DVDVR Message Board

NFL OFF FIELD ISSUES

RIPPA

Oh Pacman

Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Adam Jones faces several charges after he was arrested early Tuesday morning for allegedly pushing a man and poking him in the eye and then refusing to comply with law enforcement officers, according to Hamilton County Jail records.

Jones, 33, was arrested and booked in the jail at approximately 12:30 a.m. Tuesday morning. He was and charged with assault, disorderly conduct, obstructing official business and harassment with a bodily substance, court records said.

When arrested, Jones refused to enter the police car and allegedly pulled away before kicking and head-butting an officer, jail documents said. He then spit on the hand of a nurse while he was being booked into the Hamilton County Justice Center.

I don't know, as far as Pacman goes I don't even know if we should even hold this one against him.  I really want to know the details on this one.  How often in the history of the world has someone been arrested for a push and an eye poke?  That seems like something you'd get kicked out of a bar for, but what exactly would have to happen for someone to call the police for that?  

More details

Jones, 33, was booked at 12:25 a.m. local time and is scheduled to be arraigned at 9 a.m., so details are scarce until then. But police were called to the Hyatt Regency Hotel in downtown Cincinnati, and things allegedly escalated from there.

WLWT-TV reports that Jones is accused of beating on a hotel room door while screaming and swearing, and pushing and poking someone in the eye. FOX19 reports that Jones is accused of kicking and headbutting an officer while refusing to enter a police car.

At the Hamilton County Justice Center, Jones is accused of spitting on a nurse on the jail’s medical staff. That’s a felony; the other three charges are misdemeanors.

1 minute ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I can see why.  The officer has means to defend him/herself.  The nurse doesn't and has nothing do with arrests.

I'd agree with this 100%.  Not only that, if you spit on someone they should be able to kill you without punishment.  Spitting on someone is just vile and disrespectful, and there is never an excuse for it.  

• Like 1

Might depend where it took place. And Kevin, I doubt Pacman Jones is the hill most people are going to choose to die on in defending when all is said and done and out in the open. Note, I said most.

6 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Might depend where it took place. And Kevin, I doubt Pacman Jones is the hill most people are going to choose to die on in defending when all is said and done and out in the open.

*Puts hand on holster*

7 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Note, I said most.

*Moves hand away from holster*

Please don't shoot me. My white privilege shield can't deflect more than 1 bullet in a lifetime.

I've been pulled over and openly lied to by cops trying to fill some sort of quota for OWIs, but I can't imagine experiencing that on a regular basis. I don't even drink and the cop literally made up 5 lies I saw through immediately.

I'm so lucky/unlucky?, I got pulled over literally 3 hours after a headlight on my car went out while at work and on my way home late at night about 15 years ago, but not even a warning. I also had a cop follow me into my own parents driveway on the way home back in HS from a shift late at night because I "rolled" through a stop-sign with literally no traffic at 1 AM and got asked if I had been drinking. Picture a Hollywood Video uniform in 1998 and you'll know how absurd that question is.

• Like 1

Was anyone actually defending Pacman?  I said, that I don't think you should get arrested for pushing someone and/or poking them in the eye.  I stand by that.  Honestly, if we were to arrest every dude who pushes someone, everyone I know would be a criminal.  All the stuff after that, which I would never defend, seems to all be a result of him being arrested for pushing someone and/or poking him in the eye.

1 minute ago, Kuetsar said:

Reading  elsewhere(Deadspin I think), that the felony they used for the spitting is mainly for urine and feces throwing so it might not hold up. Doesn't make the spitting any less disgusting. . .

Spitting became OK to use under most of those felony statues during the height of the AIDS scare, when some people were absolutely certain that gross homos were going to give them AIDS that way.

22 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Spitting on someone is vile and is worthy of a 5-alarm beatdown in my book.  I wouldn't convict anyone if that was the criteria.

Dittos.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

Was anyone actually defending Pacman?  I said, that I don't think you should get arrested for pushing someone and/or poking them in the eye.  I stand by that.  Honestly, if we were to arrest every dude who pushes someone, everyone I know would be a criminal.  All the stuff after that, which I would never defend, seems to all be a result of him being arrested for pushing someone and/or poking him in the eye.

