DVDVR Message Board

The Big Game, v. 56

Dolfan in NYC

Still trying to decide if Bengals fans are happy that they aren't having to play the 49ers based on history, or if they're disappointed that they won't get the chance to bury that past.

• Like 1

I still can't wrap my mind around how a Bengals team with Carson Palmer, prime Chad Johnson, Marvin Lewis when he wasn't sucking as a HC, and a bunch of others couldn't even make it to the AFC Championship game, but this Bengals team with a bunch of dudes lead by Mixon and...Burrow?...are in the Superb Owl.

I doubt I'll pay much attention to the game, but it will at least be on in the background while a bunch of us play poker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I still can't wrap my mind around how a Bengals team with Carson Palmer, prime Chad Johnson, Marvin Lewis when he wasn't sucking as a HC, and a bunch of others couldn't even make it to the AFC Championship game, but this Bengals team with a bunch of dudes lead by Mixon and...Burrow?...are in the Superb Owl.

I doubt I'll pay much attention to the game, but it will at least be on in the background while a bunch of us play poker.

636324417059418206-Kimo-von-Oelhoffen.jp

Edited by elizium
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Young boy with the most swag Joe Burrow or grizzled vet wasted for the first ten years of his career by a shit team Mathew Stafford. One of these two men will be a Super Bowl Champion. I wonder how Barry Sanders & Megatron are processing this. It's clear if they were able to get out of Detroit like Stafford did, they could have very well had Super Bowl opportunities too.

Happy for Beckham. He got fucked by Gettleman in New York. Then sent to Browns hell to run routes for no real reason since Baker couldn't get the ball to him. Another example of talent breaking free from bad situations being a good idea.

Also, we're doomed for a blowout aren't we? The playoff this year have been amazing. Every game from divisional round on was a one score game down to the last possession. We'll have to pay for that pleasure with a bad Super Bowl right? The football gods won't also bless us with a fun Super Bowl will they?

• Like 2

Imagine Matt Stafford's pudgy little face lifting the trophy.  Beautiful isn't it.

Imagine Matt Stafford's pudgy little face all sad at having missed out.  Heart-breaking.

Having said that, I wouldn't be mad if Joe Burrow and the Bengals win as he seems like a lovely young chap.

I just hope they all have a lovely time, but one obviously won't.  Don't give me the sad puppy dog eyes Matt Stafford, I can't help you win it.

My Facebook feed is covered with Detroit Lions fans rooting for the Rams in the Super Bowl.  So many people wanting Stafford to get a title.  I feel the same way.  Stafford was far from perfect in Detroit - sketchy mechanics at times, questionable decisions at others - but 98% of the time, he had very, very little help around him.  And Detroit fans recognize that and hope he gets a title, much like they did with Justin Verlander when he left the Tigers (hopefully without the cheating...).

Personally, I hope that Stafford has permanently buried the "he can't win big games" narrative regardless of the outcome of the Super Bowl.  He led a comeback against a top-notch defense in the conference championship, overcame 4 fumbles by his teammates and a blown lead against Tom Brady, and has generally played excellent football in the playoffs (115.6 rating).  Maybe, just maybe, he can win big games when there's more than 2 NFL-caliber players on the roster.

• Like 3

Stafford is a good feel-good story after spending a decade in Detroit.  TV will also like the stuff about his wife (diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2019, had to go through extensive rehab after 12 hrs of brain surgery).

On the other hand, Joe Burrows is all over my Twitter feed today talking about his ginormous necklace.  "I make too much money.  The diamonds are real." is the quote.  Yeah... I dunno how this dude didn't become a pro wrestler.  He has a very punchable face and a frat boy swagger.  If this football thing doesn't work out, Vince should sign him to be Miz 2.0.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

My Facebook feed is covered with Detroit Lions fans rooting for the Rams in the Super Bowl.  So many people wanting Stafford to get a title.  I feel the same way.  Stafford was far from perfect in Detroit - sketchy mechanics at times, questionable decisions at others - but 98% of the time, he had very, very little help around him.  And Detroit fans recognize that and hope he gets a title, much like they did with Justin Verlander when he left the Tigers (hopefully without the cheating...).

