DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

Season 2 will be completed, and they are trying to find a new home for it so it sounds like Prodigy isn't completely dead yet. I thought it was a pretty solid show overall so i hope they are able to continue or at least wrap up the plot with Chakotay. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Eivion said:

Season 2 will be completed, and they are trying to find a new home for it so it sounds like Prodigy isn't completely dead yet. I thought it was a pretty solid show overall so i hope they are able to continue or at least wrap up the plot with Chakotay. 

Paramount+ was literally marketed as the home of Stark Trek where you are supposed to be able to watch all the new shows. 

Basically, it sounds like the new way of business isn't working and studios would rather make money from licensing out and selling shows to other networks or services. 

Or maybe, we should have more physical media available so at least we have a way to continue watching these things when studios and corporations pull them and throw them in the trash void.

• Like 4

LOVED this week's SNW!

Given that I tend to hate time travel stories in Trek (save for like 2) that is saying something. Just a good emotional episode

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

Ok, a Time Travel episode I didn't have, and an actual explanation as to why the Eugenics Wars  keep happening later and later, although I guess with baby Khan it's gotta happen soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Ok, a Time Travel episode I didn't have, and an actual explanation as to why the Eugenics Wars  keep happening later and later, although I guess with baby Khan it's gotta happen soon.

Y-y-you mean in the show timeline right? Or are you wrapped up in things we shouldn't know about?

Jmes

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

Was Anson Mount filming something else during this time? Because he has been in only a tiny percentage of scenes so far.

Apparently they were letting him spend more time with his newborn. 

• Like 2

Of the three chess games Kirk played, in the first one they definitely used the ending of the Carlsen-Karjakin match:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2016#Game_16:_Carlsen–Karjakin_1–0

I did not recognize the other two games (if those were famous games as well), the last game was barely visible at all anyway. I was actually surprised that the did not use the "Opera Game" (Murphy vs. Duke of Brunswick & Count Isouard) which is often used on TV (e.g. in the Columbo episode "The Most Dangerous Match", but I have seen it on other occasions as well, I think once on Numb3rs, for example).

On 6/30/2023 at 1:51 PM, Eivion said:

Apparently they were letting him spend more time with his newborn. 

Pishtosh! You think they can afford that hair in every episode?

James

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

SNW S2E4 - A solid episode. Nothing to actively dislike. A a standard "We fucked up violating the Prime Directive" TOS style episode but they kinda fixed the infraction at the end as opposed to the TOS shoulder shrug "Sorry we kinda made you all Nazis/Gangsters. Our bad" resolution.

Episode Rating: 3.5 out of 5   

Mount's Hair Rating: 4.75

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, J.H. said:

SNW S2E4 - A solid episode. Nothing to actively dislike. A a standard "We fucked up violating the Prime Directive" TOS style episode but they kinda fixed the infraction at the end as opposed to the TOS shoulder shrug "Sorry we kinda made you all Nazis/Gangsters. Our bad" resolution.

Episode Rating: 3.5 out of 5   

Mount's Hair Rating: 4.75

James

Except for the sound. On my system at least, I have to turn it up loud to hear the dialogue, then get blasted with the screeching noise a half dozen times during the episode. . .

At this point, I've accepted the shifting timeline explanation from a couple episodes ago as the reason that going back we're seeing things differently than we knew happened, and I'm ok with it as they're being faithful to dangling plotlines from older shows while doing something "new".  

I'm also growing more convinced that if the show goes long enough to finish Pike's 5 year that we're going to get a redo of TOS in the "new timeline"

I honestly thought that they were going to fix the problem this week by using an old transporter pattern for Spock but that would be to easy and a very Reed Richards Super-Science way to resolve it. Instead they went the even more out way out there solution.  don't have an issue with it just a "ok I get it" feeling.

James

I'm 9/10th through S3 of Picard and it was fun to go back through the thread and see everyone's ideas and then it just be the Borg again. All of you took it well though. It very much felt like a Daleks teaming up with the Cybermen kind of outcome to me. I've got nothing against the Borg coming in (though I was trying to explain to my wife how it was like someone using Venom again in a Spider-Man story), but it did feel a little weird after that had been such a focus of S2. I have this weird gap where I never saw DS9 despite having strong working knowledge of TOS, TNG, Voyager, but it still hit a lot of the nostalgic beats so far. I'll double back after actually watching the last episode.