DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

26 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Months ago he said publicly that he didn't like either candidate.  Why are people mad at him for not voting for someone he doesn't like.  Not only that he is in a state that was going to be for Hilary whether he voted or not.  He isn't in a battleground state, he isn't someone who liked any of the candidates, and having the right to vote means you have the right not to vote.  There is not a single contradiction in his message for making the decision to not vote.   

The ONLY thing one could hold against Kaep is that there might have been some ballot initiatives that he might have wanted to support and vote for.  Otherwise, no one should have a problem with him not voting at all.

The way I see it, one could make an argument that Kaepernick should have used his platform to promote candidates on a state/local level.  I'll listen to that discussion.  But as for the national election, he readily expressed his displeasure with both Hillary and Trump.

That does beg the question, though:  did Kaep not vote at all?  Or did he just ignore the presidential part and vote on San Fransisco/California issues?

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Months ago he said publicly that he didn't like either candidate.  Why are people mad at him for not voting for someone he doesn't like.  Not only that he is in a state that was going to be for Hilary whether he voted or not.  He isn't in a battleground state, he isn't someone who liked any of the candidates, and having the right to vote means you have the right not to vote.  There is not a single contradiction in his message for making the decision to not vote.   

Because:

A) There were more than 2 people on the ballot. I dunno about California but Washington had 7.

B) Because there was other stuff on the ballot, stuff with local impact whose outcomes were not assured. 

That's why. 

• RIPPA unpinned this topic

Not sure where the right place to put this is, but Deandre Levy gave an interview this week where he said his proudest college moment was breaking Joe Paterno's leg, and then called the enabler a dirtbag.

So, yeah, it sucks how long he's been hurt, but he's probably regained the status of being "my favorite Lion"

• Like 5

Buffalo Bills offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson was suspended 10 games Tuesday for a second violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Henderson, 24, missed the first four games of the season for his initial violation of the substance abuse policy. Henderson's agent, Brian Fettner, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter in September that the positive test was triggered because Henderson was using medical marijuana to treat Crohn's disease, an inflammatory condition that affects the digestive system.

After serving his four-game suspension, Henderson has appeared in just one game this season -- in a reserve role. Jordan Mills has started all 11 games this season for the Bills at right tackle.

I feel two ways about that, nothing to do with the fact its a Bills player. On one hand, he knew what he was doing was against policy and he would be suspended again, so I don't know why he bothered train/come back while being fully aware of the consequences. On the other hand, if someone has a legitimate disease/ailment and was prescribed medical marijuana in a state it is legal, it seems harsh to suspend him.

I do understand the NFL's stance, where if they allowed medical marijuana that football players would find a hack doctor to give them a prescription. And its unfair to allow some players to smoke but not others depending on the state they live in, so they just have a blanket policy that while strict is straightforward and clear (in reference to drug use, not other random policies). I don't think there is an easy solution, or if it will have to wait until the next CBA.

I will say that I don't think he has a lawsuit, which some online have claimed. Employers aren't required to allow someone to work who has a medical marijuana prescription as they can still claim even though it is legal that it impacts the person's ability to do their job functions. I think the cases that have gone to court over this that the employers have won.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for him. I had ulcerative colitis and my late uncle and a dear friend of mine crohn's. The constant pain is worse than the constant bathroom breaks, hands down. If he really is getting help from marijuana (and my friend does, so I believe the player) he may simply need to pick a different career. I know, easy for me to say from this end of the screen.

Or the NFL could stop being pricks and allow medical use exemptions for their damn league of crippling pain and horror. Pill addictions for all!

• Like 2

But we both know its not that simple. Famous people find docs to write them prescriptions for whatever reason, there are people with medical marijuana that don't have crippling pain. The real solution would be to make a list of diseases/ailments that its acceptable for, but it would take awhile to come up with a list.

Lots of jobs don't allow it, its not an NFL-only issue. People just care more because they want to see their million dollar crash dummies cripple themselves for their amusement. Its an issue across the board in states with legal medical marijuana and its not something that can be easily and simply changed.

19 hours ago, Ryan said:

Or the NFL could stop being pricks and allow medical use exemptions for their damn league of crippling pain and horror. Pill addictions for all!

Nothing like opening the door to steroid use as well. 

Testing for marijuana in the NFL is beyond stupid.  Henderson had a portion of his intestines removed and can't take pain killers because of his condition.  If marijuana can help him deal with his constant pain, he should be able to do it.  All the opioids that they pump into these guys are much more harmful than marijuana and they are just accepted as part of the game.  Marijuana has a stigma, but it is much safer long term than the drugs they are using.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I laughed for way too long at Cam being benched for a series because he wouldn't wear a tie. And his reason for not wearing a tie was "I didn't have one that matched my outfit." Its a silly rule, so only fitting to have a silly reason to not comply.

Of all the crazy shit he's worn to games, the problem was that he didn't wear a tie.  That dude comes to games dressed like something from Alice in Wonderland, and no one has an issue.  He has the nerve to wear a turtle neck, he needs to sit his ass down.

• Like 1

Cards Michael Floyd busted for a DUI

The police report cited by ArizonaSports.com alleges that Floyd was found asleep behind the wheel of his still-running car. He was arrested around 2:48 a.m. and was charged with two counts of DUI, one count of obstructing a roadway, and failure to obey a police officer.

It is the 2nd time he has had a DUI as he got one when at Notre Dame too