DVDVR Message Board

2014 WORLD CUP THREAD

RIPPA

So sad we won't be facing Belgium, but there just never seemed to be a real possibility for them today. But they've got a very young squad, so they'll definitely be back for more in four years.

Make that two. For international competitions, the EUROs aren´t that far away from the World Cup when it comes to importance. Belgium might play a good part in France 2016.

Absolutely, aside from Van Buyten, who's not that great anyway, this team will only get better the next couple of years. If they don't go all Belgian on us and disintegrate over petty differences, they'll be a powerhouse for the next couple of years.

I can't quite agree with you on the Euros vs the World Cup. While the competition is almost as heavy at the Euros, probably even tougher in the group stage, from our national perspective the Euros are just a consolation prize. Objectively it's not, but it feels that way to me.

I´d say the World Cup is bigger than EUROs, I just think the difference isn´t that big. It might be different in other nations, though. The Dutch have already won the EURO once, but never the World Cup despite the amazing squads they had and despite being very close on numerous occasions, so I guess the elusive World Cup seems bigger than the continental competition.
Germany has won both, but it has been a while and with a really good generation of players we are really longing for either, World Cup or EURO - championship. I tend to say the same goes for France and Italy nowadays, their wishes for a great performance grows every two, not every four years. The English seem to be longing for making the semis or finals again after what feels like an enternity, and they aswell don´t seem to distinguish between World Cup or European Championship.

It is different in other confederations, though. Brazil and Argentina don´t care too much for their continental competition, they often even send reserve squads to it. No idea how Uruguay celebrated their tournament win a few years ago, so they might be different since they had quite the spell of horrible performances compared to their rich history in world football.
CONCACAF and the African teams seem to value the World Cup heads and shoulders above their continental competitions and qualifying and winning matches there seems way more meaningful than winning the Gold Cup or the African Cup. It generally seems FIFA competitions are held in high regard in CONCACAF, I remember that the US making the Confed Cup Final in 2009 was a huge deal, judging from the reactions of US soccer fans on DVDR.
For comparison, Germany has been in the Confed Cup twice, and on both occasions I felt not that thrilled by the tournament, it seemed like some kind of stuff clubs do in summer, but with national teams.

In conclusion I´d say, that simply for the fact, that the "whole world" competes in the WC I prefer it over the EURO competitions and I think it´s safe to say it has higher prestige, but as I said, the EURO is really close from my POV. It´s not like, let´s say, the difference between EURO League and Champion´s League on European club level.

• Like 1

Sound analysis. To be fair, during the Euros our nation also suffers from orange fever, but the World Cup is the one that's being talked about for years to come. We've got a strange relationship with the Euros, on the one hand it's the one we did win before, yet we generally seem to do a lot better at the World Cup. The Euros are 1988, any other tourney rarely gets mentioned anymore.

Now when it comes the World Cup, the world knows how badly we want it to win it, just once. It's an ugly trophy, but we need it. The World Cup is our cruel mistress, she's given us so much, allowed us to shine, gave us hope and pride, made us believe we could the be the greatest. And just as we're about to climax, she kicks us in the nuts and runs off with another country. You could be a 16-year-old who's only seen the horrible 2010 final, but you'll still feel like this. We feel like we've earned one and but fate just won't let it happen.

Obviously, we don't feel that way about the Euros. I wouldn't go as far as the Europa League-Champions League comparison, because the Europa League has basically been the Football League of European competitions. I'd say it's closer to the old UEFA Cup vs Europa Cup in the way we see them.

I had a dream last night that David Luiz scored an amazing goal in the semi final. He picked up the ball on the left wing made a big run, ended up cutting through three guys, then deked out Neuer one on one and scored a goal into the bottom left corner.

Naturally I view this more as a nightmare then a herald of glorious prophecy.

Interesting insight, thanks. I was thinking along those lines.

Neymar gave a recorded video message, genuine and emotional. 
This whole World Cup feels more like a movie than a sporting event, albeit it turned has a tragic note with the hero sidelined.
The Brazilians will be unified and incredibly strong on Tuesday and motivated to the bone, the fans will be emotionalized, even more than before. It´s going to be tense match.

Guest The Magnificent 7

The Euros are a massively important / prestigious tournament.  I've been to both the WC and EC.  I had an opportunity to go to Brazil for this WC, but preferred to save my cash (and wisely didn't push my luck with the wife who probably would have been pissed if I went to the WC so closely to Poland '12) for France '16.  The WC is bigger, but the gulf is not UEFA Cup vs. CL.  That's just my perspective, though. 

I'm pulling for a Brazil v. Argentina final, but would be happy with the Germans winning it also. 

The Euros are a massively important / prestigious tournament.  I've been to both the WC and EC.  I had an opportunity to go to Brazil for this WC, but preferred to save my cash (and wisely didn't push my luck with the wife who probably would have been pissed if I went to the WC so closely to Poland '12) for France '16.  The WC is bigger, but the gulf is not UEFA Cup vs. CL.  That's just my perspective, though. 

