DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For March 30, 2016 (Taped 1/27)

RIPPA

Week  4

- Austin Aries def. Riddick Moss (possible dark match)

- American Alpha def. Cory Hollis and John Skylar 

- Baron Corbin def. A Jobber

- Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder def. Steve Cutler and Tucker Knight 

- Apollo Crews def. Alex Riley
- Post match: Elias Samson comes out with his guitar, singing to Apollo. They tease fighting, but Samson walks away.

- Samoa Joe def. Bull Dempsey 
- Post match: Joe won't let go of the choke on Bull. William Regal comes out with two Performance Center guys to break it up. Those two get laid out. Joe goes back to choking Bull out until Finn Balor makes the save. They brawler throughout the arena.

Man they are doing Crews no favors at all sticking him with those guys. He's already lost in the shuffle now he's working the shittiest guys on the roster.

Crews had a huge chance right from the jump. Everything was there for him. He just doesn't have a persona that clicks quite yet. If he had that part down, he'd probably already be on the main roster.

Crews gets better reactions that Riley and Elias combined. Riley and Elias (from the little I've seen of him) can promo. This might be the best thing for Crews to be put in a program with guys who can promo and not only that but whose promos feed into the other worker(s) involved. The worse thing WWE could do right now is put the title on Crews when he is luke warm and can barely shake the stick. The crowd will turn on him quick and NXT has been pretty good, thus far, in not having a Roman Reigns on the roster.

• 2 months later...

I have to start by saying that I wish Baron Corbin was champ for like a year. He was the best in his match tonight. They let him start yapping in the ring instead of having him be the brooding silent guy, and he immediately became wildly entertaining. Add that to his much improved ring-work, and they really should showcase him even over Samoa Joe, who is almost as awesome right now.

Also, that promo was vicious. LOL at telling Aries that after he gets beat, he needs to sit next to Virgil while hawking autographs. Fuuuuuck me, that was great. I really hope he wins at Takeover.

Everything else on this show was really enjoyable. Tag squashes with American Alpha and Dash & Dawson (as the chyron said), the Corbin squash, the Crews squash, and the Joe squash were all great. 

Dawson beating the shit out of dudes is fantastic, no shade meant toward Dash.

Crews looked fantastic during this squash. Then the Drifter came out and sang a terrible off-key song while the crowd jeered. That whole segment ruled. 

The video package for Bayley/Asuka was great, and Dana Brooke and Emma were the best thing about it talking about how Asuka was going to kick Bayley's ass.

Joe looked great once again. The post-match brawl was heated. Bálor is much better with the aggressiveness turned up. He's been very good post-Takeover London.

I am so ready for Takeover Dallas, even though it's on Friday night which really sucks but at least I have Saturday night for doing stuff not in the house.  

Enjoyed the random "God's Gift" Q.T. Marshall sighting.

A little uneasy with the Finn/Graves physical interaction considering the concussion history.

Corbin is clicking right now. Becoming more and more enjoyable to watch by the week, both in-ring and on the mic.

1 hour ago, El Dragon said:

Just... why? There's no upside in Riley. There is in Sampson.

Always been a big Riley fan, probably the only one I know but still, so I will always want to see him get used better. I think he's good in the ring, good look, good talker, always gets a reaction from the live crowds. Don't see much of anything in Samson.

28 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

Always been a big Riley fan, probably the only one I know but still, so I will always want to see him get used better. I think he's good in the ring, good look, good talker, always gets a reaction from the live crowds. Don't see much of anything in Samson.

Nobody saw much of anything in Corbin or Brooke either. Riley, on the other hand, has no good matches to his name by my memory, and is an out right sad twitter user to the point we actively makes the company he works for look worse. Unless he's doing a secret Curt Schilling gimmick, I don't see anything interesting about him as an act.

Dat American Alpha finisher... mmpphhhh.PracticalVictoriousCoati.gif

Graves has so much disdain for the Drifter, Samson might as well be a steampunk Irish lass.

Corbin dropping the Virgil bomb.

Love NXT's version of young boys.

I wonder if Graves will sell an injury during Takeover, would love to see him in a neck brace.

One small thing I loved during the program was implanted in the Bayley/Asuka highlight video was the testimonial from Emma and Dana about how bad ass Asuka was.  The other Horsewomen were all "Oh Bayley's the best" but the people who have actually faced both people were all about saying how devastating Brock-suka really is.  And I loved how Dana was all, "Dude we tried to psyche her out and stuff" and then they showed a clip of Asuka murdering them and then she's all "Didn't work."  Awesome piece of material where Dana and Emma are the enhancement talent and basically cut a promo for someone who can't.  It's a good bit of business.

Squashes were good today with all of them getting over different things and having nice little moments.  Corbin puts away a second person with the Deep Six, building it up further as a alternative finish (although I think its set up is too similar to the End of Days, almost like how Bossman would use the Bossman Slam and the Spinebuster).  American Alpha was a nice face squash with the return of Norman Smiley's Big Wiggle Slam as some nice jobber offense.  The Amplitude suplex was awesome with Jordan throwing that guy into the lights.  And the Revival can squash people all day and I would watch all of it.  Big Dot showed some good fire on the hot tag with a nice Fat Thez Press and a meaty clothesline before getting Shattered.

Apollo Crews had a match.  Yup.  Riley was okay.

I thought Finn and Bull showed some nice fire on Joe if the match was a little too fast for my liking.  He was working to put Joe over but did a solid enough job protecting his own heat.  Which don't matter cause he's gone from NXT but its a good skill to have.  I think he really found his grove late in his run.

From Bull's perspective I think it was a good time to pack up since they were not going to get behind him and I think getting the jobber stink on him too much would hurt him on the independent circuit.  I know he didn't ask for his release like Sami Callihan did but he should see similar levels of success.  He should be able to bounce from Bull Fit and his wrecking ball character depending on his audience and double his booking potential.  He'll also be able to present as being physically bigger on the independent scene which will help.  I think we may see him again on this stage though, he seems to have the right attitude.

CZW booked Sami Callihan vs. Bull Dumpsey for tomorrow's show by the way. I have no idea, why they would do such a thing, but it will certainly be interesting to see how that one will play out in a completely different environment.