DVDVR Message Board

What Is The Matrix?

Zimbra

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Watched that a few times already and it's changing some of the footage its using. Rad.

The story I saw says it changes depending on the time of day

• Like 2

My thought way back when to do a Matrix follow up right was that Neo and Trinity both become programs within the Matrix, but that was all but hinted at and alluded to within the Matrix Online, which is cannon. There was a whole storyline in that about Morpheus trying to get Neo's body back from the machines. Spoiler time though...

Spoiler

Now, how much the stick to the Matrix Online being cannon will be interesting because Morpheus gets assassinated in it. Not to mention that Morpheus is way, way younger and this clearly takes place after the Matrix Online. My guess is we'll get a twist and young Morpheus is an agent or something. 

Something else I just thought of too was that they established that a program/virus could take over a living host with Smith and Bane. I wonder if they do something like that with Neo and Trinity.

Given that you could argue that Neo himself is just a program that overflows into a living host toward the end of each "cycle" it's not out of the question that Neo still exists even with "dying" to delete Smith and reset the Matrix.  The entire point of The Architect's word salad in Reloaded is that no matter what he does, an anomaly program comes into existence that ends up in Neo.  So even with an "Optional" Matrix existing after Revolutions, the anomaly program is still going to be an issue.

• Like 2

DON’T LOOK UP: I’m of the opinion that McKay hasn’t made a particularly good movie in 10 years, so I’m not surprised that this looks dodgy.

MATRIX RESURRECTIONS: The original Matrix trilogy got worse as it went along, and the Wachowski’s output over the last decade has been headscratching at its best (and rumblings about this script suggest this could be more of the same), but I’ll be damned if I won’t give this movie a chance.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The Matrix Resurrections

Fuck. Yes. 

I have no idea why it has taken them this long to use White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane.

*chef's kiss*

If the girl in the trailer with the rabbit tattoo actually turns out to be Dujour

7f24919e025f9937d7c7dbe192284537.jpg

(even if the character is played by a different actress), I will fucking lose my shit.

I'm all in dudes.   I'll see you in the theaters on Christmas Day, bitches.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

MATRIX RESURRECTIONS: The original Matrix trilogy got worse as it went along, and the Wachowski’s output over the last decade has been headscratching at its best (and rumblings about this script suggest this could be more of the same), but I’ll be damned if I won’t give this movie a chance.

Yeah - I was just thinking about how I haven't seen Revolutions since I think seeing it in the theaters because I disliked it so much but now I am like "Dammit - I think I have to watch it again to remind myself of what happened"

Fucking tie....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Guess I actually have to watch parts 2 and 3 now. . .  ?  

Just go read the Wikipedia.  That's pretty much what I told my kid to do.  Watch the first one / read the wiki on the other two.

The first Matrix movie has one of the best endings in movie history.  Don't sully it by actually sitting down and watching the sequels.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair - Matrix 2 has some really good action scenes

Those you can find on Youtube though

The Chateau brawl, Morpheus / Trinity vs. the Twins (the Rule of Cool can even make you overlook blatant cultural appropriation), and Neo vs. Agent Smith(s) are all epic fights but yeah, they are on YouTube.  I love the series, but even I would be hesitant to sit through all of Matrix 2 when I can just watch the fights on YouTube.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

So, that Matrix 4 trailer.  Is Neo / Thomas buying that copy of Through The Looking Glass from the fucking Oracle?

And is that the deja vu glitch cat on Dougie Howser's desk?

Sooo many callbacks and hooks.

Edited by J.T.

Just now, J.T. said:

So, that Matrix 4 trailer.  Is Neo / Thomas buying that copy of Through The Looking Glass from the fucking Oracle?

That was my first thought. My second thought was they obviously want you to draw parallels to all of those characters so it's probably not.  I'm not even sure who I'd want as a new Oracle. Hard to replace the original original. That felt like a major old Auth Viv and new Auth Viv type of thing to me.

After watching Creed 2 again last night I thought that maybe Felecia Rashad has an Oracle-ness to her, but also, she's said gross supporting things about others and hard pass on all of that.

The best way to experience the last two Matrix movies is to just skip all of the scenes that take place outside of the Matrix outside of the final scene to part 2.

I'm seriously staring at buying the UHD Trilogy set right now even though I own that gigantic box set on DVD. 

As much as I know Matrix 2 and 3 are bad, I still have some love for them. It's like having a friend who turned into a fuck up and you can't turn your back on them. 

The thing I never understood was why the Matrix never got the Star Wars EU treatment. I thought for sure after the animatrix that we would have had a litany of novels to expand that universe even more and the most we got were 3 bad to OK-ish video games.

• Like 2

I kept watching the movies and hoping for better.  I was invested in Neo because I like tragic heroes that are stubborn and struggle against all odds.  I was not happy about how everything ended (so far) but at least it was logical and fell within the mythology we were already familiar with.

I think the utter collapse of the movie franchise kinda explains why there was never any expansion.  That and I am not sure if the WB wanted to build a meta licensing industry out of the Matrix IP.  If they knew then what Disney knows now, I am sure WB would've handled things differently.

I think there was also some legal back and forth between WB and DC / Vertigo over the "extreme similarities" between The Matrix and Grant Morrison's classic series, The Invisibles.

• Like 2

It also did not help that absolutely zip was done with any of the good ideas that came from the AniMatrix other than some passing blurb about the crew of the Osiris.

It is funny how works "borrow" from one another.  Nearly all of the weird karmic stuff found in The Matrix and the concept of the mind being able to warp the fabric of reality seems to be leveraged directly from The Invisibles and the Geth origins mission in Mass Effect 3 is pretty much The Second Revolution I and II from The AniMatrix.

Edited by J.T.