DVDVR Message Board

The 2014 NBA Finals

Dolfan in NYC

The bench struggled way too much in the 3rd for whatever reasons. They were pretty sloppy and the TOs were ridiculous.

I know it's a WHAT IF, but I do feel that if LeBron hadn't gotten hurt, the Spurs still would have won, just probably not as decisively. The Spurs got into a great rhythm in the 4th that would have been hard to snap even if LeBron had been on the court.

Something I'd be curious to know: Do NBA teams use default sports drink formulations? Or do they customize the electrolyte balance and osmolarity by player? I'd think that they must. Given that, it seems odd to me that his cramping problems persist, since it would be the easiest thing to create a customized sports drink for Lebron's sweat rate. Leg cramps do also frequently arise from muscle damage, which is why we see them at the end of endurance races, even when the temperature isn't extreme. Possible Lebron just plays so much - and always with so much "fast twitch" emphasis - that his leg muscles give out sometimes? 

LeBron seems to be predisposed to cramping, so I'd say you're on to something here.  It wasn't the temprature so much, but a combination of everything.  Still, you'd think the Heat training staff would have some type of ointment on hand to help keep him in the game.

If anything, this should motivate Powerade to develop a line of drinks specific to certain needs.  They'd make a fortune with specialized sports drinks--LeBron being the first endorser, of course.

Some people are much more prone to leg cramps and from what a doctor told me personally it usually has to do with how much water your body retains water.  Some people sweat much more than others, and therefore extreme heat doesn't help.  So he could have been drinking Gatorade, Powerade, or anything else but it really doesn't matter if he sweats it all out.  When I was suffering a lot of leg cramps as a low level high school football player the doctor told me that I needed to eat at least one banana a day whether I was working out or not, and drink as much as my body would hold before working out.  For the most part it worked, but if it was a really hot day, or I worked out for longer than usual I'd still cramp, it is just how my body works.  I've literally drank two 32 oz. Gatorades on the way to working out, and still cramped up, sometimes it just doesn't matter.  LeBron's legs cramped up because LeBron's legs cramp up, there are things he can do to help the situation, but I don't see anyone or anything to blame other than that is how his body works. 

Oh yeah, anyone who says someone else would have played with the cramps is dumb, because you can't play when your legs don't move.

• Like 1

Every human's body is different. LeBron's body allows him to do things no one else in the world can really do. But, unfortunately, his body doesn't respond well to heat and he needs more hydration than most people. I mean, it makes sense -- if you're built like that dude and run around like a maniac all over the court and exert yourself in the post on both ends, you're going to expend more fluids. And at the same time, he probably needs more fluids to begin with.

It is what it is and I'm assuming dolts like Jim Rose and Skip Bayless will have a field day for this, comparing it to the Flu Game or whatever. But Jordan's body is different. So was his ability to manipulate the press and love of conning people. We never saw him curled up in bed with the shakes. We did see LeBron completely paralyzed with muscle spasms.

If I was a real Spurs fan I would be trying to put the end to all of this "Lebron is just soft and weak because of the cramps" talk because one thing Lebron loves is to prove people wrong for at least the next game.   Definitely don't want to lose game 2

Yeah, I'm definitely in the camp that says give Lebron a pass here.  I've wrestled in some sweltering conditions before, and had my body just shut down.  Shit happens.  A friend of mine who played football for Mississippi State and the Bills for a while put it in perspective.  You can still run around and play with the flu if you take the proper precautions and medicate.  You can't play if your body shuts down.

• Like 1

It is what it is and I'm assuming dolts like Jim Rose and Skip Bayless will have a field day for this, comparing it to the Flu Game or whatever. But Jordan's body is different. So was his ability to manipulate the press and love of conning people. We never saw him curled up in bed with the shakes. We did see LeBron completely paralyzed with muscle spasms.

Well, speaking of Jordan: first of all, he actually had food poisoning, not the flu.  I have long believed that he wasn't anywhere near as sick as he acted or was portrayed.  

Well, speaking of Jordan: first of all, he actually had food poisoning, not the flu.  I have long believed that he wasn't anywhere near as sick as he acted or was portrayed.  

And if you ask Jalen Rose, you'll get a significantly less heroic story.

Lighting: Romantic Candlelight (1)

Bathrooms: The Floor (1)

Baskets: David Robinson make a hoop out of his arms (1)

Air Conditiion: Lance Stephenson (1)

Beverages: Swallow Your Spit (1)

Scoreboard: Tony Parker periodically yells out the score (1)

Total: 6, I pocket the remaining $17 after forcing the city to pay for 50% of constriction though tax brakes and sales taxes because I threatened to move the team to Seattle or KC. Also I turn my initial investment or $0 into a $1.5 billion when I sell the team after a media scandal.

• Like 6

Idiot on twitter "lebron is a poooossy and he quit because things weren't going his way"

Me "the Heat were winning when the cramping started..."

Iot "he is a diva and a poooooooosy. He quit on purpose."

Me "so him faking cramps and watching his team lose, because he is a poooossy, is more likely than the cramps being real?"

Iot "i'm from Cleveland and..."

ME "oh....ok...I get it pal. My bad. He's a pooooossy brah."