DVDVR Message Board

What Is The Matrix?

Zimbra

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

As much as I know Matrix 2 and 3 are bad, I still have some love for them. It's like having a friend who turned into a fuck up and you can't turn your back on them. 

The thing I never understood was why the Matrix never got the Star Wars EU treatment. I thought for sure after the animatrix that we would have had a litany of novels to expand that universe even more and the most we got were 3 bad to OK-ish video games.

I'm trying to remember which of the two console games I played, and which one is supposed to be decent. Hard to believe it's been over 16 years since a game was released. 

*Looks at Ebay* 

One other thing, I can't tell you all how fucking stoked I am that Jonathan Groff is part of this. Just hearing him saying that line at the end gets me pretty giddy about what his role is going to be.

Re-watched the entire Matrix trilogy earlier this year because I knew this was coming. All I could do was marvel at how a studio let them make those sequels to something that landed as big as the original film. Mock big studios as we should for the scared shitless bets they're constantly making on bland/safe existing IP, I just think it's wild that those movies exist the way they do. As frustrating as they are, they're fascinating. Been waiting to see what one of these looks like in 2021. Excited. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Re-watched the entire Matrix trilogy earlier this year because I knew this was coming. All I could do was marvel at how a studio let them make those sequels to something that landed as big as the original film. Mock big studios as we should for the scared shitless bets they're constantly making on bland/safe existing IP, I just think it's wild that those movies exist the way they do. As frustrating as they are, they're fascinating. Been waiting to see what one of these looks like in 2021. Excited. 

I think they're fascinating watches with the commentary tracks that exist too both the philosopher and the critic tracks. 

The original Matrix movies is one of those films I saw in the theater multiple times. When Reloaded came out I went to see it with my roommates and it was among the most stoked I've ever been to see a movie. We all left with a krustywhatthehellwasthat.gif reaction. I don't think I ever watched all of Revolutions and am not sure I want to. The Animatrix doesn't get that much attention, but it should as it's vastly superior to the latter two thirds of the trilogy. I'll give this new movie a chance but am not getting my hopes up.

Oh,  I also tend to give Matrix 2 something of a pass because POD's Sleeping Awake and Calm Like A Bomb by Rage Against The Machine are on the soundtrack.

There is no spoon, dudes.

Back to the A24, yeah.  Waves also made me cry tears of rage.  It is the best.

Edited by J.T.

I was working at the theater with the Matrix came out. I went with a bunch of friends in my senior class in high school. None of us had any idea of what to expect. We're all goth and punk kids, we saw Blade earlier in the year (I think it was that year), then we saw the Mummy, and we're like, maybe this Matrix movie will be good but Keanu sucks and this other similar Matrix looking movie Existenz looks even better.

Our fucking minds were BLOWN. We all went to Steak N Shake afterwards and hung out there until 3 or 4 am talking about the movie and all kinds of other shit. One of my happiest memories ever. So much fun.

Probably watched it 2 or 3 more times at work until it finally got pulled. Loved getting to start to clean out those auditoriums while Wake Up by Rage of the Machine was pumping through the speakers. "HOW LONG? NOT LONG! BECAUSE WHAT YOU REAP, IS WHAT YOU SOW!" That then became something of my rallying cry leading up to the last election and the few days after. 

I don't think anything will ever replicate that movie experience for me, but I sure as hell hope Resurrections comes part of the way to replicating it.

• Like 1

The thing about the original release of the first Matrix film was how little was known about it. Like, from the creators of Bound (which not many people saw), and all of the pre-movie hype was with the tagline "What is the Matrix?" and very little to give away that there was actually action in this movie.

And also the thing from six months earlier, where there were Paparazzi photos of Keanu going out on his day off, looking skinny as a rake, pale as a ghost and completely hairless. People thought he was on chemo or something.

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh man, that would be a weird twist. That the machines are just really lazy and just keep recreating the same bodies. 

I mean, the whole thing with the machines using humans as batteries fails when you think about it for a few seconds, so them just cloning the same few people over and over isn't THAT much of a stretch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

I mean, the whole thing with the machines using humans as batteries fails when you think about it for a few seconds, so them just cloning the same few people over and over isn't THAT much of a stretch.

True enough, but the clones are still injected into the Matrix as infants and have to develop normally. 

On the squick side, it is highly probable that the infant clones that are inserted into the Matrix are nourished by the liquified remains of the previous cloned incarnation of themselves.

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

It's not, but -- and now I'm just theorycrafting -- you'd think that super-intelligent, unemotional machines would ruthlessly keep eugenics front and center.  So, they'd be breeding ones who produced more energy and discarding those that didn't.  Since gender and sexuality probably wouldn't matter, it would explain how the world 20+ years after the original Matrix would allow diversity to flourish within itself. 

The only thing that matters to the Matrix is, are these batteries working efficiently enough and how can you get them to be more efficient. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

It's not, but -- and now I'm just theorycrafting -- you'd think that super-intelligent, unemotional machines would ruthlessly keep eugenics front and center.  So, they'd be breeding ones who produced more energy and discarding those that didn't.  Since gender and sexuality probably wouldn't matter, it would explain how the world 20+ years after the original Matrix would allow diversity to flourish within itself. 

The only thing that matters to the Matrix is, are these batteries working efficiently enough and how can you get them to be more efficient. 

Theoretically using Matrix logic, that probably would not work.  The key to the Matrix functioning as it should is that the copper tops "accept" the virtual reality sim they are all hooked into and that can't really happen if all of the copper tops are perfectly healthy people.   The first version of the Matrix was designed to be a utopia with perfectly healthy people and it failed miserably.

There has to be as much genetic and cultural variance as possible so that the copper tops all believe that they are a part of some sort of living, breathing society and it has to have the same crapsack qualities that the real world had.  The Matrix works best when people assume they are living normal lives, whether they be wealthy or homeless and destitute.

Copper tops can't also be the same gender since gender is reflected in residual self image when they are plugged into the Matrix. 

The Matrix itself doesn't necessarily have to evolve.  You could effectively trick all of the plugged in into thinking it is always 1999.  This is probably why the machines require the code from the One:  to reboot the Matrix when code bloat begins to cause unstable anomalies like people becoming aware enough to notice that time isn't passing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Theoretically using Matrix logic, that probably would not work.  The key to the Matrix functioning as it should is that the copper tops "accept" the virtual reality sim they are all hooked into and that can't really happen if all of the copper tops are perfectly healthy people.   The first version of the Matrix was designed to be a utopia with perfectly healthy people and it failed miserably.

There has to be as much genetic and cultural variance as possible so that the copper tops all believe that they are a part of some sort of living, breathing society and it has to have the same crapsack qualities that the real world had.  The Matrix works best when people assume they are living normal lives, whether they be wealthy or homeless and destitute.

Copper tops can't also be the same gender since gender is reflected in residual self image when they are plugged into the Matrix. 

The Matrix itself doesn't necessarily have to evolve.  You could effectively trick all of the plugged in into thinking it is always 1999.  This is probably why the machines require the code from the One:  to reboot the Matrix when code bloat begins to cause unstable anomalies like people becoming aware enough to notice that time isn't passing.

FWIW, and again, this is relying on the Matrix Online as cannon, but RSI can be saved and used for someone else. I think.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

FWIW, and again, this is relying on the Matrix Online as cannon, but RSI can be saved and used for someone else. I think.

I was under the impression that RSI could only be saved and used by Matrix autonomous programs like the Architect, the Oracle, and the Agents?