DVDVR Message Board

Dolfan in NYC

You'd have problems scheduling matinee schools too if you were Wichita and those matinee schools were scared to death of facing you. You seriously don't think they WANT to play Kansas, K-State et al? They're a scheduler's worst nightmare: a mid-major with an appetite for destruction.

Why stay in Kansas? Haven't they built up enough of a profile to face teams like Gonzaga, Wisconsin or Indiana? There are a ton of teams like that. Florida would play them, etc. etc.

And shortly after I posted that, Dayton kinda falls apart from exhaustion and Oklahoma slams the door.

Yeah they appeared to totally hit a wall midway though that second half there. Without that play-in game, I think they could've done some damage in this tourny but I guess the theory was "They get to play home games but it's gonna be three instead of two."

I think West Virginia has a shot against Kentucky- they got enough bodies to keep fouling and frustrating. 

I don't see it happening myself.  The Mountaineers have to shot just like they did in 2010 which was almost perfect   While Devin Williams is a beast with no fear, Kentucky has about 3 of those guys on the team

But I love the fact that we are seeing it.   After an entire week of whining and conspiracy theories from DC sports radio about Maryland it is good to see them go down.  Prefer it without Trimble getting a concussion but will take it   

As a UK fan, I can absolutely see WVU beating them. They play very physical (Cincinnati on roids) and force you into making bad decisions. The twins have been known to have terrible ball-handling games (think against Louisville). Huggins also has Cal's number, going 8-2. While UK has succeeded against those types of teams lately, a pressure team with a deep bench and a coach who knows how to zone is still their worst matchup.

I'm not one of those "crazy" Kentucky fans you hear about, I'm pretty rational. We don't all live and die by the team.

I don't think WVU will win but it should be the best game of the Sweet Sixteen. I'm not a fan of the overly physical style but it is a nice change of pace and the ridiculous pressure and doubles WVU brought today was a blast to watch. But how in the hell was there no call on that Adrian shoulder block/screen thrown on Trimble?

Gonzaga looked pretty good today. They should eat up UCLA, don't you think Tabe?

Gonzaga beat the holy hell out of UCLA earlier this season at Pauley Pavilion. Based on that, they should be able to handle them again. Based on them being Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament, it's more of a toss up.

Princeton women go 30-0. They win every game but one by double digits. Their RPI is 15. Sagarin rating is 7.

They get... An 8 seed!!! WTF? If they beat Green Bay, they will play number one Maryland in College Park!

The NCAA is the worst!!!

And as expected, down goes Princeton.  

I think maybe the worst part of Women's College BB is that there are always the same teams at the top, some variation of Maryland, UConn, Tennessee, Notre Dame, and Stanford.  It's so fucking boring, god.  

Princeton women go 30-0. They win every game but one by double digits. Their RPI is 15. Sagarin rating is 7.

They get... An 8 seed!!! WTF? If they beat Green Bay, they will play number one Maryland in College Park!

The NCAA is the worst!!!

And as expected, down goes Princeton.  

I think maybe the worst part of Women's College BB is that there are always the same teams at the top, some variation of Maryland, UConn, Tennessee, Notre Dame, and Stanford.  It's so fucking boring, god.  

The talent disparity in women's college basketball is insane. There are plenty of great players but getting a string of great players together for a run if you're not one of the big schools is insanely difficult.

That was really clear with Maryland/Princeton. It was actually a really tight game in the first half and then over in the blink of the eye in the second. The athleticism and talent gap was insane. And then consider that the gap between Princeton and some Ivy team like Brown is just as infinite.

It's a shame because women's college basketball is a REALLY great sport. I love women's hoops and wish I could watch more of it. I explain it like this: Women's college basketball is the best form of the sport most people can actually play. I don't know anyone who can dunk a basketball, save for my one friend who is 6'6" and can do it like 30 percent of the time one-handed in a layup line. But he never could do that in a game. It's all about passing, shooting, dribbling and other things like that, but at an infinitely high level.