Personally, I hope that Stafford has permanently buried the "he can't win big games" narrative regardless of the outcome of the Super Bowl.  He led a comeback against a top-notch defense in the conference championship, overcame 4 fumbles by his teammates and a blown lead against Tom Brady, and has generally played excellent football in the playoffs (115.6 rating).  Maybe, just maybe, he can win big games when there's more than 2 NFL-caliber players on the roster.

I should mention that the rest of my Facebook feed is covered with people rooting for the Rams because Cooper Kupp went to school at Eastern Washington, which is roughly 20 minutes from downtown Spokane where I live.  So, yeah, going by Tabe's Facebook Feed, the split is 99% Rams vs 1% Bengals.  

I wrote this in a Defector comment before the Championship games:

I was a 9/10-year old Bengals fan in SW Ohio during the 1981 season. They had changed to their new striped helmets that year, and I practiced drawing that helmet in class, using one of the NFL pencils that we could but for a dime at school (but not the Bengals pencil, that was in the case never to be used). I had all of their Topps cards stuck to my wall with poster tack. I was so excited for my team to be Super Bowl bound.

The Monday after the Super Bowl, I made a big deal at school out of breaking one of those NFL pencils...the 49ers one! To this day, I'll always have a slight grudge against Montana and Walsh.

So I'm rooting for the Bengals (and the Rams), but fuck Joe Mixon!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Craig H said:

T.J. Houshmandzadeh cursed the team after he shined his shoes with the Terrible Towel and it was finally broken by Burrow & Co.

see, that's the thing.  If the Bengals finally get one of their own then I don't have to feel kinda bad about how the 49ers Dynasty which gave me so much joy was largely built at the Bengals direct expense.  It wasn't the totally good clean fun of vanquishing an old power that neutral observers were sick of and happy to finally see dethroned, like Pittsburgh was then [though beating Dallas on the way sure was great], or New England would've been lately.  The 49ers and Bengals were ascendant for the first time at the same time, and stuck in each others' way.  They were a fellow proletarian finally rising up and toppling what was then the NFL's old guard.

It could have been them instead of us.  But it wasn't.

It'd be nice to see them finally get one and -- not that I wouldn't have gladly taken it at this point -- but it'd have felt kinda cosmically cruel to finally get another one only at their direct expense again.

Plus, you know, there's the whole division rivalry and NorCal vs SoCal thing in general to stoke plenty of animus against the Rams.

so, go Bengals, for now and for once.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I wrote this in a Defector comment before the Championship games:

I was a 9/10-year old Bengals fan in SW Ohio during the 1981 season. They had changed to their new striped helmets that year, and I practiced drawing that helmet in class, using one of the NFL pencils that we could but for a dime at school (but not the Bengals pencil, that was in the case never to be used). I had all of their Topps cards stuck to my wall with poster tack. I was so excited for my team to be Super Bowl bound.

The Monday after the Super Bowl, I made a big deal at school out of breaking one of those NFL pencils...the 49ers one! To this day, I'll always have a slight grudge against Montana and Walsh.

So I'm rooting for the Bengals (and the Rams), but fuck Joe Mixon!

one of the last times a team's uniform change was actually an improvement

• Like 1

Sure, Stan Kroenke moved the Rams out of the other side of Missouri and his daughter(?) had her name on the Mizzou Arena for a few weeks (The Paige Sports Arena) but they're not the Bengals and that's what matters here. Los Angeles seems like a fun insane place that I've never visited (I vacationed in San Diego once and the weather was gorgeous there in June).

The Chiefs loss yesterday doesn't need to look better as a result of the Bengals actually winning the SB or anything.

The Cincinnati Bengals asked the NFL for permission to host a watch party at their home stadium for the Super Bowl.  The NFL, proponents of fun and good times whenever possible, declined the request citing "legal and logistical difficulties".  

On 2/3/2022 at 10:26 AM, Tabe said:

The Cincinnati Bengals asked the NFL for permission to host a watch party at their home stadium for the Super Bowl.  The NFL, proponents of fun and good times whenever possible, declined the request citing "legal and logistical difficulties".  

Then. Now. Forever: the No Fun League

• Like 3