DVDVR Message Board

Kevin Ferguson, aka Kimbo Slice, Dead at 42 Due to Apparent Heart Attack

Niners Fan in CT

If Bellator, Viacom, and Scott Coker don't change their policy on using these dudes who don't belong anywhere near a cage, they will be a world of trouble that I don't think any major promotion in combat sports has ever been in.

It's sad and tragic it may take something like this for it to happen.

He was a legend to me and my high school friends watching his backyard fights that we downloaded from Kazaa. I think I may have even done a report on him for school. Rest in power Ferg. 

• Like 1

I first heard about him in the observer when someone wrote a letter saying UFC should sign him after his Gannon fight. He had way more charisma than Roman or any of the new era could wish to have. Seemed like a good dude who would be cool to just hang out with at a BBQ and then he'd knock some random dude into a satellite dish if they started shit. RIP.

• Like 1

Yeah that's exactly how I was introduced to Kimbo as well through the street fighting videos. Some friends and I would gather around seems like forever now. Kimbo always seemed like a good dude. 

Bellator should burn for that Kimbo vs. Dada fight.  Neither man belonged in there.

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Bellator should burn for that Kimbo vs. Dada fight.  Neither man belonged in there.

As I said in the "...Courtroom Chaos" thread, if there is any validity to the doctoring of medicals in the Zach Light lawsuit, heads are going to roll in a big way.

While I would agree that Bellator has shown little care of their fighters by going to places with the softest regulations, I don't know I would blame that fight or Bellator for his death.  Hell if that was true Dada 5000 would have died 3 months ago.    

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

While I would agree that Bellator has shown little care of their fighters by going to places with the softest regulations, I don't know I would blame that fight or Bellator for his death.  Hell if that was true Dada 5000 would have died 3 months ago.    

Well, technically, he did "die" twice in the actual fight according to Mr. Harris himself.

In addition, there are big signs pointing to gross neglience on the part of Bellator. How many major fighters, who have no connection really to pro wrestling, drop dead at 42?

Just now, Mistah Na1m4rk said:

When someone fairly young dies of heart failure, my reflexive response is, "Cocaine is a helluva drug."

There was a rumor that after the Shamrock fight, that his heart was only working at 60% capacity. If there were forged medicals in Texas for the Dada 5000 fight, I wonder if the Ferguson family can take legal action especially since they booked him for another fight right after he got suspended in Texas. 

According to the Sun Sentinel, Kimbo was admitted to facility in Margate, FL for abdominal pain on June 3. While he was in intensive care, it was found that he had congestive heart failure and a liver mass. He needed a heart transplant. He was suppose to be transported to Cleveland, but passed away before that could happen.

Also, Kimbo had no history of drug use.

I've lost track of how many people I personally know that have died or almost died from ignoring the symptoms of CHF. It's one of those illnesses where you can write it off as fatigue or weight gain or a number of other things until it's too late. 

6 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I've lost track of how many people I personally know that have died or almost died from ignoring the symptoms of CHF. It's one of those illnesses where you can write it off as fatigue or weight gain or a number of other things until it's too late. 

According to @TalkMMA, he hasn't been in good shape at all for a year. That would explain how he looked even horrible in the Shamrock fight.

Crazy how a major MMA star was in intensive care for three days and no one knew until he died.