DVDVR Message Board

MASS EFFECT FRANCHISE CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I forgot that you can choose Morinth over Samara and she takes her mothers place on the team/.

She doesn't fool everyone.  Kelly Chambers gets a "there's something weird about Samara" vibe almost immediately.

You've also set yourself up for a very special cameo in ME3 if you kept Morinth on your team.

Avoiding the last handful of pages because between my vacation and then everything with my mom, I haven't had much time to play. Also, my daughter has been wanting to play Outer Wilds with me a lot so we've been focusing on that more than anything else. So anyway, I am very behind and have only completed a handful of missions in ME2.

So, is there a decent order I should follow for the missions and assignments? I really want to do more assignments, but my team is the first two people you start with and now I have Jack. Should I just do the rest of the recruitment missions? I guess I'm just trying to not do things out of order so I don't know if any recruitment missions will make things weird when I go to do more assignments.

Finally, where in the hell do I find the Brandy for the doc? Again, I would look it up online, but I'm going to inadvertently spoil myself for something else if I do that.

OH! Oh oh oh...I swear, I freaking swear I had Garrus in my party super early when I played ME2 on the 360. I didn't play much of ME2 back then, but I swear I had him in my party and he was even grittier than before and he was also nearly killed. This time around, there's no trace of Garrus. I feel like I messed something up or, like usual, I'm not remembering it correctly.

Re: Garrus - you didn't mess up but you are also not remembering correctly

You will understand as you play

Regarding "proper" order - the game splits things up with mandatory missions that occur when specific conditions are met

Assuming you are on the Normandy - you were giving "dossier" of folks to recruit - The Professor, The Warlord, Archangel and The Convict are from the original game. The Veteran and The Master Thief are DLC

Complete the 4 from the original game triggers the first "mandatory" mission

So with all that said - I would recommend...

RECRUIT THE PROFESSOR FIRST (technically you will also basically automatically recruit the Veteran just by landing on Omega)

This is just because he unlocks important things on the Normandy that make your character better.

Then you should go to the Citadel to get The Master Thief

Beyond that - you do you. Note that the Veteran and the Master Thief are the only two you can do loyalty missions for PRIOR to said "mandatory" mission.

Mark likes to scan every planet ever to have as many resources as possible early

I tend to hop between scanning for resources, getting the DLC characters and then trying to clear out random shit I find. (A lot of XP can be earned meandering around Omega and the Citadel)

EDIT - I forgot to mention that besides the characters, 2 pieces of DLC are available right from the start. The other DLC unlocks later in the game

• Thanks 1

Oh dude, thanks. That is easily the best advice I've seen. Regarding scanning, I fell down a rabbit hole with that like Mark and I'm just constantly scanning stuff. I think I have everything maxed out on those bars except for Element Zero. I take it I can take a break from scanning for a little bit?

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Oh dude, thanks. That is easily the best advice I've seen. Regarding scanning, I fell down a rabbit hole with that like Mark and I'm just constantly scanning stuff. I think I have everything maxed out on those bars except for Element Zero. I take it I can take a break from scanning for a little bit?

You can always be scanning (despite the green bars being at the top you can always keep adding more)

And you can never have enough Element Zero since it is the element you can use to reassign Shepard's points and give him a special ability (plus there are other things you will need it for)

But yeah - it is better to go to Omega than do anything else

• Thanks 1

So ME2 stuff that I wanted to be in ME3 but wasn't:

• Toombs Part 2.
  • Recapturing "Billy" the serial killer that escaped Purgatory.
  • Something involving Grow Zero, the anti-population terrorist group.

I also think that Garrus:  The Archangel years should've been a DLC.  I also never fail to be intrigued by Garrus's story about the Elcor diplomat that was a serial killer and an organ-legger.  I think I would've liked some sort of ME spin-off where you worked C-Sec.  You'd probably have shitloads to do and never have to leave the Citadel.

