DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

19 hours ago, Eivion said:

Yeah that cliffhanger was painful once I realized how long it will be until we see part 2.

Welp, now that I've seen that finale, yes that is exactly the case. This is going to be a tough and long wait. Unless the AMPTP can stop being greedy corporate dickheads and get shit done for once.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After an amazing season of SNW, I'm waiting with bated breath for the next season of Lower Decks that's about to start. Meanwhile, I just put on the H&I network on antenna TV. It's one of the score of rerun channels on free tv, and they do a Star Trek block every night. TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise every night are right there for me. I just tuned in for an Enterprise S3 Ep I never saw since I gave up on the show around halfway through S3 and this one is pretty fucking good, despite the whole Xindi 9/11 storyline that's kinda fucking awful. 

And it's HILARIOUS that they thought that making the terrible theme song more of an acoustic take was how to fix the problems with the show and the song. I've heard that S4 actually gets on track, but it was too late. And the only thing anyone remembers is the awful last episode that I did watch.

Wonder if that is the channel my dad keeps DVRing old Trek episodes from. 

Never did watch Enterprise. Watching people talk about in other places and on TrekCulture almost make some want to finally give it a shot since it sounds like it got good eventually and had plenty of good ideas even if the execution was lacking. 

I watched the 9th episode yesterday. On the one hand, the female part of the cast is definitely very musically talented (the male side was saved by heavy usage of auto-tune). On the other hand, the songs were mostly very forgettable (besides the song by Chapel and Spock's reprise (ignoring the horrible lyrics of the reprise) about halfway through). Once More With Feeling (Buffy) this was not, it's not even My Musical (Scrubs). Besides the non-catchy tunes (which to me is one of the more important things in musical episodes), it felt too long and they centered the big finale around the best singer in the cast but did not give her much story to work with (has it ever been part of any story that Uhura feels alone?).

BTW: there were a couple of lines that felt like obvious nods to Once More With Feeling (I doubt that it's a coincidence that during a musical episode they start talking about bunnies, for example).

Edited by Robert S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lower Decks has been killing it this season and this week we learn that Betazed has their own intelligence service despite already being in the Federation.

Just a ridiculously fun episode!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

So tbe basic idea in Lower Decks is that the higher levels of Statfleet brass really are awful at diplomacy right? 

It's always Freeman or Pucard or some Captain in the field who knows how to deal with other alien cultures.

James

46 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Um, it's been the idea in Star Trek for awhile that the Brass has been incompetent.  That's been the case since TNG.

See I always coughed that up to arrogance of rank, not out right ignorance BUT the argument can be made the 2 go hand in hand.

Still loved this week's Lower Decks was fun!

James

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Using Nic Lorcarno after already referencing Tom Paris before is fine deep cutting! Plus how meta is it for Lower Decks to go deep on TNG episode "Lower Decks" is just more icing on this cake!

James

• Like 2

I don't know what it says about me that I immediately recognized the name "Nick Locarno". I guess I remembered it because I don't think there are any other Star Trek characters named after a Swiss town - BTW weird that Robert Duncan McNeill's both Star Trek characters are named after European cities (okay, Paris could obviously also be a reference to the Illiad, plus it's a real first and surname, but you get what I am trying to say).

And that New Axton B-plot had to be a rip on Star Wars, including weird aliens in a run-down bar (on what looks to be a desert planet run by Empire officers lookalikes) and accusing one of them as being a (literal) puppet plus a stranger in a helmet that he never takes off. Also the way that Klingon dressed in the A-plot I first thought that was an Ewok.

Edited by Robert S
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

That Lower Decks finale was such a love letter to Wrath of Kahn. I loved every moment of it.

We deserve a fifth season!

James

Yeah, it was fantastic. I loved the whole season and how the finale tied up all the loose strings. Locarno as the big bad and the tie ins to " The First Duty" and "Lower Decks" were great. And the Twaining gag is just the best. 

• Like 1

It was great seeing something of a finale to Mariner's big character arc the past few years and how the tied it into Trek's past and the general trauma of being in Starfleet during war time. Was not a direction I would have guessed Lower Deck's would go when it started as a series, but its been wonderful.

I think it's something like 15 years since I've last seen Enterprise but back then I thought it got panned undeservedly. It was definitely not perfect, some of the minor characters were either completly forgettable (e.g. if I had to name the main crew I definitely would have skipped Travis Mayweather) or underused. Also the main plot with the temporal cold war did not hit as much as the showrunners probably thought it would. But there was a lot to enjoy there, the early episodes really hit the tone of entering the big, strange, unknown universe quite well, seldom did humans feel so small, the universe so casually dangerous in Star Trek. The Vulcan/Andorian storyline was probably my favorite of the series, Vulcans were never that interesting to me than here. In the last season, they had a bunch of great multi-partes IIRC.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...