DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2021 - WEEK ELEVEN

Pete

• Pete pinned this topic
5 hours ago, Pete said:

And just for @Dolfan in NYC, who has gone mysteriously silent in the past few weeks:

d323e3eaf434a864da8d27ec8cdedf1df3825c99

I don't have to sit here and listen to these unprovoked and despicable attacks against me and my alma mater.  Right?  

resources_header.jpg?itok=7ccyE0LQ

Exactly. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

USC-Cal has been postponed till Dec 4 and Cal continues to be - as far as I can determine - the only team who couldn't contain COVID this season

Although part of Cal's problem as "containing" Covid is partially thanks to the Berkeley City Board of Health which has the same 10 day isolation policy after testing negative no matter the vaccination status of the people testing positive.

From the entity currently using the name Sports Illustrated:

This one sentence on the UC website governs the matter:

When someone tests positive for COVID-19, they are required to isolate for at least 10 days per public health isolation order, regardless of vaccination status.

So a 99% vaccinated Cal football team has a bunch of players out for 10 days as if they're all unvaccinated.

It's possible the Berkeley policy is pretty deliberately opposed to the whole express lane concept that a bunch of other entities give vaccinated individuals who tested positive. Perhaps they're right from a consistency standpoint that letting vaccinated people emerge after testing negative on back to back days while unvaccinated have to wait for 10 days has some scientific flaws or whatever.

Then again, the whole Berkeley policy reminds me that "hey, Berkeley had more antivaxxers than normal before Covid". Back when the cause of antivaxxers was bringing back measles and some California places with a lot of liberal Democrats saw measles outbreaks as a result of some people being assholes. It's a bit less fashionable for people in some areas of California to oppose Covid vaccines as much as they opposed measles vaccination but Berkeley having an approach to isolating positive cases which accidentally motivates antivaxxers wouldn't be the first time that antivaxxers got some motivation from various parts of California.

Antivaxxers aren't really known for great message discipline, which means the "it doesn't work lane" isn't really used too much as arguments about the vaccines causing death or the spread of Creuzfeldt-Jakob disease or making spoons stick to you. Argument-wise, it seems 'easier' to argue something is safe than to argue something is effective?

The other thing that is probably not yelled out loud is if other universities/football teams don't test or don't regularly test vaccinated players (short of a close contact situation or someone getting obviously sick), that's a hell of an incentive for a coach to get everybody vaccinated so that things don't go haywire if players test positive.

For some reason the Florida/Florida State "flu outbreaks" come to mind, but i'm sure there's some details where it's not blatant system-gaming, right? Some smaller school will have to get popped for that before they get the Gators or Noles.

A certain amount of the "protocols" from the team side is to play games without too many roadbumps. They care about safety, sorta, kinda, to a point. But they also like money too and even if players can get NIL money this year (as opposed to playing for free with all the mandates of the 2020 season), it's still a bit of a messed up dynamic that we'll all watch anyways.

Anyways, it should be fun whenever they rollout more widely available post-infection drug treatments which would cost more than vaccinations.

• Like 1

Georgia LB Adam Anderson has been charged with felony rape

Anderson voluntarily turned himself in to police on Wednesday and was being held without bond. He also denied the charges (via his attorney)

Georgia had suspended him at the beginning of the month when first learning of the allegation

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

Lol wut 

There was a rumor they were paying Noel Mazzone a retainer to draw up offensive schemes for them the last few weeks, which was an odd blast from the past for me. 

Edited by Chaos

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am gonna assume the current 122 points in Samford/Florida hit the over

According to Yahoo, Florida by themselves beat it by half a point.

Michigan survives and actually wins a semi-big game.