DVDVR Message Board

E3 2014.

It's been beaten to death across the internet but "Golf without limits" was so gloriously stupid.

Yeah, I kinda did everybody a disservice by not mentioning the freaking battleship in the trailer.  100 lashes for me!

I got a really strong Raoul Silva vibe from the villain in Far Cry 4. I kept waiting for him to tell the main character about his grandmother owning a mountain.

And The Division is even more foreboding than The Last Of Us somehow. I just hope Ubisoft doesn't screw it up. I'd rather it be a single player game than have tacked-on multiplayer. Maybe just have it be a co-op campaign.

I got a really strong Raoul Silva vibe from the villain in Far Cry 4. I kept waiting for him to tell the main character about his grandmother owning a mountain.

And The Division is even more foreboding than The Last Of Us somehow. I just hope Ubisoft doesn't screw it up. I'd rather it be a single player game than have tacked-on multiplayer. Maybe just have it be a co-op campaign.

I could be wrong here, but The Division is not a single player game.  It's a coop, MMO shooter.  So there will be no story mode like Last of Us.  It will be an always online co-op game, which quite a few developers seem to be making now.

I played the single-player Far Cry 4 demo at E3 today.  You can ride an elephant into battle.  Devs described the villain as Vaas 2.0.  They also said they'd like to do another thing like Blood Dragon.

I'm fine with the Order being RE 1886 if it plays well. I'm really into The Evil Within. Sure it looks like it contains many genre tropes but I don't care I like survival horror games. 

I played The Order too.  Honestly the way it plays reminds me a lot of Uncharted just with a weird steampunk alternate history plot and setting.

I could be wrong here, but The Division is not a single player game.  It's a coop, MMO shooter.  So there will be no story mode like Last of Us.  It will be an always online co-op game, which quite a few developers seem to be making now.

It can be played alone... in theory

While The Division may be more of a multiplayer centric title, it seems that Ubisoft Massive are taking into account players who want to play the game alone, or may not have the option to play the game online.

A user named dark_grom asked if players can “jump between “single player mode” and multiplayer mode with the same character”. According to the Ubisoft Massive representative answering the questions, “The game is built around seamless online integration. Going from playing alone, to playing in a group, to playing PvP will all be handled with very little or no interruption.”

If you’re wondering what he means by seamless integration, Need for Speed: Rivals is a game that featured seamless integration wherein you could instantly jump from playing alone to playing online with another group of players. The difference between the two, according to Ubisoft is that “there won’t be any offline support” for The Division.

EDIT - Another quote I found

Ubisoft’s new IP The Division, can be played solo if you don’t have friends (like me) or if you just want to play the game alone. 

Here is what Ubisoft had to say about playing the game multiplayer or not:

First, it’s important to note that The Division is fully playable solo. (“It’s a wonderful single-player game!” Barnard promises.) So you lonely types, go on… play it as you like. But for the rest of us, The Division promises a rich, varied and seamless multiplayer experience that includes co-operative tactical action, factional conflicts, and full-on player-vs-player (PvP). “What a lot of games do in this genre is split it,” Barnard says. “So I play my single-player experience and then I’m kind of done with that part of the game. Or I go play multiplayer or PvP. We want to approach this differently. We want to make it part of the journey and make it part of the main experience for the game.”

The Need for Speed mention is the most troubling to me since - ya know - I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO PAUSE A FUCKING GAME!

Put on a Depends, gramps.

Interesting. I researched the developer and while I've never heard of or played the games The Chinese Room developed for the PC, it seems like the reviews were solid. And getting help from Sony's Santa Monica Studio can't hurt.

I am most excited for Rainbow Six: Siege out of this E3.... I saw something, maybe on IGN, a recap show panel type of thing, each had their own favorites, and one of those guys was like "Rainbow Six is the TRUTH!"  I agree with his statement.   

Also The Division, man....I hope that it lives up to what little it showed there.

I'm so burnt out on Call of Duty right now....I couldn't even stomach to watch much their thing.  

Destiny, I mean, I've been excited for this for MONTHS now, and I got to see a good chunk of it here, and I was like ....."eh, borderhalo/halolands"   andI didn't much care for Borderlands *ducks board members throwing rotten fruit/veggies/eggs and various bodily fluids* so idk, maybe not as excited now for it, but still probably going to get it.  Probably on a PS4

I am most excited for Rainbow Six: Siege out of this E3.... I saw something, maybe on IGN, a recap show panel type of thing, each had their own favorites, and one of those guys was like "Rainbow Six is the TRUTH!"  I agree with his statement.   

Also The Division, man....I hope that it lives up to what little it showed there.

I'm so burnt out on Call of Duty right now....I couldn't even stomach to watch much their thing.  

Destiny, I mean, I've been excited for this for MONTHS now, and I got to see a good chunk of it here, and I was like ....."eh, borderhalo/halolands"   andI didn't much care for Borderlands *ducks board members throwing rotten fruit/veggies/eggs and various bodily fluids* so idk, maybe not as excited now for it, but still probably going to get it.  Probably on a PS4

I felt the same way about Destiny until playing it and it's really, really great. 30 minute epic boss battles, really difficult enemy AI and spawning, sweet teamwork, and just a great balance on everything.

And, you echoed my sentiments on Rainbow 6. That is going to be phenomenal if the gameplay lives up to the trailer. There are so many good co-op games coming out within the next year, I may actually have a reason to use my mic!

• Like 1

I'm cautiously optimistic about Rainbow Six: Siege.

It looks really great, but given how multiplayer communities for games dry up very quickly, I hope that Ubisoft has part of the focus be on the single player campaign too or at least allow vs AI bots for multiplayer too.

Otherwise, if it's like most multiplayer games I've played where there are trolls ruining the experience, people not paying attention, playing music over their headsets, arguing with someone in the room about going to work, etc., it's going to be a long game.

EDIT: I also was pleasantly surprised by Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. There were lots of little bits that didn't feel like Call of Duty, but felt like other games such as Killzone: Shadowfall

I'm cautiously optimistic about Rainbow Six: Siege.

It looks really great, but given how multiplayer communities for games dry up very quickly, I hope that Ubisoft has part of the focus be on the single player campaign too or at least allow vs AI bots for multiplayer too.

Otherwise, if it's like most multiplayer games I've played where there are trolls ruining the experience, people not paying attention, playing music over their headsets, arguing with someone in the room about going to work, etc., it's going to be a long game.

EDIT: I also was pleasantly surprised by Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. There were lots of little bits that didn't feel like Call of Duty, but felt like other games such as Killzone: Shadowfall

It's important to have friends playing. I'm sure we can get a group of at least 5 players on here on each Xbone and PS4 to form teams.