• Like 1

Got irritated last night doing Grunt's loyalty mission as I we are making quick work of the Thresher Maw and I got glitched on the corner of the stairs and couldn't move so I got drilled by three straight acid bolts and died so I had to do the fight all over again

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

So ME2 stuff that I wanted to be in ME3 but wasn't:

• Toombs Part 2.
  • Recapturing "Billy" the serial killer that escaped Purgatory.
  • Something involving Grow Zero, the anti-population terrorist group.

I also think that Garrus:  The Archangel years should've been a DLC.  I also never fail to be intrigued by Garrus's story about the Elcor diplomat that was a serial killer and an organ-legger.  I think I would've liked some sort of ME spin-off where you worked C-Sec.  You'd probably have shitloads to do and never have to leave the Citadel.

DLC, comics, novels, ect. You are now making me wonder how the fuck Bioware and EA left so much money on the table by not doing stories like this for Garrus and the ME universe in general.

• Like 1

Zaeed is a weird dude.  He's willing to let a bunch of innocent people die in a burning refinery, but draws the line at torture and hiring Batarians.  He also does not seem to be bothered by murdering oodles of mercs from his own organization.

Why can't someone on my squad have that slick little wrist Omni-Tool that Samuels has in Stealing Memory?

Edited by J.T.

TIL that when you're planet scanning in ME3 and you have to escape from the Reapers after too many scans, you can determine which side of the system you enter on by rotating your ship on the map before you re-enter it.

I'm guessing that everyone else knew this already and I'm just 8-9 years behind.

While Overlord is still creepy as fuck it is also tedious as fuck

Stupid Hammerhead

Jacob is my last loyalty mission (not counting Legion) so I will do that and then Lair of the Shadow Broker because I want access to the terminal that reallocates squadmate points AND I need more credits to buy all the remaining upgrades

Stupid patch that took my money away

Last night was first time in a while when i needed credits, to buy the weapons upgrades from the guy with the pyjack problem. 

i also have over 600,000 resources in all but element zero and have 100,000 of that now.

Edited by odessasteps

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Last night was first time in a while when i needed credits, to buy the weapons upgrades from the guy with the pyjack problem. 

i also have over 600,000 resources in all but element zero and have 100,000 of that now.

Jesus fuck, dude.  Did you strip mine the entire galaxy?

• Haha 2

See this is what really highlights the difference between pre and post patch

Mark only just ran out of money while spending who knows what on probes (and a lesser extent fuel)

Meanwhile - I rarely drop a planet below moderate (and most of my rich planets are still rich) and still have more than enough resources for all upgrades (I am not even that hard up for Eezo - but I also am not constantly changing Shepard's special power)

Nor did I buy any of the DLC stuff (Kestrel, Blood Dragon, etc..)

Yet I have been pretty much poor since Illium

I know there is still one biotic upgrade (that is the real dagger since that one is 10K) and another gun one (I think Shotgun damage) that I still need to buy.

I am not sure why the devs felt the need to fuck with the money since the economies of ME2 and ME2: LE are very different. 

All of the DLC items that the Illusive Man shipped to us for free now have to either be purchased or crafted in the lab and you really need to have a gear build in mind before you start buying shit or using resources.

There are more money sinks in this game than there used to be.  I don't think the devs took that under consideration when they clamped down on starting funds.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I have the bad habits of buying stuff from terminals before talking to the merchant and getting a discount, so that's some degree of wasted cash. 

Dear Lord, man.  Commander Shepard, Bargain Hunter has been a meme for over a decade.  Never buy anything until you have worked your scam first.

There probably should be an achievement for buying something at full price.

As for my resource strategy.  I am lazy so I will only scan planets if I am low on resources.  I am constantly running out of platinum so I am always on the hunt for it.  I am dumb and vain and always get the Med Bay Scanner installed whether I need it or not and that shit is like 50K plat.  Depending on how you play the game, platinum is probably the most used resource.

I tend not to scan random planets unless I have to and if I have to bother using a probe to find a mission marker, I will usually just go ahead and grab all available resources from the target planet.

Edited by J.T.

Overlord managed to find a way to make me hate it more than usual - having the game crash just after I had finished off those shield things and the Geth cannon.  My least favorite of the DLCs, now that Pinnacle Station is dead.