But, yes, the saaaaame teams running the show makes it so boring.

My buddy says the same thing about women's golf and women's tennis. If you're a weekend hacker, watch the ladies play - that's the kind of thing to aspire for. You're not going to be bombing 350 off the tee and hitting your 7-iron 210, so watch how the women play.

That said, I generally find women's basketball tough to watch. Outside of the top couple teams, the talent level just isn't that good and the conditioning on nearly all teams is just terrible.

My buddy says the same thing about women's golf and women's tennis. If you're a weekend hacker, watch the ladies play - that's the kind of thing to aspire for. You're not going to be bombing 350 off the tee and hitting your 7-iron 210, so watch how the women play.

That said, I generally find women's basketball tough to watch. Outside of the top couple teams, the talent level just isn't that good and the conditioning on nearly all teams is just terrible.

Not to get off topic here, but ladies tennis is an interesting thing, because it is a much better watch in person because your eye can consistently follow the ball (the men hit everything so fast you feel behind the point all the time). That being said, the vast majority of women, especially high ranking women, just attempt to bludgeon their opponent. One of the great things about tennis is the creativity that the game affords even the most basic players and the strategy of setting up shots two or three shots in advance. Many of the women now have been coached to hit every shot as flat and hard as possible, because by doing so you will never lose to the majority of the tour, who are 5 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter. It's probably strategically superior, but it makes for boring tennis. 

But good fundamentals.

futurama.jpg

• Like 1

Gonzaga's women's team is really good. They're always pulling upsets and making it further than their seed line. They're sort of like what the men's team was when they first broke through before they became a team constantly getting bounced earlier than thought.

On that note, I do want Gonzaga to finally get in the Final Four just so everyone will shut up about them being overrated already.

this year is probably gonna be the Elite 8 version of the year Butler made a run... and still lost to Duke anyways.

Also, regarding Princeton's seed. Being an 8 is pretty tough, but that tournament gave Vermont an 8 and 9 in back to back years where Vermont went undefeated both times. So Vermont went 57-0 in the regular season and lost in the first round both times.

From what I can tell in the bracketing, there's probably a bunch of teams that could be 4s or 8s in the tourney.

Speaking of tourneys with odd logistics.. Colorado lost a game last night at a Rec Center at Seattle U since Colorado chose to play on the road (paid for!) over hosting a CBI game (not paid for!). The CBI final 4 is Vermont, Loyola-Chicago, Louisiana-Monroe and Seattle U.

Tell me about it. I don't even bother watching the UConn women anymore. When someone who went TO STORRS and still lives in Connecticut and is a big fan of basketball can't be bothered to give a crap... something is wrong.

I'm amused when ridiculous-sounding UConn womens props appear on ESPN's streak game, causing people to pick "any other result", then UConn actually covers a "win by 30" or "win by 50" spread and the majority of pickers lose.

But yeah, there's a bit of a monopoly in women's college basketball and no real reason for talented players to go to other schools to break the monopoly.

How many schools of the D1 schools do you think still schedule women's games as a prelim to men's games?

But at least the women's 30 second shot clock is gonna provide precedent if the NCAA moves from 35 seconds to 30 seconds

College basketball can be insane.  Miami last night looked dead in the water against Richmond in the NIT Quarters.  28 points total with 12 minutes to go in the game, and somehow, they storm back to win.  

Damn it, they should've been in the Big Dance. 

tumblr_m24flnLzsx1qbhyqgo1_400.gif

• Like 1

your final 4 for the NIT: 

Temple v. Miami

Old Dominion v. Stanford

Old Dominion won on a long three tonight.

For the sake of stats.. Temple is in their first NIT final four since 2002. Miami is in their first NIT final four. Old Dominion's first since 2006. Stanford 2012.

Big schools dominating the NIT this year.