DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Pictures on the Twitter machine today reveal...

WE'RE GETTING A STRANGE NEW WORLDS AND LOWER DECKS CROSSOVER!!!

This has been known about for nearly a year. 

Do we finally have pics or vids for teasers? Was never sure if it would be animated or live action.

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

This has been known about for nearly a year. 

Do we finally have pics or vids for teasers? Was never sure if it would be animated or live action.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be Live Action.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

And the season big bads are the Gorn.  I'm kinda ok with this as they're probably the last relatively untouched bad guys from the TOS era.

And it's something different from Borg.

Did I miss the explanation ton what the green drug M'Benga and Chapel took was and why they had it?  

I'm adjusting to more openly emotional Spock, even if he did get his Kobyashi Maru moment here.

Carol Kane was fucking awesome, and I'm good with her being this crew's Guinan.

• Like 1

And the season big bads are the Gorn.  I'm kinda ok with this as they're probably the last relatively untouched bad guys from the TOS era.

And it's something different from Borg.

Maybe that is as good as time as any: I hate the Borg as main villains, they are completely one-note "you are going to be assimilated". There is only so much you can do with them besides having them as seemingly unstoppable force. You can have them being a thread to your very existence (like done in Best of Both Worlds and later), you have main characters getting assimilated (again Best of Both Worlds), free a Borg (again Best of Both Worlds (and later), as well as I, Borg and Voyager) and have people deal with the fallout of your planet getting assimilated (Generations, I guess?). You can do so much more with Romulans, Cardassians, Founders, Klingons ...

It was good and well for a couple of episodes in TNG, the movie was also fine because adding the Borg Queen gave it a bit more dimensionality, but bringing them back for Voyager and Picard (and even for one episode Enterprise) was not necessary. Literally any other race would have been more interesting. Well, maybe not in Voyager because the races they came up with for that show also were hit and miss at best.

I think the Gorn were introduced in episode 9 of season 1, but they were talked about for more than that. I say I think because I was dozing in and out and it's one of the episodes I need to rewatch. The one thing I do remember though is that the design or aesthetic for them resembled Xenomorphs, and that's fine by me.

• Like 1

I think the Gorn were introduced in episode 9 of season 1, but they were talked about for more than that. I say I think because I was dozing in and out and it's one of the episodes I need to rewatch. The one thing I do remember though is that the design or aesthetic for them resembled Xenomorphs, and that's fine by me.

They were talked about in several episodes due to one of the crew being a survivor of an attack. First time we actually saw them in SNW was the Alien inspired episode you're thinking of where the Gorn children had Xenomorph aspects. We should be seeing older variants this season.

Ad Astra Aster - this should've been the SNW S2 premiere. Everything about Gene Roddenberry's vision was on full display in the speeches put forth. Wht they launched S2 with the previous episode I will never understand

James

• Like 2

I thought the launch episode was good and a good idea in general to throw off the obvious just a bit. It also helped set up what we got here in episode 2. Loved this episode. I always enjoy the Federation being called out on some of its hypocrisies or issues in general. I also just enjoyed how Una's friend clearly set up so much. She clearly knew what she was doing from the getgo once she accepted the case. I loved how even the judges and prosecution were clearly impressed after her final statements. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I thought the launch episode was good and a good idea in general to throw off the obvious just a bit. It also helped set up what we got here in episode 2. Loved this episode. I always enjoy the Federation being called out on some of its hypocrisies or issues in general. I also just enjoyed how Una's friend clearly set up so much. She clearly knew what she was doing from the getgo once she accepted the case. I loved how even the judges and prosecution were clearly impressed after her final statements. 

I loved Spock's "emotional outburst". Una's speech was Picard  in "The Drumhead" level great

James

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

I agree. And they needed to start with a big adventure episode to reset the table and grab potential new viewers.

THEN drop one of the best Trek episodes ever.

• Like 2

I also like how they ordered the first two episodes this season. Second episode was fantastic. I was tearing up with the big speeches. The conclusion was a fairly Star Trek-esque convincing way to save Una's career. 

Having watched the first six episodes for Season 2, Strange New Worlds is probably my favorite TV show on right now. It's so consistent, and the ensemble is fantastic.

• Like 1