DVDVR Message Board

Raw is McMahonaMania 2-22-16

MGFanJay

You'd think Saxton would have stepped in a bit closer to cover a little more.

You would think folks would learn by now that they are being filmed from everywhere nowadays

Shit, you would think Roman would have known how to carry his own blade. The name on the marquee is professional wrestling, after all. Oh, wait... not anymore, nevermind.

I think a guy people are sleeping on when it comes to who could really be "the man" is Seth Rollins. Not the most popular guy around here for some reason, but he's got a good look and definitely knows the WWE main event style. He also stands up for himself and I doubt he'd let himself get written into bad spots like Roman. If he can fully recover from his knee injury, that's probably the best thing that could've happened to him. He'll come back red hot as a face with a lot of ready-made feuds and lots of compatible talent coming up the pipeline.

Ambrose could be used as a stop gap top guy for a while it seems, crowds are solidly behind him and he can be a great promo guy. NXT is full of people with potential to be main eventers if given a fair chance, Balor, Corbin, Big Cass, Jordan, Gable, Nakamura, Sami are all guys who could easily be main eventers in the future, Crews has a chance if he can find a personality and Enzo could too if they book him right (which we know most likely won't happen but the guy has more charisma than anyone to come along since probably Cena). Joe could come in an be a main eventer/upper mid carder at any time also.

EDIT - and they're sitting on piles and piles of money in Bayley if they used her correctly when she is called up, which like Enzo is most likely not going to happen.

Ya know they could totally get away with the Four Horsewomen being the faces of the company for the 2016-17 season while they try and build up the next big babyface.

I don't buy the merch thing. If Reigns is really a top merchandise seller (do we even know that for sure?) I think it's more by default than anything. If the company pushes you as the top babyface, kids are going to like you and you're going to sell a ton of merchandise. That's just the way it works. They're going to buy more Reigns shirts than Ziggler shirts because Reigns is presented as one of the most important guys in the company.

• Like 1

Adding to that, there is historical precedent that a heel can sell t-shirts at a high volume. Or, at the very least, you do not have to be a goody little two shoes to move t-shirts. I would understand why the wrestler wouldn't want to lose big money off of merchandise, but how much of WWE's bottom line comes from merchandise? Should that really be in the way of making a more presentable TV show?

I think a guy people are sleeping on when it comes to who could really be "the man" is Seth Rollins. Not the most popular guy around here for some reason, but he's got a good look and definitely knows the WWE main event style. He also stands up for himself and I doubt he'd let himself get written into bad spots like Roman. If he can fully recover from his knee injury, that's probably the best thing that could've happened to him. He'll come back red hot as a face with a lot of ready-made feuds and lots of compatible talent coming up the pipeline.

He also likes sending dick pics and dating Neo-Nazis.  That ain't gonna play with Snickers and Coca-Cola.

Most of all, Rollins is clearly HHH's guy at this point. I won't be shocked if they ditch Roman for Rollins at the top, assuming HHH has enough stroke to make it happen. 

Watch him come back and get cast as the heel against Roman at Summerslam in the booking, except that much like at WM, he'll be the returning conquering hero to the crowd. 

I would like to see Rollins as a babyface wherever he's positioned on the card. Babyface Rollins >>>> babyface Reigns. I wonder how different (better?) things would've been had they turned Roman instead of Rollins. I mean, they would've had Roman talking on the mic for 20 minutes with Trips for a while, but I think it could've worked a heckuva lot better than what we got. Have The Authority do the talking for him and Rollins can wrestle like he wants and it would actually suit his character.

Reigns needs a heel turn and a great-talking manager (kinda like Heyman does for Lesnar). Turn Reigns heel, have him fight face Brock, who everyone wants to cheer for anyway. Put Ambrose in the match with HHH and do the ol' plucky babyface fights the corporate odds thing and have him win the title at Wrestlemania. Then Ambrose and Reigns can square off for the title. Easy peasy.

Heyman would be the best manager for, well, anyone, but if you keep him with Lesnar, who would be good for Reigns? The only name that keeps flashing into my mind would be a heel Foley, back to extract his revenge on Paul E. for ruining wrestling and making him lose 2,000 teeth in the process by having to go "hardcore."

OR, Heyman backstabs Brock, goes with Reigns, and Austin steps in as Brock's manager, at least temporarily.

Goddamn, I love to fantasy book. Heck with all y'all if y'all don't like it. Haters gotta hate, etc.

First, I'm not sure we can unequivocally say that Heyman is the best manager for anyone considering that anyone they've put him with aside from Brock has ended up less over than they were before. Second, I have no doubt in my mind that turning Reigns heel and putting him with Heyman would only serve to get a bizarre Cena-esque mixed reaction, with smarks cheering because they like Heyman and because they felt like they were in control of the turn. 

