cursed that they can make tremendously talented individuals look mediocre.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I just want to reiterate: Stafford is 12th all-time in passing yards, every player above him is now retired except Rodgers. He's only 32. He will likely finish somewhere between 5th and 3rd all-time.

He's also 12th all-time in touchdowns, with again only Rodgers active ahead of him. Will probably end up fifth or sixth all-time.

There's no way he's not going to be in the Hall, likely first year he is eligible.

That's why we shouldn't just look at numbers for the hall of fame in football.  Vinny Testaverde has more touchdowns than Joe Montana.  One of those guys is an all-time great and the other just put up numbers.  There is no world where anyone who has been watching football over the last decade plus who thinks that Matthew Stafford is a better quarterback than Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, or Eli Manning and I wouldn't vote for any of them to be in the hall of fame.  If you aren't one of the 10 best quarterbacks of your generation, which Matthew Stafford is not, you shouldn't be in the hall of fame.  I don't care what the numbers say, he was never considered one of the best quarterbacks in the league and we all know it.  Drew Bledsoe has better numbers than Johnny Unitas, I guess he has to be in the hall of fame.  He's clearly one of the best quarterbacks of all time.  That sounds stupid right?  Guess what, when Bledsoe retired, he was in the top 10 in all-time passing.  No one should think he's a hall of famer, because he wasn't.  You are arguing for this generation's Drew Bledsoe to be inducted into the hall of fame, because he put up a bunch of meaningless numbers over a pretty long career.  Not only that, Drew Bledsoe was better than him when compared with his contemporaries.  We don't have to be the prisoner of the moment on this stuff.  At his absolute peak, Matthew Stafford was just good enough that you weren't looking for his replacement.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

For the record, I would take Stafford over Eli without half a second of hesitation. 

And I'd take him over the other three as well. 

Stafford didn't make the Pro Bowl the year he threw for 5000 yards and 41 TDs. Or the year he threw for 4200 and 32 TDs. And he almost certainly gets a nod in 2019 (2500 & 19 TDs in half a season) if he doesn't get hurt. He's been more than good enough to go several times. 

• Like 1

Matt Ryan kind of sucks

Romo actually did suck pretty fucking bad, dude would fold up like a cheap card table if you yelled loud enough

Phillip RIvers is better than either of them and he's not exactly an all time top 10 guy either

I am a Packers fan so I shit on the Lions for the pure sport of it but if you think in a fantasy world you would win a Superbowl with Romo before Stafford, you are out of your fucking mind