DVDVR Message Board

2014 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

Turtle Power just took down the Guardians of the Galaxy.  Never doubt ninjas.

Also, I didn't put the new TMNT movie on my box office list so I'm all for it making as much money as possible.  Wreck some of these lists.  #JusticeforJupiterAscending

I'm kind of wary of this Expendables 3 flick.  Not hearing a lot of buzz or anticipation of it coming out.  We'll see...

FYI, Friday's update will be a few hours later than usual.

GotG just had the highest second weekend of any movie this summer, btw.

EDIT:  And has the best total through 10 days of any movie all year.

That second part probably means it will in fact end up #1 on the box office list.  It had been lagging behind Transformers 4 up until the 10-day mark.

I keep hearing people and writers say this summer's blockbuster movies have been lackluster, yet I look at this game's list and I see 10 movies over the $100 million mark (Lucy might get over the hurdle too to make it 11).  Plus, 5 movies with a 90 percent or better Rotten Tomatoes score.

Not bad. 

There's been a lack of serious MEGA hits this year.  Nothing has gone over 300 million, much less 400.

I all but guarantee that Mockingjay will solve the first one, and likely the second, but, as it stand right now, there hasn't been a year without a 400 million (domestic) movie since 2011 when Deathly Hallows Part 2 topped out at 381.  And that was an aberration, as before that, the last was 2007 (Spider-Man 3 at 336.)

The last year we didn't have a 300 million dollar movie was all the way back in 2000 (when The Grinch topped the box office with just 260.)

Compare to just last year, when Catching Fire did 424, Iron Man 3 did 409, Frozen did 400, Despicable Me 2 did 368, and Man of Steel rounded out the top 5 at 291, more than any film released this year in the domestic market.

Just stop and think that The Grinch topped the yearly box office for a moment and consider how strange that sounds.

I did a legit double-take looking that up.  Seriously?

Plus, tickets are more expensive now. I'm not sure what's going on. Are people burnt out on blockbusters? Are Blu Rays doing big business? Is it because the Blu Rays are released sooner? Just a weird year?

If you buy into that Spielberg/Lucas idea, this might be the beginning of it.

It does seem we're at a point where it will be hard to fit in more attempts at a "blockbuster" in one summer than we are doing now. Oversaturation perhaps, but it's pretty unlikely that trend just changes overnight considering studios plan like 2-3 years ahead for production schedule.

Just stop and think that The Grinch topped the yearly box office for a moment and consider how strange that sounds.

I did a legit double-take looking that up.  Seriously?

Plus, tickets are more expensive now. I'm not sure what's going on. Are people burnt out on blockbusters? Are Blu Rays doing big business? Is it because the Blu Rays are released sooner? Just a weird year?

If you buy into that Spielberg/Lucas idea, this might be the beginning of it.

I can't remember what my initial take was on that but it would make sense..

Lord knows I am not going to track release dates and see how this compares to past years through this point, but a quick glance that is flawed up front.

We have had 20 100 million (domestic) so far this year.

2013 had 35.

2012 had 31.

(Also, as of the end of last weekend, the box office was down 5.5% through the same point last year, after getting a bit of a bump the last two weeks with GotG and, too a lesser extent, TMNT)

SAVE US TEENAGE MUTANT NINJAS TURTLES. 

I wonder how much Turtles will drop this weekend.  Not sure if it's enough of a kids' movie to keep it from the hard drop.  Maybe.

I actually think that Lets Be Cops movie might have a solid opening.

Edited by _MJ_

I think the issue this summer and last summer is that all of the big blockbuster-type movies are getting kinda same-y. Seems like every week there's another city being obliterated, another world that needs saving, another all-powerful MacGuffin that needs questing after, another Chosen One who has to fulfill their destiny.

You might say that Hollywood has been making those movies for decades now, and that's true...but they weren't making two fucking dozen of them every year and then dumping them out in a 5-month period. Hollywood used to make, like, 3-5 of those sorts of movies per year, and then the rest would be...you know, other types of stories. Now it's all just one volume level, all summer long, with most of the movies matching each other almost beat-by-beat.

People can only be arsed to care about the world being saved so many times.

On top of that, you have this new wave of franchise mania where every movie is about setting up the next movie, and the movie after that, and the movie after that. (Sony's Spider-Man franchise is the worst about this by far.) Eventually people wise up and realize there's no sense in hurrying out to see the movies, because they won't get the whole story for another 5 years, or however long.

The box office may be down 5.5% over last year! but there's also been around 50 fewer movies out in 2014 than 2013. That's a pretty significant drop.

I'd imagine that is the other problem with everything being a blockbuster, blockbusters require more screens than non-blockbusters which mean that there is less screens for other movies.

I feel like the two things I've taken away from movie commercials this summer are how few movies I've seen advertised and how many movies I thought were already out but actually weren't.

I wonder how much Turtles will drop this weekend.  Not sure it's enough of a kids movie to keep it from the hard drop.  Maybe.

I am totally hoping that The Giver has strong reviews and sneaks through the back door to first place.

I wonder how much Turtles will drop this weekend. Not sure it's enough of a kids movie to keep it from the hard drop. Maybe.

I am totally hoping that The Giver has strong reviews and sneaks through the back door to first place.

Prob not the best week for a funny cop movie.

• Like 2