• Like 1

Kids influence the sales and are the majority of them, and despite how "cool" heels are, the fact still remains that most kids don't buy heel merch, period.  They cheer the good guys and boo the bad guys, and the only bad guy stuff they'd want is maybe their figure so that their John Cena figure can overcome the odds.

So yeah, no reason to ever, ever, EVER turn John Cena.

When the decisions on how your narrative goes are based purely on whether you'll still be able to sell merch to children, well congrats, you are making children's programming and no reasonable adult should be watching.

• Like 1

Seth doesn't seem like the best fit for the charitable obligations they have for their #1 babyface...

Cena will still be around for a while regardless, but has Seth said something like "I hate kids with cancer" that I missed?

He also likes sending dick pics and dating Neo-Nazis.  That ain't gonna play with Snickers and Coca-Cola.

Hasn't Orton been associated with stupid shit like that for a good chunk of his career? Provided these aren't recurring/ongoing things, I don't see why this would be an issue.

Kids influence the sales and are the majority of them, and despite how "cool" heels are, the fact still remains that most kids don't buy heel merch, period.  They cheer the good guys and boo the bad guys, and the only bad guy stuff they'd want is maybe their figure so that their John Cena figure can overcome the odds.

When the decisions on how your narrative goes are based purely on whether you'll still be able to sell merch to children, well congrats, you are making children's programming and no reasonable adult should be watching.

When my decisions are based on maximizing profit and value to the shareholders, and children-aimed programming is what will do that, then yes, I will make children-based programming.    Besides, Saturday Morning Slam was fucking awesome.

They want to keep their adult audience, too, though. Nothing they do makes any sense. Market a show that's on past nine at night to kids? Have the focus of your shows being boardroom drama? As a nine-year-old, Jack Tunney showing up twice a year to levy executive decisions was more than enough for me. I can't imagine sitting through a thirty-minute gabfest about relationships which were fleshed out on TV back before I was alive here in 2016. 

Then, the one time they had a guy who could cross over and make hardcores and kids happy in Daniel Bryan, they screwed that pooch regardless of the injuries. They don't know what the fuck they're doing as far as marketing to kids.

I bet the people propping up their network aren't kids, though. They threw adult long-time fans a bone with NXT, and I'm willing to accept that, but I guess a lot of the other long-time adult fans aren't. They'll continue to run into this problem until they figure out how to run their shows efficiently. They should really make Smackdown! the fast-paced two-hour kids show and book RAW for hardcores. If hardcores like the show, they'll tell their friends and such. 

True. Maybe NXT is an example of how to book a show for a general audience. People doubt that it would work on USA, and I get that, but NXT is their only show that is universally loved.

It's pretty clear that RAW is a mess in part because too many people want it to serve too many different objectives, though. 

Of all the current guys they have I think from a skill set POV Zayn is the best option for a baby face ace. The one pretty big thing he has against him is da look which I'm sure Vince won't like. However, if Sami can get over on the main roster like he has every where else he's been then they may have to at least give him a few big matches to see how things go. Nakamura is a real interesting case as he's pretty much the most entertaining wrestler on the planet, but more than likely he'll have a major uphill battle to get to baby face ace status on the MR.

Balor has the look, the gimmick, the potential for merch sales, does the main event style well enough, but he's really freaking small. Plus his mic skills are poor so he's probably tops out at #3 maybe #2 baby face level. Guys like Jordan, Crews, and Cass are nowhere near ready, and of the bunch Jordan is the only one I could see breaking out. Gable is absolutely tremendous, but he's also about 5'8 so it would take a Bryan like crowd response to move him up the card. Honestly Bayley is right there with Zayn for best baby face skill set, and I think she's still getting better in ring and on the mic.

• Like 1

When my decisions are based on maximizing profit and value to the shareholders, and children-aimed programming is what will do that, then yes, I will make children-based programming.    Besides, Saturday Morning Slam was fucking awesome.

I'm not saying they're wrong, just realizing what it is they're producing. But I'm not sure they're maximizing profit for the shareholders when ratings are going down the shitter and their core audience is 35 - 45.  As someone else just posted, they're serving too many masters and going after too many different audiences and not doing a good job of any of it.

You'd think Saxton would have stepped in a bit closer to cover a little more.

You would think folks would learn by now that they are being filmed from everywhere nowadays

Shit, you would think Roman would have known how to carry his own blade. The name on the marquee is professional wrestling, after all. Oh, wait... not anymore, nevermind.

And it's not like he doesn't have places to stash the damn things. Christ, his ring gear looks like an Rob Liefeld cover from 1994...

• Like 5

To be fair, he didn't blade.  It was a blood pack--probably didn't carry it in case it got smashed during his match.

I just saw that .gif on Meltzer's site. What's next, a stunt granny? Wonder if they used ketchup?

Oh, and if Cena turns heel, it's bye-bye whatever live show revenue they get now. Cena moves tickets to kids, and thus, families. He's not turning heel unless WWE says "to hell with kids" and tries attitude again.