DVDVR Message Board

A thread for PS+/PSN Deals

Tabe

I was thinking of picking up the Mass Effect Trilogy (never played them before) but I'm running out of space on my hard drive. I did snag Dragon Age, which I've also never played.

Upgrade your hard drive!  I did and am so glad I did.  If you do a backup/restore with an external USB drive, it takes a couple days for the whole process to complete but it's all incredibly easy.

Of course, if you've already upgraded or don't have the cash for another drive, then this advice is useless to you :)

• Like 1

Those on the fence with Mass Effect should take the plunge. $15 for ~60-70 hours of awesome gameplay is a heck of a deal.

Yeah, you are probably lowballing the gameplay time too.  My case would be that the Mass Effect series probably has the single best realized game universe in the history of gaming.  Over three games you meet and interact with an incredible number of memorable characters and by the end all of your heartstrings will be pulled in every direction.  It is as much game as you can ever ask for for $15.

I was thinking of picking up the Mass Effect Trilogy (never played them before) but I'm running out of space on my hard drive. I did snag Dragon Age, which I've also never played.

Upgrade your hard drive!  I did and am so glad I did.  If you do a backup/restore with an external USB drive, it takes a couple days for the whole process to complete but it's all incredibly easy.

Of course, if you've already upgraded or don't have the cash for another drive, then this advice is useless to you :)

I just got a new (well, used) 250GB PS3 back in August last year after my old fatty 40GB finally died.  Really, the only reason I got another PS3 instead of a PS4 was for GTAV.  At this point, I'm not gonna put any money towards a PS3 HD, if anything it would be more better saved towards a PS4.  I also really don't want to have to redownload everything.  That was a huge PITA before.

I just got a new (well, used) 250GB PS3 back in August last year after my old fatty 40GB finally died.  Really, the only reason I got another PS3 instead of a PS4 was for GTAV.  At this point, I'm not gonna put any money towards a PS3 HD, if anything it would be more better saved towards a PS4.  I also really don't want to have to redownload everything.  That was a huge PITA before.

You don't have to redownload anything.  Back up the system to an external USB, swap hard drives, restore from external USB.  No redownloading necessary.

My only regret is that I didn't hold out for the PS4.  What I *should* have done is bought a 1.5 TB drive, bought a PS4, put the 1.5 in there, and taken the 500 from the PS4 and put it in the PS3.  I didn't do that though :)  Now I've got 500 in each system.

You don't have to redownload anything.  Back up the system to an external USB, swap hard drives, restore from external USB.  No redownloading necessary.

My only regret is that I didn't hold out for the PS4.  What I *should* have done is bought a 1.5 TB drive, bought a PS4, put the 1.5 in there, and taken the 500 from the PS4 and put it in the PS3.  I didn't do that though :)  Now I've got 500 in each system.

Buying that 1.5 TB drive for my PS4 was a smart move, and I encourage it for anyone who buys a PS4. The installation process is A LOT less time consuming only installing the firmware as opposed to backing up and moving to new drive. Still with next gen games you will be glad to have the extra space once they start major flash sales along with the two PS+ games every month.

This week's update for the US:

Free

- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time - Never played a Sly Cooper game myself but have heard this is good.  I'll try it at least

Discounts

- YEAH BABY, discounts on Foosball 2012!!!!!  WHOOOOOOOOOO!  And an endless runner game or something.  Possibly the worst week of discounts ever excluding weeks with no actual discounts.

Also a bunch of discounts for the E3 Sale, some really good stuff here:

Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (PS3)   $19.59
Battlefield 4 (PS3)   $24.49
Battlefield 4 (PS4)   $48.59
Contrast (PS3)   $7.34
Contrast (PS4)   $7.34
Diablo III (PS3)   $23.99
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn   $12.24
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Collector’s Edition (PS3)   $22.04
Just Dance 2014 (PS3)   $19.59
Killzone: Mercenary (PS Vita)   $17.49
Luftrausers (PS Vita)   $4.89
Luftrausers (PS3)   $4.89
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS3)   $12.59
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4)   $18.89
Need For Speed: Rivals (PS3)   $29.39
Need For Speed: Rivals (PS4) $48.59
Outlast (PS4) $9.79
Saints Row IV (PS3) $13.49
The Walking Dead: Season Two – Season Pass $9.79
The Wolf Among Us – Season Pass   $9.79
MLB 13 The Show (PS3)   $10.00
NASCAR ’14 (PS3)   $20.99
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 (PS3)   $17.99

Why is the Sly Cooper download so massive? The PS Store screen says 18.9GB. I thought it was a typo. Download screen says 16GB, though. Guess I'll be skipping this one...

That Sly Cooper download size MAY include both the PS3 and Vita downloads, since unless you cancel out it tries to download both. (I bought the PS3 version on disc, the Vita version was big enough that I had to delete it as soon as I beat it).

Diablo 3 is calling me. Part of me looks at my masochistic relationship with Marvel Heroes Online and says YOU DO NOT NEED ANOTHER CLICKFEST. Part of me says "wait for the PS4 version." And part of me says "If you wait til next week when the price doubles again, you'll be sorry."

That Sly Cooper download size MAY include both the PS3 and Vita downloads, since unless you cancel out it tries to download both. (I bought the PS3 version on disc, the Vita version was big enough that I had to delete it as soon as I beat it).

Diablo 3 is calling me. Part of me looks at my masochistic relationship with Marvel Heroes Online and says YOU DO NOT NEED ANOTHER CLICKFEST. Part of me says "wait for the PS4 version." And part of me says "If you wait til next week when the price doubles again, you'll be sorry."

Diablo 3 is $20 at Beat Buy.

The three AAA Vita games that had been up for like 16 months (Uncharted, Wipeout and Gravity Rush) will be vanishing next week. At this point, since there were no E3 titles announced, I guess they aren't going to do long term titles anymore which makes me sad. I hope we at least get a couple of short term freebies on par with those (Sly Cooper isn't on the same level, IMO)

The three AAA Vita games that had been up for like 16 months (Uncharted, Wipeout and Gravity Rush) will be vanishing next week. At this point, since there were no E3 titles announced, I guess they aren't going to do long term titles anymore which makes me sad. I hope we at least get a couple of short term freebies on par with those (Sly Cooper isn't on the same level, IMO)

They announced several weeks ago that they would no longer have long-term titles for PS+ subscribers.  Each system gets 2 games on the first of each month and then those are gone at the end of the month.

This week's PS+ update for the US:

Free

- Terraria (Vita) - some kind of crafting adventure game.  I dunno, I don't have a Vita ;)

Discounts

- lots of discounts this week, including just about all of EA's sports games, Flower, and several others.

They announced several weeks ago that they would no longer have long-term titles for PS+ subscribers.  Each system gets 2 games on the first of each month and then those are gone at the end of the month.

I remember the first of month announcement, missed the no full year titles part. Since those were reliably the biggest freebies of the year I hope it leads to an uptick in the quality of lead titles.