DVDVR Message Board

PAYBACK 2016

RIPPA

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

I winced all the way through the old guy recovering from prostate surgery putting the old guy recovering from a bender in a sharpshooter. 

Also, if they're going to rehash Montreal again, I better at least get Lil Naitch in one of Flair's robes getting his ass handed to him by Natty - Jim Ross be damned. 

I was just impressed that 58 year old, just recovered from prostate cancer Bret Hart can put 67 year old Ric Flair into a better looking sharpshooter than anyone else on the roster can do.

That hour of Zayn/Owens through the end of Cesaro/Miz was so good and chaotic.  Poor Jericho/Ambrose looked like they were moving at quarter speed after all that.

I finally got my internet back on, and watched the main event before reading any spoilers. I turned it off after the second horrible "ending" that didn't even look close to a low blow.

Is there a kayfabe reason why the tag match was stopped without a winner?  He was the legal man, so he theoretically he should have been counted out.  Sami lost the NXT Championship due to a ref stoppage, so there's precedent.

52 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Is there a kayfabe reason why the tag match was stopped without a winner?  He was the legal man, so he theoretically he should have been counted out.  Sami lost the NXT Championship due to a ref stoppage, so there's precedent.

KO was supposed to win the Championship and the ref stoppage was the booked finish.

The tag match - by all accounts - was suppose to have Enzo/Cass win

And there precedent for just throwing the match out. See Bryan/Orton

• Like 1

The Roman/AJ match made me go back and watch Abyss/AJ from Lockdown 2005 on Youtube. AJ does the flying forearm out of the crowd in that match which I don't think he can replicate in WWE given the arena setup and the general liability of leaping over a bunch of fans BUT it would be fucking sweet if he worked out something similar.

That's a hell of a damn match even on rewatch a decade later.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Hogan... I mean, Rip... would get along famously with the Kool-Aid man.  They're both orange.

wut

I really enjoyed this show. Other than the McMahon stuff all around, this was so much better than, say, WrestleMania.

11 hours ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Well, I hope he removes that from his arsenal, and hopefully Vince doesn't ban all moves using the ropes.    

Won't ban the moves, but Vince is going to ban use of the word "ropes."  That's a wrestling term.  From now on, the announcers are going to be referring to "WWE Universe boundaries".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Charlie M. said:

The Roman/AJ match made me go back and watch Abyss/AJ from Lockdown 2005 on Youtube. AJ does the flying forearm out of the crowd in that match which I don't think he can replicate in WWE given the arena setup and the general liability of leaping over a bunch of fans BUT it would be fucking sweet if he worked out something similar.

That's a hell of a damn match even on rewatch a decade later.

AJ Styles was phenomenal in 2005 with the Ultimate X PPV match between him/Chris Sabin/Petey Williams at Final Resolution, the two Christopher Daniels matches at Against All Odds and Bound for Glory, the aforementioned Abyss Lockdown match, the classic Unbreakable Triple Threat match with Samoa Joe/Christopher Daniels and the two Samoa Joe matches at Sacrifice and Turning Point. TNA's best ever year.

Two great matches at Payback in Roman Reigns vs. AJ Styles and Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn. I had a feeling when Reigns vs. Styles was announced, Styles was going to get the best out of Reigns and he sure did. Holy shit at the Phenomenal Forearm from the outside through the announcers table. Even with the shenanigans, I’d say this is a MOTY candidate. The only memorable singles matches of Reigns are this one, vs. Daniel Bryan at Fastlane 2015 and Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania XXXI. Owens vs. Zayn delivered as these matches do, least the ones I’ve seen. Relieved Enzo Amore is okay as that was fucking nasty and a reminder what can go wrong inside the ring.

On 5/2/2016 at 5:29 AM, RIPPA said:

This is how I know Ryback/Kalisto was my MOTN

Meltzer called it "ok" and bitched that Ryback was out of position on Kalisto's dive

One of the days I would like to watch the wrestling in his reality

Miracles or miracles - Dave actually corrected himself

He said he went back and watched the match and acknowledged that the dive was Kalisto's fault and not Ryback's

Of course part of me wonders if he is playing nice so he can get Ryback as a source when he leaves WWE