DVDVR Message Board

Award Season 2022

RIPPA

I think the ethical rulebook says you're supposed to punch the dude *off-camera*

It's possible the whole thing was "Will Smith is Wayne Brady in the Chappelle Show sketch" sort of moment.

Or a moment like how some people thought Hammer was soft when it turns out that MC Hammer would have had Chris Rock thrown into the San Francisco Bay if Rock talked about Mrs. Hammer like that.

Nobody died or got hurt. People just provided bad examples of how to treat each other. I guess something happened at the Oscars for the first time since they fucked up the reading of the Best Picture winner.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

And the way they pushed these categories off screen should be nearly as embarrassing as the Smith/Rock thing.

An old friend of mine won one of those Oscars too. Best Make-Up and Hair for The Eyes of Tammy Faye. Finding out it was gonna be offscreen was one of the reasons I didn't bother watching.

• Sad 1

I didn't watch but the Rock/Smith thing is kind interesting because I've started to see the Oscars as this strange liminal space where we take a bunch of super rich people (in other words people who we kind of secretly think need to be taken down a peg) and we're supposed to love them and cry for them and be so happy for them and sympathize with them but they're also still super rich and probably a lot of them assholes and they just gobble up resources and attention in their walled Elysium so we hire one guy to go up there on our behalf and say the meanest shit he can get away with about them because it's the one time we get to see someone do that to them to their face. And this is all in the same show.

I think we either need to grow up and stop pretending we like them enough to be offended for them or stop watching them on awards shows at all if we hate them enough to want Ricky Gervais or Chris Rock to go up and roast them.

Maybe it was different when the academy still pretended to care about any of the technical awards or the past and "film buffs" would watch for that stuff, but now it's all about the drama of this year's chosen unicorn pretty person crying or whatever. It's an idea that has been focus-grouped right to the brink of being too absurd to exist. Like, the razzies should end. But the Oscars shouldn't be far behind. They're only maybe 20% less irrelevant to anyone's experience of movies anymore.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 5

I think the confrontation was a shoot, but Will worked the slap. That, or it was the first time in his life he had even mentally conceived of the idea of striking someone with an open hand. If you taught a baby giraffe how to slap someone, it might look like that.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Smith's speech was something. Explaining himself without explaining himself, apologizing to the academy without apologizing for what he did..m

With a dash of " I'm a method guy now and that was Richard Williams" tossed in. It's hilarious 

1 hour ago, username said:

We have this weird society where people think you can say something that'll get you slapped if you say it to someone's face yet it is cool to say it on tv. Will Smith shouldn't have done that... but if you make fun of someone's wife's condition in front of both of them and you take a shot I ain't gonna cry for you. Hopefully they both learn something from this.

Sucks as I like both of them ?

Does that still apply if you laugh at what they say first? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Will Smith has a history of getting in “one little fight” to be honest.

Maybe he’ll have to move back to Philly.

Maybe this is why Will's dad didn't want him. BTW, even being 41, the scene when Will's dad walks out on him still hits hard. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe this is why Will's dad didn't want him. 

Still laughed at this even though it's one of the first things I think about from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and how moving it is.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad Sir. Kenneth Branagh has finally won an Academy Award. Branagh should be on a couple. Glad Jessica Chastain won her first Oscar,  Best Actress. I'm also glad Billie Eilish and her brother, Finneas won Best Original Song. That's three Best Original Song for James Bond films in a row: Adele, Sam Smith (I HATE THAT FUCKING THING!) and Billie/Finneas Eilish. Should be four with Chris Cornell.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1