DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2020 WRESTLING CHAT.

37 minutes ago, AxB said:

People who are ideologically lead, they tend to take all evidence that proves or disproves their central philosophy as positive reinforcement. If Baba lived, the Noah split never happened and the two Takeshis both failed as main eventers, the lesson Baba would take from that may not have been that Misawa should have been moved from the top spot sooner. It may have been that Misawa should have stayed on top for even longer.

What was Baba's view on Kobashi, I didn't get into Puroresu until about '03 or '04 my perception was Kobashi was Rock Misawa was Austin but Misawa was evidently Hogan. I was a bigger fan of Kobashi when I started following NOAH, but he was injured alot and had that cancer scare that slowed him down an Akiyama never got to the level people thought he'd get to 

32 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Oklahoma wants to bring in Combat Sports.

No-one cares what Ed Ferrara wants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

So as far as recently released talents and their new/old but using them again non-WWE names, is this everyone so far?

Dash Wilder - Cash Wheeler

Scott Dawsom - Dax Harwood

Sin Cara - Cinta De Oro

Luke Harper - Brodie Lee

Kassius Ohon - Chris Hero

7 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

So far I've been given no reason to believe that all Australian country music doesn't sound like this.

As opposed to AUSTRIAN country which sounds like this:

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

So as far as recently released talents and their new/old but using them again non-WWE names, is this everyone so far?

Sin Cara - Cinta De Oro

Luke Harper - Brodie Lee

The Revolt should really just use their real first names to go with using their real last names.

I'm personally glad Brodie and Hero are back to using their pre-WWE names. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 hours ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Also, you know Vince is going to be insufferable when live shows restart.

I'm hoping he goes full post-9/11 SmackDown and gives a speech about the nation's leaders encouraging people to continue living their lives the American way and not live in fear. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Haha 2

So you know how WWE likes to erase people from history once they're out of the company? Does the current official history state that The Wyatt family consisted just of Bray and Braun Strauman?

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

Sin Cara - Cinta De Oro

Luke Harper - Brodie Lee

Hero is more known by his non WWE name obviously but I will say he probably had the best name of anyone to be apart of that NXT system and it played off the Knock Out artist deal he already had going on. He probably is one of the guys that will have a job waiting for him again when they get back to normal, itll probably be up to him whether he wants to stay on the indies. Even the Revival seems like they've done there best to not have to do a complete makeover outside of WWE for over a year now, it's just the timing was bad.

People were talking briefly in the last monthly thread about how much WCW in the late '90s aped WWF. I'm watching through Nitro and Thunder right now, and most of that aping is off The Rock. Macho Man was out here on some "If you smell what Mach is cookin'" shit, nevermind The Juice and Vampiro spamming Rock Bottoms and whatever else you can think of.

The Rock was so over in 1999 that people in rival companies, at least one of whom is a no-brainer HoFer and elite all-around wrestler, was leeching off of his shine and/or heat. It's wild to think about. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly

Classic promo. "Wait, wait, wait, that's not it either!" 

Then he hit us with the Most Electrifying Line in Sports-Entertainment Today and it was great. I remember hearing this promo live. It's etched in my brain along with half the other shit The Rock's ever done.

2 minutes ago, (BP) said:

As far as sad late WCW ripoffs of WWF, Brad Armstrong having to do the Buzkill gimmick is up near the top.

Arguably not even his worst wcw gimmick, sadly 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think pro wrestling has ever recovered from The Rock. Post-Rock, it's like, we just saw a legit movie star with A-List charisma be entertaining as fuck even with dumb catchphrases and throw-away segments. I think that for many people, casual fans, at least, it was all over after that. We're never getting that shit again unless we're really, really, really lucky.

Hogan and Austin are mega-stars in the business, and getting that is hard enough. Getting a legit A-List movie star on a fucking pro wrestling show is just too much. How can you go back to the typical acting and charisma level of your average wrestler after that? It's not the sole reason that wrestling is in a slump stateside, but I think that it's definitely a key reason. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

I agree with that, but even then, there's still problems with having an ace. You can't make the ace so high above everyone else that no one can even slightly touch them, but even then, there are some people who SHOULDN'T be able to touch the ace or the star.

It ties into the controversy last week over Omega giving his jobber a competitive, back and forth match very well, because if you have a true mega-star, then there should be some guys who it's clear "not only is this guy not in the star's league- quite frankly, they're not even playing the star's sport." There's a very thin line between "Wow, that jobber nearly HAD the superstar! They might be a name to watch in the future!" and "...wow, this superstar really sucks. They had to struggle to beat that no-name guy? If they can't beat that guy easily, how the hell can they beat the actual stars?".

It's the same with an ace. Someone like Roman Reigns shouldn't be so far ahead of people he could destroy Drew McIntyre or Seth Rollins without breaking a sweat...but if Roman Reigns can't destroy Akira Tozawa without breaking a sweat, then that just makes Roman look bad and won't really make Tozawa look much better. When there's too high a difference between the superstar and the lowcarder, it goes past "the lower name just got MADE by the ace and is now in that league", goes past "this was a huge upset, and the lowcarder might be a little higher on the card", goes past "This was one of the biggest flukes in wrestling, and it did nothing for the lowcarder", and can go screaming into "This was a comedy segment. See, it's FUNNY because the lowcarder beat the top star, and that's funny because even if you tied the ace's hands and legs behind his back, then gave the lowcarder a nuclear bomb, the ace would STILL win. So the lowcarder winning is funny, because he could never win against him!"

This whole thing reminds me of how odd I find it whenever Ric Flair brags about making George South look like Ricky Steamboat in a studio match. I mean I get it in the context of Flair buttering his own ass for being generous to the lowliest of jobbers and being able to carry the proverbial broomstick to an entertaining match, but in practice, it's lame and silly. To be fair to Flair, he is one to talk out of his ass and misremember things frequently so maybe the match wasn't as competitive as he made it out to be. 

55 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

This whole thing reminds me of how odd I find it whenever Ric Flair brags about making George South look like Ricky Steamboat in a studio match. I mean I get it in the context of Flair buttering his own ass for being generous to the lowliest of jobbers and being able to carry the proverbial broomstick to an entertaining match, but in practice, it's lame and silly. To be fair to Flair, he is one to talk out of his ass and misremember things frequently so maybe the match wasn't as competitive as he made it out to be. 

The thing with those matches is that Flair would give a guy like George South some shine and make him look good for a minute or two but then methodically break him down and destroy him. It's not like he'd go 50/50 with the guy and then eke out a win. There's a world of difference between letting a guy look good for two minutes before killing him dead and having a titanic back and forth struggle for 20 minutes.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AxB said:

So you know how WWE likes to erase people from history once they're out of the company? Does the current official history state that The Wyatt family consisted just of Bray and Braun Strauman?

Right now, it feels like they're erasing Roman from their history and Roman is still with the company.

9 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

It ties into the controversy last week over Omega giving his jobber a competitive, back and forth match very well, because if you have a true mega-star, then there should be some guys who it's clear "not only is this guy not in the star's league- quite frankly, they're not even playing the star's sport."

I only just caught up on this ‘controversy’ and my major thought was: wait til all the people freaking out about this see Ricky Steamboat take on Bob Bradley at Clash V 

• Like 2