Objectively, you're absolutely right. The UEFA Cup used to be the tourney without the best teams, whereas the Euros is a tourney of the world's best teams without Brazil and Argentina. I know the competition is at the same level.

But that's just not how it feels to us.

Anyway, the semis. On paper, Germany should be able to outplay these Brazilians the entire game. But in Brazil? I honestly don't know. Brazil will probably sneak by them somehow.

Argentina haven't looked that impressive either, but there's Messi. If we will have as much trouble finding the net as we have these last two matches, we'll be out for sure. I really don't want to, but I'm picking Argentina, Van Gaal's luck has to run out sometime.

Now the rumors are going around that Neymar COULD play in the final.

As likely as Jozy playing against Belgium was. 

Hoping, at least, that other teams will have to prepare for the possibility of his playing. 

I think the Argentines have been more impressive than they're getting credit for. It reminds me of Canada at the last winter Olympics in hockey. On paper it should be this amazing team that scores 4 a game and runs everyone out of the building, in practice you have a coach that wants strong defense every game. So no one is impressed with the flash, but oh in the end they won and no one could score on them to save their lives.

Netherlands, obviously, is the big test of that one.

Ultimately you can´t argue with the results Argentinia got so far. I´d just say their weird system, which had three people staying up front not doing any defensive work at all while still being slow on the breaks, would have killed them against any bigger site. That´s was why Messi was paddling back during their quarter final, something he hadn´t done all tournament up until then. They looked best against Belgium, so maybe the goal was not to destroy and dominate easier opponents just to go out early in the ko stage like they did in pretty much all the tournaments since their last final appearance in 1990, but to start calm and play a controlled style. Messi will always be a decisive factor for them, but he has stopped being their only offensive weapon over the last few days. He still played a major part in their goals, but it was not the Lionel-Messi-Show. Argentina - as composed as they are and with quite the luck of draw up until the semi-final - should be slight favourites to win this one.

Out of the final four however, there are no real odds on favourites. Both semi-finals are just way too close to decide who goes through. The Dutch have shown a great mentality this tournament and if Argentina gives them any room they will hurt the Gauchos. Robben could make stuff happen with three to four players on his heels against a team sitting back since about the 60th minute, imagine what he does if a team continues to at least try making efforts on offense.

As for Germany v Brazil, this one is really tough to call. All the emotion and drama surrounding Neymar is far more than the usual momentum you are building when getting to the semis of your Home-World Cup. Both teams have a pool of talented players and competent coaches. The lack of Neymar up front will mean a Brazil that will be playing vastly different than it did so far. I actually don´t have any idea if they´ll be easier or tougher to play, but they will most definetly be way harder to figure out if their attacking isn´t "Let´s give the ball to our superstar and let him dash to the front all alone". I would consider Brazil slight favourites if just for the home advantage, they have been unbeaten playing in Brazil for quite a while and they´ll have an emotionalized and enthusiastic crowd behind them. However, sometimes players can crumble in that situations, it might always backfire. It has looked as if on numerous occasions in this World Cup this Brazilian squad began to crumble with the pressure coming from their home crowd and this is where Germany´s biggest chance lies.

Interesting read indeed. I feared something like that. I heard the WC 2006 didn´t do much for Germany and South Africa was a total farce aswell. The John Oliver sketch someone posted weeks ago was spot on. "FIFA takes money from you you don´t even know you had." Something along those lines.

I had a dream last night that David Luiz scored an amazing goal in the semi final. He picked up the ball on the left wing made a big run, ended up cutting through three guys, then deked out Neuer one on one and scored a goal into the bottom left corner.

Naturally I view this more as a nightmare then a herald of glorious prophecy.

You are aware that if this actually happens, we Germans will put you into an aquarium and have you predict World Cup and EURO results up until you die, aren´t you?

Everyone, have some great fun with the semis. The quarterfinal seemed to be lacking a little steam, but I think the remaining teams will do their very best and give us two immense games. I will be on the edge for pretty much the next 24 hours anyway I assume, no matter what the outcome will be.

• Like 3

So, like always we consider ourselves the favorite in a semi-final (against Brazil). And like always, we will play for 3rd place....

And I found this scenario very funny, in case Germany seems to win the game, the following will happen, after the picture suddenly gets blurry:

*Goal from Ronaldo (2002)*

*fast cut to the bench from Brasil, where they celebrate the win (1994)*

*a crying Bastian Schweinsteiger (in Bayern Munich jersey)*

*cut to Löw, who leaves the picture flying to heaven*

"Jogi Loew has returned to his home planet"

*rotating Ronaldo heads*

*End of the broadcast (still seeing rotating Ronaldo heads)*