I wasn't really trying to single you out, I was trying to just be general about it in response to to the guy above. Sorry, if it seemed that way. And, those actions are generally considered an attack regardless and are illegal no matter the context, it just usually wouldn't get this far.

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

I wasn't really trying to single you out, I was trying to just be general about it in response to to the guy above. Sorry, if it seemed that way. And, those actions are generally considered an attack regardless and are illegal no matter the context, it just usually wouldn't get this far.

I am perhaps overly critical of reports of someone being arrested for something that seems minor.  I have lived in places that are overpoliced and have seen people get arrested for essentially nothing.  A few things that will always catch my eye are people being arrested for resisting arrest or the only "crime" someone is charged with can only be committed because they were being arrested.  Pacman Jones is accused of pushing and poking a person in the eye, and presumably that is why he was being arrested.  I've never heard of anyone being arrested for pushing someone or poking them in the eye.  I don't know anyone who would consider either of those things crimes.  The things that are considered crimes in this story all happened as a result of Pacman Jones being arrested for doing something that no one should be arrested for in the first place.  Should he have kicked and/or headbutted a police officer? No, but they probably shouldn't have been arresting him.  He would have never even met the nurse, who he allegedly spat on if he wasn't arrested.  I think the two biggest examples of stories like this are the Adrian Peterson one from a few years back, and the LeSean McCoy one from last year.  Peterson was in a bar and got arrested for resisting arrest.  It turns out he was being arrested, because a off duty cop jumped on his back and AP through his ass on the ground.  Last year McCoy was accused of beating up a couple cops, which did happen, but after an investigation it was pretty clear that they had it coming.  My point is, this story sounds super fishy to me and any time someone gets arrested for essentially nothing red flags go up in my mind.

That's all logical, but I guess we'll wait until more of it comes out or what comes of it. I still don't know why he'd randomly poke someone in the eye, unless it was incidental.

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

That's all logical, but I guess we'll wait until more of it comes out or what comes of it. I still don't know why he'd randomly poke someone in the eye, unless it was incidental.

That is another part of it.  We've seen Pacman Jones' resumé, if he was trying to hurt that guy I'm pretty sure he would have left with more than a poked eye.  Remember, Pacman was the dude who beat up the private security guard who was hired to keep him out of trouble. I'm not sure what happened, I am sure that the story makes me want to ask a bunch of follow up questions.

People are defending poking people in the eye like its no big deal? The only people I can think of who could poke people in the eye without repercussions are the Three Stooges.

• Like 2

I also chuckle at the idea that everyone has pushed someone. I am 33 and I've never pushed or poked anyone in the eye as an adult, unless it was a friend and it was a friendly push. Maybe on the playground when was 12. I'd call the police in a heartbeat if an overly angry person was pushing me and poking me in the eye, what they did when they got there would be their business.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sabremike said:

People are defending poking people in the eye like its no big deal? The only people I can think of who could poke people in the eye without repercussions are the Three Stooges.

I made this exact joke to my coworker.  I followed it up with, "poking a man in the eye is a short stop towards hatred, why do you think people hated Rowdy Roddy Piper for so long?"  I still don't think you should get arrested for it.  I'm not defending any of these actions, I'm just skeptical that someone should go to jail for it.  Pushing a dude is generally something you do when you want someone to understand that they don't want a problem with you.  I know if I make the decision to push you instead of punch you it is because fighting you wouldn't be fair...to you.  I'm pretty strong, I've grappled on and off for years, and spent my teenage years fighting in the street.  I'm pretty good in a fight, but I'm 35 and pretty much done fighting.  Hopefully me pushing you will make you understand that I'm stronger than you in a way that you can't handle, and you walk away.  

I bet I could take you...on a relaxing trip through dairy farm country, that's what I call fighting, we country-bred hicks are a gentlemenly sort, no need to sully our clothes with fisticuffs when a simple gesture of kindness and some wine will do. Then Pacman Jones would attack both of us for no apparent reason as we wondered why he was in Northern Rural Wisconsin.

• Like 1