DVDVR Message Board

2016-17 NBA - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

On 11/26/2016 at 9:33 PM, Cole Miner said:

Speaking of loss of patience someone please take Okafor already. Getting to the point that we'll be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for him. A late 1st and a scrub is what we could likely do now. Unless someone is crazy.

Best was when Philly sports radio mooks were talking Sixers this summer and were throwing out hypothetical Okafor trades. It was things like "Okafor to the Celtics for Avery Bradley and their Nets pick." Or maybe it was Nerlens.

Either way, I really hope it was a performance art piece because Okafor is bruuuuuuutal.

• Like 1

1) Worst injury news of the year is Mike Conley. Dude was LIT this year and playing at an All-Star level. Memphis was going to once again be the scariest team in the playoffs that can't actually win the playoffs. He's out for six weeks so hopefully they can hang in there. That team if healthy is really nice. The Grit'n'Grind Grizz is one of my favorite "eras" of a team that has a style and nickname but won't win it all. Like the Seven Seconds or Less Suns and Run TMC.

2) Giannis is having himself a year. 34/12/5 against Cleveland last night. (The JR Smith highlight is wonderful.) Averaging 26.4/8.2/7.2. Greek Freak is for real. Jabari's also starting to become really good. They're one more good player (a healthy Khris Middleton?) from being a really weirdo good team. They kinda were two years ago but now it's for real. I can very easily seeing them take the Raptors to 7 games in the playoffs. (Although I love the Raptors.)

3) Killa Kemba is also must-see TV. Charlotte is a really entertaining average team.

4) The most entertaining team is Minnesota. I would love if KAT/Wiggins/Zach could have a good game all at once. That would be nice. They're one of the best League Pass Experiences. They remind me of the Odom/Miles/Livingston Clip Show.

5) The most pointless team is Orlando. I for some reason love watching Magic games. The team makes no sense as a roster (Serge Ibaka?)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

4) The most entertaining team is Minnesota. I would love if KAT/Wiggins/Zach could have a good game all at once. That would be nice. They're one of the best League Pass Experiences. They remind me of the Odom/Miles/Livingston Clip Show.

I have yet to see a Thunder game where I wasn't sure who was winning late in the fourth.  I'm sure it has happened, but I haven't seen it.  Thunder could be down ten with two to play, and I'd be all "Well, they just need a steal and two threes to be back in it."  And then they do just that.  Kinda like tonight.  Down 7 with four to play, I knew they were winning.

If we are talking TEAM as an entire unit, seriously did anyone think the Lakers would still be at .500 a month in?  Hell, I thought they were pretty much dead after last night, and then they knock off the Bulls.  If they end up even sniffing 40 wins by the end of the season, Luke is Coach of the Year.

10 minutes ago, sabremike said:

How could nobody else have brought up the debacle in Philly tonight? Thank God I didn't make the trip down. What a fiasco.

I'm going to guess because it involved a game with the Sixers and the Kings and no one else knew.  I didn't until you brought it up.  

It was cool of Cousins to try to clean it up himself though.

So I'm fully prepared to #trusttheprocess right now, because you can't convince me that Carlisle didn't tank the game with the Spurs last night.  Curry and Powell were having great nights, so they get pulled in crunch time.  Dorian Finney-Smith does an amazing job guarding Kawhi Leonard in the first half, so of course he's not matched on him at all in the 2nd, and Kawhi gets hot.  We put in a cold Jonathan Gibson at the end of the game when it was close. 

Also, the scouts are already looking at Fultz. The team is playing so fucking hard, but it looks like it'll just be one L after another, either way.

Yeah.....I honestly thought we had a playoff team this year, but injuries have been killer. Dirk has played only 5 games, D-Will has been in and out. Harris JUST suited up for the first time last night. We've been starting Seth Curry and undrafted rookie Dorian Finney-Smith for crying out loud. Yeah, they have both performed well, and Barnes has been great, but it's been rough.  Even if everyone gets healthy, I think it's too late to think playoffs at this point.

Big win by the Rockets.  Amazing how much he great Harden is playing right now.  I know Westbrook gets all the pub, but Harden is the MVP by far.  Also, Steph Curry had a garbage game.  Must have been that defensive juggernaut he was facing.

Also Draymond needs to start getting kicked out of games if he's going to keep kicking people like that.  He axe-kicked Harden in the face tonight and still didn't get kicked out (he got a flagrant-1.  I guess axe-kicking people in the face is a "basketball move").

16 hours ago, RandomAct said:

So I'm fully prepared to #trusttheprocess right now, because you can't convince me that Carlisle didn't tank the game with the Spurs last night.  Curry and Powell were having great nights, so they get pulled in crunch time.  Dorian Finney-Smith does an amazing job guarding Kawhi Leonard in the first half, so of course he's not matched on him at all in the 2nd, and Kawhi gets hot.  We put in a cold Jonathan Gibson at the end of the game when it was close. 

Also, the scouts are already looking at Fultz. The team is playing so fucking hard, but it looks like it'll just be one L after another, either way.

I don't buy teams tanking at all.  And I feel your pain, I've sat through two of the worst Lakers teams in history.  It's a defense mechanism.  If you're losing on purpose to have a 25% shot of drafting a guy who as the last decade has shown has (as best) a 20% chance of actually being a game-changer and a 50% chance of a team who was horrible now be just kinda bad....  Why would you throw so much away to roll the dice on odds that only get worse every year?

Sometimes teams that should be good are just terrible.  

• Like 1

No Westbrook have tonight? No problem. Harden with a 29-15-13.

(Neither of them is the MVP right now though. People need to look at the efficiency numbers of Durant and deal with the fact that by going to GSW, he has basically broken basketball.)

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Klay went off tonight. 60 points.

In a shade under 30 minutes. The most anyone has ever scored in under thirty minutes of court time

According to SportVu he was assisted on all but one of his baskets, only had possession of the ball for 90 seconds, and only dribbled 11 times.  That is absolutely bonkers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

John Wall scored 52 and the Wiz still lost by 8.

I wonder what the largest margin of defeat is for a team that had a guy score 50 points

Whatever it is, I imagine its held by Pete Maravich. ... 

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

John Wall scored 52 and the Wiz still lost by 8.

I wonder what the largest margin of defeat is for a team that had a guy score 50 points

Had a hunch I knew the answer to this one. Did some research and the hunch was right. Dana Barros of the Sixers in 1995. Scored 50 in a 29 point loss to Houston. 136-107. Only 2 others scored 50 in losses of 20 points or more. Wilt in 64 in a 22 point loss. D Wade in 2009 in a 23 point loss to Orlando.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199503140PHI.html

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Dana Barros had a fifty point game?!?!

Barros' 94-95 season was the ultimate contract year. Averaged 20 a game, made the all star team, and got a nice deal from Boston as a free agent afterwards.